Thanksgiving Recipes

Options
I saw this and had to post, it sounds so good (I'm a brussel sprout lover)

Roasted Brussels Sprout and Rosemary Red Onions

Ingredients
Serves: 12

1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved

4 small red onions, cut into wedges

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

Directions
Preheat oven to 425F.

Toss Brussels sprouts and onions together with oil, rosemary, salt, and pepper, and arrange in 1 layer on 2 shallow baking sheets. Roast in middle of oven, stirring occasionally, until spouts are golden brown, about 20 minutes.

Toss with cider vinegar and season with additional salt and pepper as desired.

Replies

• rrrbecca11
    Options
    I will definitely try this recipe. I'm a sprouts lover myself. Love them roasted but have not tried this combination of ingredients before. Thanks, girl!
  • tattooedtwiin
    Options
    Eggs Italiano

Ingredients
    Serves: 4

1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
    2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 shallot, minced
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 pound zucchini (about 2 medium), diced
    12 ounces plum tomatoes (3-4), diced
    3 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil, divided
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    Freshly ground pepper to taste
    8 large eggs
    4 whole-wheat English muffins, split and toasted
    2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Directions
    1. Fill a large, straight-sided skillet or Dutch oven with 2 inches of water; bring to a boil. Add white vinegar.

2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallot and garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in zucchini and tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until the zucchini is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in 1 tablespoon basil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.

3. Meanwhile, reduce the boiling water to a gentle simmer; the water should be steaming and small bubbles should come up from the bottom of the pan. Crack each egg into a small bowl and slip them one at a time into the simmering water, taking care not to break the yolks. Cook for 4 minutes for soft set, 5 minutes for medium set and 8 minutes for hard set. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the eggs to a clean kitchen towel to drain.

4. To serve, top each muffin half with some of the vegetable mixture, an egg, a sprinkling of cheese and the remaining basil.

Nutrition Facts
    Per Single Serving / Serves 4 Total
    Calories 329 Calories from fat 126
    Total Fat 14gm 22% Cholesterol 425mg 142%
    Sodium 675mg 28% Total Carbohydrates 31gm 10%
    Fiber 5gm 20% Protein 22gm
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Made this last year and it was DELICIOUS!!!

Crunchy Sweet Brussels Sprout Salad

1 pound Brussels sprouts
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts
    1/2 cup dried cranberries

Shred the Brussels sprouts by removing the core and thinly slicing. Warm the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the Brussels sprouts, nutmeg, and salt and pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring, until the Brussels sprouts are bright and slightly wilted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the walnuts and the cranberries and toss to combine. Turn out into a serving bowl and serve warm.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    This was also a hit last year and will be on our table again this year. It drew rave reviews from the omnis who had no clue it was vegan - until I put it on my plate.

Vegan Apple and Sage Sausage Stuffing

1 package of bread stuffing mix or equivalent of fresh bread of your choice
    1/2 tsp salt
    freshly ground black pepper to taste
    2 tsp seasoning blend (the recipe called for Bell's seasoning and they don't sell that here - I used poultry seasoning)
    1/4 cup butter, vegan margarine, or olive oil
    1/4 cup diced celery
    1 large onion, coarsely chopped
    2 links of Field Roast sausage, crumbled - they were out of the sage kind, so I used the Italian sausage and it was SOOO good
    1 large apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
    2/3 cup roughly chopped nuts - I used hazelnuts
    2 cups water (I used veggie broth)
    If you use water, use 2 tsp of a vegetarian chicken flavored broth mix or 2 veggie bouillon cubes

Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a large casserole dish with nonstick spray.

In a large bowl, mix bread/stuffing mix and seasonings. Toss to mix well.

In a large skillet, heat margarine/oil over medium heat and saute' the onions and celery. Add sausage and apple and nuts. Continue to saute' until the onions are translucent, the apples are just barely cooked (you do not want them mushy), and the nuts are lightly toasted.

Remove from heat and toss with the bread mixture. Heat your broth and add it, a little at a time, to the vegetable/stuffing mixture until it is the consistency you prefer. You do not want it to be mushy. Taste and adjust seasonings.

Transfer to the baking dish. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until heated throughout. Baste with a little broth frequently during the last 10-15 minutes for a crispy top.
  • tattooedtwiin
    Options
    :drinker: Sounds wonderful, thanks for sharing.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    That vegan stuffing sounds so good! I'm going to try that for myself. The rest of the family likes the same ole' vegan Thanksgiving dinner year after year, but I crave new!
  • villos50
    Options
    This sounds very good. I will definitely try it and before Thanksgiving. Thank you