Favorite places to run/hike/bike?

Options
Ok everyone, now that we're getting acquainted, here's a question. I've only been in DC for a month so I'm still discovering things and I wanted to know everyone's favorite places to run, hike or bike.

I live near Rock Creek Park and I am starting to explore there and I've also had fun biking along the Metropolitan Bike Trail. What other hidden gems are out there?

Replies

• liveinthemix
    liveinthemix Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, hiker, or biker, but I do know alot of people go to Great Falls (which I believe is in Northern VA, bordering the Potomac).. I've seen pics from there and it looks amazing..

Also the capital crescent trail is pretty good i hear.. check it out! http://www.cctrail.org/

:)
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend joining a running club even if just for a year...get to meet people and a lot of parks placesand those hidden gems!
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I usually just run near me, but hikingwise I have to agree Great Falls (on both the VA and MD side) is pretty sweet. I have been meaning to check out Rock Creek park now that I've grown through it a bunch....
  • notoriouslyKEN
    notoriouslyKEN Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a loop around my neighborhood that is just over a mile (1.1) and I use that for running now. I really want to get one of those Garmin GPS watches so I can monitor my pace and run around wherever I want and know the distance I am traveling.

Rock Creek Park is a great run/bike route as it starts (or ends) in Derwood and goes all the way into DC. I have rode my bike from Derwood to DC and back and it was a 26 mile route. The whole trail is longer than that though.

Great Falls is part of the C&O Canal Trail and is hundreds of miles long. I know people hike that and camp in spots on their way to Ohio. I have only been around the Great Falls area, but it is a beautiful trail to be on.

Seneca Creek Trail is another fun trail, but I have only run on the northern end of that (from Gaithersburg to Damascus). I think that section is called the Greenway Trail.
  • notoriouslyKEN
    notoriouslyKEN Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Duplicate post...
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I have a loop around my neighborhood that is just over a mile (1.1) and I use that for running now. I really want to get one of those Garmin GPS watches so I can monitor my pace and run around wherever I want and know the distance I am traveling.

If you have a smartphone there's a great app called Runkeeper that does exactly that.
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Circuit hikes up in Shennandoah National Forest. Don't get up there much, but the trails are rated and generally well kept.
  • insaindon
    Options
    I ran for a bus. . . . once. . . . in 1984. I did not catch it. :(
  • fairfieldbeach
    fairfieldbeach Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Washington & Old Dominion trail--goes from Falls Church/Arlington all the way out to Purcellville, Va.
  • LittleFootLT11
    Options
    I'm not a runner, hiker, or biker, but I do know alot of people go to Great Falls (which I believe is in Northern VA, bordering the Potomac).. I've seen pics from there and it looks amazing..

Also the capital crescent trail is pretty good i hear.. check it out! http://www.cctrail.org/

:)

I have been on the capital crescent tail! LOL I didn't realize it until I clicked on the link! It will be even better once it's finished! And this weekend I'll be heading out to Great Falls on the many recommendations I've received (including all of yours) so I'll report back for everyone!
    I highly recommend joining a running club even if just for a year...get to meet people and a lot of parks placesand those hidden gems!

I'd love to join a running club! Any suggestions on where I can find ones near me?

Seneca Creek Trail is another fun trail, but I have only run on the northern end of that (from Gaithersburg to Damascus). I think that section is called the Greenway Trail.

This sounds wonderful. It's on my list. Thanks!
    Circuit hikes up in Shennandoah National Forest. Don't get up there much, but the trails are rated and generally well kept.

I went out to the Shenandoah's a few weeks back to hike in the foliage. I've done sections of the Appalachian Trail and I'm determined to tackle the park next because it was so wonderful!
    Washington & Old Dominion trail--goes from Falls Church/Arlington all the way out to Purcellville, Va.

This sounds wonderful as well, I'll add it to my list! Thanks!
  • ondogirl
    ondogirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If you're willing to venture out of the city, my favorite spot is Cedarville State Park in Brandywine, MD. I've taken the dogs and kids hiking through the trails. Also, there is a lake for fishing. It is not that crowded which is what I like the most about it.

Also, I believe there's hunting available, I think. And a shooting range.
  • LittleFootLT11
    Options
    If you're willing to venture out of the city, my favorite spot is Cedarville State Park in Brandywine, MD. I've taken the dogs and kids hiking through the trails. Also, there is a lake for fishing. It is not that crowded which is what I like the most about it.

Also, I believe there's hunting available, I think. And a shooting range.

I'll definitely look into it! I love the water so you got me on the mention of a lake!
  • LittleFootLT11
    Options
    BTW, for those who are interested and had never been to Great Falls before, here are some pictures from today's adventure there. We spent about three hours there and hiked around six miles with a nice lunch break by the water. It was a little crowded on the trails closer in to the visitor's center but as you got farther out you were really able to lose yourself in the woods. It was a wonderful day for a hike! I'd highly recommend it!

2BPmB.jpg

This is at one of the three "lookout points" close to the falls. It's gorgeous!

SAvMA.jpg

This is the general difficulty of the trails, which is to say, not at all. The leaves were beautiful and with the exception of one or two hillier climbs I'd rate most of the trails as easy

Kd1uY.jpg

This was one of the last trails we went on and it is right by the water above the falls so it was very calm and relaxing!

Everyone should go! This weekend is free admission to the park and normally it's only 5$ anyway so DO IT!! :-)
  • liveinthemix
    liveinthemix Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    That looks awesome!! I gotta get up and get out there some time!! that first picture is stunning!!!
  • LittleFootLT11
    Options
    That looks awesome!! I gotta get up and get out there some time!! that first picture is stunning!!!

Just fixed all of them so you can see them. It's pretty nice out there!
  • justler6
    justler6 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Went to Gambrill State Park awhile ago and took some pictures... there's some good places to walk there if you're in the Frederick area.

IMG_5877.JPG?m=1321139044

IMG_5901.JPG?m=1321139624
  • horror_hamster
    Options
    I love the mount vernon trail. Get yourself to the key bridge, cross over to rosslyn and follow that trail all the way up to the Mt. Vernon estate. I biked it a couple years ago, it was beautiful (especially this time of year when the district still has some color in the trees) You get a nice mix of country/wooded trails, you get to go through olde town alexandria, and you end at the mt. vernon estate. Which is worth the ride/run.

The whole trail is just over 18 miles, i believe. http://bikewashington.org/trails/vernon/index.php

Edit: for distance
  • pirate4hire
    Options
    A great site for hikes in the area is Hiking Upward http://www.hikingupward.com/ it gives you trail loops to follow with distances and elevation changes. There is a pretty good 5 mile loop around Great Falls called Difficult Run and you can add on Riverbend (park adjacent to Great Falls) for another 3 miles. Pro-tip, there is a free parking area for Great Falls as well, you just have to hike in from it. It's also listed on the trail page.

Very handy with descriptive text so you take the right trails when you come to a cross roads as well. Never needed a GPS on the hikes themselves just getting to some of the places.
  • GFreg
    GFreg Posts: 404
    Options
    A great site for hikes in the area is Hiking Upward http://www.hikingupward.com/ it gives you trail loops to follow with distances and elevation changes. There is a pretty good 5 mile loop around Great Falls called Difficult Run and you can add on Riverbend (park adjacent to Great Falls) for another 3 miles. Pro-tip, there is a free parking area for Great Falls as well, you just have to hike in from it. It's also listed on the trail page.

Very handy with descriptive text so you take the right trails when you come to a cross roads as well. Never needed a GPS on the hikes themselves just getting to some of the places.

Wow that site sounds amazing! I will definitely check it out. Thanks for the info.