Parents, Guardians, and Family of LGBT+ Persons

Options
Welcome to LGBT+! :flowerforyou:

The fact that you are here indicates that you are supportive or trying to be supportive of your LGBT+ family member(s). Familial support is often something that LGBT+ persons lack, and so we're all very thankful that you're here in support of your family. If you've already got your feelings sorted and are just looking to show support that's awesome. If you're still working on your feelings and need some guidance and information regarding any aspect of our community that's awesome as well and we're all here to help you become the informed and supportive family member you're trying to be.

This thread is especially for you Parents, Guardians, and Family who are looking to share your stories and/or seek advice and information. I hope you'll find this group a great place to be and its members friendly and supportive. :smile:

Cheers,

Candace

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I am Jeannie aka Arewethereyet! First let me say it pained me to delete any and all threads asking for support within the community. I tried to send PM's letting ppl know why. I felt the same way about other groups, but knowing the special issues that are dealt with here made my heart hurt.

So here we are!!!

My daughter disclosed to me she was gay while I was away for the first time from my family for a 3 week training session. She was 16, and other than appearing to have a girl crush on a hottie on the soft ball team, I had no idea.

Uh, thanks hun. It sent me for a loop...........a huge loop. See, I am a Christian. My mom was Catholic and was excommunicated because she a. had me out of wedlock and b. she loved EVERYONE. Didn't care of they were gay, black, white, funny, stupid........mom loved the humans.

Thank God, I had made a friend in training that was THE coolest chick ever, and we are still friends. Jules reminded me NOTHING had changed. All I had to do was look within to see how I felt about it, not what was shoved down my throat for years.

I love Jesus. I love God. I could not beleive he didnt love my baby girl because of who she LOVED. Could not be. I had sat through so many hate filled sermens, I was so sad. I had always thought, "Eh, I love everyone, this is BS" But didnt stand UP, yaknow??

I felt like a hypocrit (sp) So I prayed, prayed until my knees bled. One night I awoke at 2 am......gently nudged awake. Having fallen asleep with the TV on, it was showing a preacher. (a very popular tv evangelist) His face was bright red, he was sweating, he was pounding my belove bible with his fist.

The audience was in a frenzy........seriously folks, it looked like a KKK rally. I 'heard' a voice say THIS IS NOT ME! Huh, confused.......I turned up the volumne. He was talking about the abomonation (sp) that was my pretty girl. Gay marriage was up for vote, and he was discussing....... .............if that is what you call it............making sure to go out and vote.

It was so bad I had a hard time watching, but watch I did. In my I kept hearing "THIS IS NOT ME!" It was not what God is about. He loves me, you, my daughter.

I cried until dawn. And then awoke, went to my daughter and hugged her like no tomorrow.

I am so thankful He revealed himself to me.

As for the issues with HER............well they were many

I love her with all my heart. By the time she was 13 she was 5' tall and 180 pounds. Why? Well then the boys wouldn't look at her!!!

She is 24 now and life is great. She is in nursing school, and has a partner. I was taught hate is not a family value!!

I think my favorite 2 stories are:

When Kelly came out to me I blurted out "But you SUCK at softball!!!"
    ( maybe you need to know my sense of humor, that eased her pain and made her LOL with me!!)

Then there was graduation. Once she came out she began to lose weight and look stunning. She was dressed in a beautiful above the knee white fitted dress, hair shining and blown straight down her back, legs tan and sleek.

The boy she had crushed on in 6th and 7th grade who had dissed the hell out of her came riding by in his hoopdee when she was bent over the trunk getting her gown. He slowed super and stared at her. S L O W.........then went around and came back for more.

I LOL and told Kel this boy had just done that. We made the requisite joke on it being fruitless.............but when he came around again she said "MOM that is ALEX!!!!" We then said BOOYA!

So we laughed and had a wonderful graduation, knowing she was who she is supposed to be.

I wish all families of Gay children had the same response as me, but they don't. My house became the hangout for the girls. They could be thereselves..........but even more I showed them at 14-18 they needed to the themselves. Their CHOICES where not their sexuality, but the way they present themselves to the world. Being gay was not about walking in a parade, but about who you love and are attracted to.

Most of these girls are doign awesome now. Some have told me it is because I loved them. I think it is my prayers for them to feel loved even when family were spewing hate at them. Or sending them away to be 'reprogrammed" Really? Wonder why the suicide rate is so high in this community.

Just want you all to know, I LOVE YOU! Just the way you are
  • robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Well good morning ladies and gents. I am on here because i am a proud momma to a 18 year old LESBIAN! she is a porud lesbian and I am proud of her! She handles everything that comes her way and never backs down no matter what. seh wears slacks and button downs to interviews and walks with a dap but she is my baby no matter what!

she came out to me at about age 10 she said mama is it okay for girls to go with girls and boys! i told her sure as long as its not at the same time! So that opened her door! she is now totally lesbian and not bi so she made her decision although i have heard from me nieces and nephews that she has boyfriends too! she just doesnt let me see them!

I am supportive of any and all genders, associations, or whatever they want to describe themselves as! To each their own just keep it drama free!

HEY YALL FROM GEORGIA!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing both of your stories!

@arewethereyet Have you ever seen the film For the Bible Tells Me So? http://www.forthebibletellsmeso.org/indexb.htm

It is very moving--I cried more than once while watching it. I think it is available on Netflix.

Anyway, my brother is gay. He finally came out to my family last summer (at the age of 23) even though we've known for quite some time and no one had any problem with it whatsoever. I mean, my godfather (my mom's best friend from college) was a gay man! Also, my brother had been living with a man who attended Thanksgiving and Easter brunch with my family and also came to my wedding with my brother--so.... It's not like it was a big surprise. But my brother is just the most private person ever. I doubt that he would ever say anything about his relationship even if he were dating a woman. It just isn't how he rolls.

I am happy that he finally said it out loud to my parents, who were very supportive.
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Thank you for starting this thread. It is so important that parents and family members love and support their LGBT+ children for who they are. My brother (technically, my half-brother) was gay - unfortunately, in March 2010, he took his own life. While he was accepted and loved by my dad and step-mom and the rest of the family, he never found a place where he felt "comfortable". He was super smart and one of the most kind and gentle people I've ever met. I miss him terribly.

Two years ago, my son told me that he is "probably" gay. This is another young man who hasn't found his place. He is a loner and pretty much a recluse. He just turned 19. I worry about him because he has no friends except a few he chats with online. He knows that I am totally supportive of the LGBT+ community and totally supportive of him. I wish I knew how to help him move out into the world...
  • jennor8or
    jennor8or Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thank you for starting this thread. It is so important that parents and family members love and support their LGBT+ children for who they are. My brother (technically, my half-brother) was gay - unfortunately, in March 2010, he took his own life. While he was accepted and loved by my dad and step-mom and the rest of the family, he never found a place where he felt "comfortable". He was super smart and one of the most kind and gentle people I've ever met. I miss him terribly.

Two years ago, my son told me that he is "probably" gay. This is another young man who hasn't found his place. He is a loner and pretty much a recluse. He just turned 19. I worry about him because he has no friends except a few he chats with online. He knows that I am totally supportive of the LGBT+ community and totally supportive of him. I wish I knew how to help him move out into the world...

I just want to suggest looking into PFLAG in your area or a Unitarian Universalist Church (not sure about your beliefs but just a suggestion)...it would give your son an AMAZING way to meet people who would accept and love him for him both in the LGBT community and allies. :)
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options

I am so sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine the pain of losing a sibling, and I can only hope that you and your family have been able to help each other through what must be a very trying time.

You are doing so much or your son by simply being there for him and letting him know that your heart is open to him. Never underestimate the value of that. If only all children had parents who supported them so much.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,710 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I am Jeannie aka Arewethereyet! First let me say it pained me to delete any and all threads asking for support within the community. I tried to send PM's letting ppl know why. I felt the same way about other groups, but knowing the special issues that are dealt with here made my heart hurt.

So here we are!!!

My daughter disclosed to me she was gay while I was away for the first time from my family for a 3 week training session. She was 16, and other than appearing to have a girl crush on a hottie on the soft ball team, I had no idea.

Uh, thanks hun. It sent me for a loop...........a huge loop. See, I am a Christian. My mom was Catholic and was excommunicated because she a. had me out of wedlock and b. she loved EVERYONE. Didn't care of they were gay, black, white, funny, stupid........mom loved the humans.

Thank God, I had made a friend in training that was THE coolest chick ever, and we are still friends. Jules reminded me NOTHING had changed. All I had to do was look within to see how I felt about it, not what was shoved down my throat for years.

I love Jesus. I love God. I could not beleive he didnt love my baby girl because of who she LOVED. Could not be. I had sat through so many hate filled sermens, I was so sad. I had always thought, "Eh, I love everyone, this is BS" But didnt stand UP, yaknow??

I felt like a hypocrit (sp) So I prayed, prayed until my knees bled. One night I awoke at 2 am......gently nudged awake. Having fallen asleep with the TV on, it was showing a preacher. (a very popular tv evangelist) His face was bright red, he was sweating, he was pounding my belove bible with his fist.

The audience was in a frenzy........seriously folks, it looked like a KKK rally. I 'heard' a voice say THIS IS NOT ME! Huh, confused.......I turned up the volumne. He was talking about the abomonation (sp) that was my pretty girl. Gay marriage was up for vote, and he was discussing....... .............if that is what you call it............making sure to go out and vote.

It was so bad I had a hard time watching, but watch I did. In my I kept hearing "THIS IS NOT ME!" It was not what God is about. He loves me, you, my daughter.

I cried until dawn. And then awoke, went to my daughter and hugged her like no tomorrow.

I am so thankful He revealed himself to me.

As for the issues with HER............well they were many

I love her with all my heart. By the time she was 13 she was 5' tall and 180 pounds. Why? Well then the boys wouldn't look at her!!!

She is 24 now and life is great. She is in nursing school, and has a partner. I was taught hate is not a family value!!

I think my favorite 2 stories are:

When Kelly came out to me I blurted out "But you SUCK at softball!!!"
    ( maybe you need to know my sense of humor, that eased her pain and made her LOL with me!!)

Then there was graduation. Once she came out she began to lose weight and look stunning. She was dressed in a beautiful above the knee white fitted dress, hair shining and blown straight down her back, legs tan and sleek.

The boy she had crushed on in 6th and 7th grade who had dissed the hell out of her came riding by in his hoopdee when she was bent over the trunk getting her gown. He slowed super and stared at her. S L O W.........then went around and came back for more.

I LOL and told Kel this boy had just done that. We made the requisite joke on it being fruitless.............but when he came around again she said "MOM that is ALEX!!!!" We then said BOOYA!

So we laughed and had a wonderful graduation, knowing she was who she is supposed to be.

I wish all families of Gay children had the same response as me, but they don't. My house became the hangout for the girls. They could be thereselves..........but even more I showed them at 14-18 they needed to the themselves. Their CHOICES where not their sexuality, but the way they present themselves to the world. Being gay was not about walking in a parade, but about who you love and are attracted to.

Most of these girls are doign awesome now. Some have told me it is because I loved them. I think it is my prayers for them to feel loved even when family were spewing hate at them. Or sending them away to be 'reprogrammed" Really? Wonder why the suicide rate is so high in this community.

Just want you all to know, I LOVE YOU! Just the way you are
    Oh, Jeannie, you have me in tears. Thank you. I love YOU just the way you are. I have a daughter who is still sorting things out, but me being a person who is resistant to labels, I've encouraged her not to feel obligated to define herself for the benefit of others. She truly sees the person first, not the gender. To her, love is love. How beautiful is that? She is reluctant to label herself as "bi," and I see no reason for her to feel forced into defining herself, although if she is comfortable with a particular label in the future, that's OK by me too. This isn't anything that is particularly difficult for me or my husband, other than any pain our girl may deal with as a result of outside scrutiny. We have always had a very diverse and inclusive set of friends, and it has done nothing but enrich all of our lives.