First Camera

Options
I was introduced to photography in 1987 by a friend of mine in when I was a senior in high school and fell in love instantly. After playing with his and borrowing my Dad's when he wasn't looking, I decided to just buy my own. I had been saving all my money from jobs and other sources and had enough to buy my own camera and decided on the Nikon F-401 for my first camera. From there, I learned as much as I could form the photography classes in high school as I could. Taking pictures of football games, animals, nature and anything else that drew my interest. After graduation, I continued to use my F-401 for a year or so until I went into the military.

After boot camp, my parents brought me my camera so I continue to shoot and take pictures as I traveled. But to my surprise, they offered my a "graduation" present which consisted of upgrading to a bigger camera. That brought me into my first Professional line of camera the Nikon F4s. Combining my own money, I walked away from the camera store with a few filters, a couple new lenses to go with to original lenses that I already had and a few other odds and ends.

For the next three years I used this camera while over seas and abroad. Until one day when all of my equipment was destroyed via military shipment when I returned home to the United States. Of course the military blamed me for improper packing for the damage even though this same equipment traveled with me 7 different countries and packed the same way every time.

Long story short, I lost all my gear. I was able to re-coop some of the cost by selling it to a local camera shop for scrap.

It was not until 2008 that I began picking the hobby back up, building my gear up and falling in love again with the art.

Replies

• Tmbrooks75
    Tmbrooks75 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Canon Powershot ELPH 100 HS. Its ok... even with my limited use of it, I am longing for a nice DSLR. HA! not that I know what I am doing or how to use it. :)
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I own a Nikon D3100. I had a D3000 but was able to sell it and get the D3100 months ago because I thought i'd like having the live view feature...but I NEVER use it. I have a SB 600 external flash that I'm still learning and playing with if anyone has tips for me! =)
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I had a Polaroid, briefly in the sixth grade. And then in high school my dad gave me his camera, a Pentax MX, I now have quite a little Pentax museum in my closet, ending with my current K7. I shot a video with it for a musician. I prefer stills though. I shoot out of my home and crave the day I can set my gear up permanently in a studio, instead of having to tear it down in order to get my living room back. I have two and a half years of college training in photography/photoshop and most of my work lately has been photo restoration.
  • Tegan74
    Tegan74 Posts: 202
    Options
    I've had (or borrowed LOL) a lot of point and shoot cameras over the yrs. I got a Nikon N54 about 5 yrs ago, then a cool pix (I couldnt stand having nature/landscapes and my kids on the same roll of film) From there I went to a Nikon D80 and I LOVE IT. I'm not big into change so dont know that I'm going to upgrade until my D80 dies :p until then I just drool over the new cameras.
  • shelltree
    shelltree Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I started off with just a simple Powershot then got my first second hand DSLR. I've been using that ever since with a couple of new lenses that I purchased. It was only at the beginning of this year that I finally got my very own, NEW dslr. Unfortunately about a month ago I was hit by a wave taking photos on the coast and my camera stopped working, I was devestated :( Have now replaced it with a new one and have changed my insurance to cover "actions of the sea". So I really feel your pain CountryDevil :( it is a horrible feeling having something you treasure so much, destroyed!

I also have a battery operated film slr that I have been using recently, it is wonderful!
  • wml_77
    wml_77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My first camera was a Kodak 110 with the flash cube! I now own a Kodak Z980. You can check out how well it does at "Wendysue Photography" on facebook.
  • cathrinebock
    Options
    My first SLR was a Pentax K1000 as a freshman in college. When I started my business, I had the Canon Rebel XTi. But, I only shot 3 weddings with it before realizing how limiting it was, especially in low light. From there I got a Canon 40D. And the last few years I've shot with the Canon 5D Mark ii. I love it except for the autofocus system.
  • jtsmou
    jtsmou Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    My very first camera was an Kodak instamatic. My first SLR was a Pentax K1000, and I used it for years. I also had a Minolta SRT 101, but could never find lenses for it for some reason. I graduated to Canons with the EOS 650, then a couple Elans (I still have those ones).

I still have a preference for film, and currently use a couple Yashicas (an SLR and a Rangefinder), and a Canon digital rebel as a backup.
  • WilhelmCF
    WilhelmCF Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My first camera was a plastic Diana camera with a 3 stop diaphragm . It used medium format film, either 160 or 120. It got me started.
  • ajs03
    ajs03 Posts: 32
    Options
    My first camera was a little purple 110 film camera from my mom. She bought it from Avon I think as a Christmas or birthday gift when I was a kid (about 12).
  • thegeordielass
    thegeordielass Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My first camera (that wasn't disposable was a Canon Snappy EZ. I got it to go to Canada when I was 16. It's broken now (the battery doesn't stay in, shutter broken) but I remember it being great at the time. It's a massive brick though, lol.
    My first digital camera was a Canon powershot a75 when I was a teenager. I remember it being the height of exciting at the time! I've still got it even though it doesn't work and it has a 128mb (yes, mb!) memory card. I don't think I'd even get 1 of my current camera's photos on there, lol. It got some not half bad photos on a trip to Switzerland for me though.
    After that broke (when I was about 22?), I got a FujiFilm Finepix F50fd. It quite like it even though it's pretty dated now. It does the job and is my go-to point and shoot.

I moved into the DSLR world with a Nikon D60 for Christmas/Yule in 2008. It was a present from my uncle as I was getting more and more into photography and the little Fuji wasn't cutting it. I spent hours agonizing over if I should go Nikon or Canon but opted for the Nikon. It's a great camera as a beginner DSLR and got very, very well used! I've now upgraded (as of Yule 2011) to a D7000 which is amazing and which I love to pieces and can see myself staying with until a) I get enough money to go full frame (unlikely) or b) it breaks and has to be replaced - hopefully not for a veeeeery long time.
  • Earguy
    Earguy Posts: 35
    Options
    Hmmm. My real first camera was probably a brownie-box circa 1969 at age 8. Dad would only let me have black and white film, and he admonished me to not waste the film. I had a no-name 110 camera in high school. My first real camera was a Konica TC 35mm SLR, which I kept until about two years ago.

From there, I got the Canon 7e film body - Eye control Focus! Didn't work great for me because I wear eyeglasses while I shoot, but I think it'd be a cool feature to bring back.

Then off to DLSR's...Canon 10D, 30D, now 60D, lusting for a 7D. The addiction continues...
  • grnqueen
    grnqueen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I had a Pentax SLR in high school over 23 years ago (long time ago) after that I had a point ant shoot until I remarried and got a mid range Nikon P90 (old) When that camera wouldn't focus anymore everyone told me to go back to dslr and I bought a D5000. I still have it, and now it is not working properly either :( I've been hoping to buy a new one this year D7000 would be fine but I would love a D600 as well. Hoping I can find a new job before I get laid off in March so I can have my new camera.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Check out KEH.com

They're in Atlanta and deal in new and used equipment. Their descriptions of their used stuff is accurate and true. Customer service is great as well, I got a used lens from them that don't focus properly, and they sent a replacement out the day I emailed them about it.

Picked up a D90 a couple years ago in great condition for $under $500.

JM