Workplace challenges to new eating habits

Options
trelm249
trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
What are your workplace challenges to cleaner eating and sticking with the better choices?

A few I deal with are -

The rest of my team goes offsite for lunch everyday and it is typically fast food with emphasis on Fried and high sodium. So I bring my lunch (leftovers of whatever I cook) and eat in the breakroom. As a result, I am largely pariah. Particularly for the team whiner who is too impatient and inept to even scramble an egg for himself (the guy literally eats out three times a day 7 days a week).

So times when outages occur or a boatload of cascading meetings are scheduled, getting my regular snack at mid morning or mid afternoon falls through the cracks.

Replies

• mike_hill
    mike_hill Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have been rather fortunate that the workplace food challenges are fairly low key and infrequent. They moved my desk from the 9th floor (close to break room, vending machines and the daily bagel/donut table) down to 7 and it is a lot quieter here. I really have to go out of my way to make poor choices. My closest coworker is Vegetarian and he brings his food most days as well.

Similar to trelm, busy times with work can eclipse scheduled food times. Occasionally, I eat lunch really late and my mid morning snack turns into a lunch appetizer :) Not a huge deal, I have plenty of water through the day and that helps stave off my hunger.
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    The challenge here is that we celebrate EVERYTHING with food. 'So-and-so is retiring... POTLUCK!', 'It's so-and-so's birthday - lunch out!!', 'There was a 5.6 earthquake in Oklahoma... LET's EAT BBQ!'

So - it really has to be all about self-control and making smart choices.

I jacked that up BIG TIME at lunch today. I keep saying to myself that I will be walking again at 2 and I will be at Body Combat class tonight... but still - not good choices at lunch.
  • lorals05
    Options
    The biggest issues with my meals at work are:
    1. The cafeteria is disgusting
    2. No room for anyone's food in the fridge...ever...
    3. Even if there is a sliver of space in the fridge, the other girls tend to eat my food :-(

So I usually run out and grab whatever fast food is easy and I can eat at my desk-if I get a chance to eat. I usually get calls over lunch that require me to put my lunch on hold and help whoever is calling...which usually leads to me skipping lunch....