Transgender Day of Rememberance (TDOR) 2011

2m601hs.png

Source: http://www.transgenderdor.org/

"The Transgender Day of Remembrance was set aside to memorialize those who were killed due to anti-transgender hatred or prejudice. The event is held in November to honor Rita Hester, whose murder on November 28th, 1998 kicked off the “Remembering Our Dead” web project and a San Francisco candlelight vigil in 1999. Rita Hester’s murder — like most anti-transgender murder cases — has yet to be solved.

Although not every person represented during the Day of Remembrance self-identified as transgender — that is, as a transsexual, crossdresser, or otherwise gender-variant — each was a victim of violence based on bias against transgender people."

To read all about TDOR and how you can participate, or to view a list of TDOR events in various locations simply visit the TDOR site. http://www.transgenderdor.org/

We're you aware of TDOR before reading this post? Have you ever participated in a TDOR event or a similar trans-specific event? Do you plan to participate in any way this year?

Replies

• I did. My kids and I will attend an event in Tacoma that day... There's danger everywhere my loves, but that's no reason to hide.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    I'd heard of it but never participated. I will not be attending any event (there is not one near enough to me), but the 20th is now marked on my calendar. Thank you for sharing the information with us and spreading awareness. No one should ever be victimized for being trans*.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    I started attending the TDOR events in college. Don't know if I'll go this year, as I work that day.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    A transgender woman who is very important to me has kindly and patiently shared her experiences and also policy issues faced by transgender people. She introduced me to the book "Whipping Girl" which blew my mind. I'm very disappointed in the mainstream feminist movement for example. I see myself as more LGBT+ Ally than feminist now. I recommend that book for cissexual allys (allies who never had any conflict between perceived and assigned gender).

I've known about the existence of Days of Remembrance, but not ahead of time.I'd like to be involved somehow .. these murders are particularly horrifying. I can't abide that so little is done to get justice, generally.
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    The Unitarian Universalist Church of Flint (michigan) is doing a service on Sunday, focusing on one transgender woman's story. I will be worship associate for that service. I have known several transgender folks, all of whom have faced great and small predjudices.

The ongoing argument in the womyn's community over this gets crazy heated and emotional. Women's fest in michigan has been having arguments over it for years. I disagree with many of my friends and believeall womyn should be welcome.
  • I have known about this, and this year we will be having candle-lighting ceremony at a non-denominational church to remember the victims of transgender violence.

These truly horrifying crimes make me so sad/angry, but hopefully we can bring more awareness to the community.