Introduce yourself and your dog(s) you walk here

Options
Hiya Everyone Im Chellesky (michelle) and have two lovely border terriers I walk most days with.
I currently walk about 2.1 miles per day which is about half the daily recommended amount of steps
Ive over 50lbs+ to lose so will be here for a long time.
I would love to increase my steps as I get fitter and find like minded friends for support

It would be great to share our walking habits(routes and places we love walking) and our dogs antics with each other

Happy Walkies!:heart:

Replies

• FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    hello!!

I'm Emily and I have an 11 month old german shepherd. He's about 80lbs so I'm not sure who walks who, haha! My husband walks him every morning before work and I walk him when I get home - between 30 minutes and an hour, just in our neighborhood. It's his favorite time of the day and I'm happy to make him so happy!
  • chellesky
    Options
    Great to meet you emily, Oscar is 6 years old and Eddy is 5. They are wild hunters and love to walk in the wilderness. LOL
    Ive been trying to post pictures of them but photobucket isnt playing nicely!

Here is the direct link to view my boys
    http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j144/chellesky62/November 2011/20090729_167.jpg
  • Shybea81
    Shybea81 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hello dog walkers-
    It's a pleasure to meet you.
    My name is Sherry, though most call me Shy. I have a 6 year old shiba inu named Shino and a 3 year old mutt named Tank that we adopted from the pound earlier this year. I shamefully admit I do not walk them everyday like I should so I'm hoping by joining this group that will change and I'll get off my butt and walk them in the mornings.
  • chellesky
    Options
    Welcome to the group Shy. I hope we can help you get out more with Shino too.
    I should start a walking challenge thread
    I think I'll start one up for next week for us all.
  • cjack19
    cjack19 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hello!! I am Carolyn and i have 2 chocolate labs (see profile pic) Max is 9 and Maya is 7. We generally walk after dinner for about 30 mins...trying to build that up to longer. Weekends are the best we get them out on at least one if not two good hikes where they can run like nuts off leash! They love it!!!!

last week we found out that Maya has some arthritis (sp?) and some elbow dysplasia (again...sp?) :noway: Trying to keep her as active as possible, she just loves it so much. It doesn't slow her down when we are out there - so that is good, but she gets sore afterwards, which is normal I guess.
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I'm Tiffany. I have 4 dogs (shown in the pic on my ticker below). Bear is 10 years old, Jack and Jasmine are both 9 and Tucker is 3. I have my hands full since I walk all 4 at once but I try to get out every day with them. We usually go out for 30-45 minutes in the summer when it's hot...and it's a slow walk, but now that the weather is chilling off the dogs are working up to longer distances again. 3 of my dogs are trained for bikejoring (they pull me on my bike) and the other hates it so I never bothered with him. I don't do that a whole lot now that my dogs are getting older and the youngest doesn't enjoy it by himself very much. This time of year is what the dogs live for. We run about 3-5 miles in the evenings though they would keep going another 5 or more if I let them. It's my dogs' favorite time of day too...and I feel guilty if I can't walk them one day.

Michelle, you can just upload a pic to your profile and we can go see it...it's easier then photobucket.
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am Shawna and my doggy is Ginger! She is a pug beagle and she loves to go on walks, as all dogs do :bigsmile: We like to walk on the beach and our route is about 3 1/2 miles. I have not been doing my walks for over a week now because of the time change, it's too dark by the time I get home and not safe. It's actually causing me to feel a little depresses :sad: Maybe this group can help motivate me to get out there and walk in the monrings! Nice to meet you all :flowerforyou:
  • chellesky
    Options
    Welcome to the group Carolyn & Tiffany. Your dogs all look lovely and Id like to shake their paws too :smile:

I feel guilty when I dont get my dogs walked too Tiffany. Usually this happens when the weather is so bad and even the dogs dont want to go outside hehehe
    Im appointing you as our chief cheerleader Tiffany as you workout really hard already and can inspire us all to do more. :heart:

So sorry to hear that your Maya has arthritis Carolyn, sending you both some love.
    Like you I love longer walks and picnics with the dogs at the weekends and my hubby usually comes along too.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j144/chellesky62/November 2011/20090729_167.jpg
    just highlight the link and right click your mouse to open in a new tab.

:love: c
  • chellesky
    Options
    Its great to have you with us Shawna, yep changing to walking in the mornings will keep you fitter and safer shawna
    Ive set up our first weekly challenge. Would be great if you can log your progress with us there. :smile:
  • asltiffm
    Options
    Hello!! I am Carolyn and i have 2 chocolate labs (see profile pic) Max is 9 and Maya is 7. We generally walk after dinner for about 30 mins...trying to build that up to longer. Weekends are the best we get them out on at least one if not two good hikes where they can run like nuts off leash! They love it!!!!

last week we found out that Maya has some arthritis (sp?) and some elbow dysplasia (again...sp?) :noway: Trying to keep her as active as possible, she just loves it so much. It doesn't slow her down when we are out there - so that is good, but she gets sore afterwards, which is normal I guess.

One of my dogs, Jasmine, has arthritis as well...and has had knee surgery to replace a torn CCL (equivalent to a human ACL). The vet suggested Dasaquin which is a glucosamine and chondrotin supplement for dogs. I can't tell you how great that's been for her...and Jack has started taking it as well as he gets stiff nowadays without it. Also, the vet said it was important to keep her active but not so active that she is limping afterward. So if Maya's sore afterward, you may need to rein her in a bit...make her hang back with you for periods of time while Max gets to run around. It's hard to hold back your dog when you know how much they enjoy running around but just keep in mind that it really is for her own good.
  • asltiffm
    Options
    Welcome to the group Carolyn & Tiffany. Your dogs all look lovely and Id like to shake their paws too :smile:

I feel guilty when I dont get my dogs walked too Tiffany. Usually this happens when the weather is so bad and even the dogs dont want to go outside hehehe
    Im appointing you as our chief cheerleader Tiffany as you workout really hard already and can inspire us all to do more. :heart:

So sorry to hear that your Maya has arthritis Carolyn, sending you both some love.
    Like you I love longer walks and picnics with the dogs at the weekends and my hubby usually comes along too.

just highlight the link and right click your mouse to open in a new tab.

:love: c

Those are cute little guys, Michelle. :o) That's a really fun picture!

One thing I am passionate about is walking my dogs. My dogs are all rescues (two of which I rescued myself). As a result, they have issues (Jack and Bear have dog aggression, and Jack also has people aggression, and Tucker is scared of everything) and there are days that they behave badly due to their aggression issues, or days that I am in pain and I just hate walking them and never want to do it again. But I do it all over the next day. They weren't designed to be cooped up in a house/yard all day. They need to be active, both physically as well as mentally. It isn't quite enough to give them a house, food and love...they need that exercise as well. I know it sounds like I'm on a soapbox so I'll stop...but that's how I feel and I think this group is a great idea to motivate more people to get out there with their dogs. :o)
  • kaybee42
    kaybee42 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi All, I am Kathryn & I walk my German Shepherd - Jet. Im new to forums so bear with me whilst I get the hang of it!!! Ill find my pedometer tonight so i can check the number of steps I am doing - not many at moment - so plenty of room to improve. I did the London Moonwalk in the Summer & Jet was my training buddy - however since then the walking has died a death - Ive done very little!!! He will be really please I found this group - lol!!! He loved the long walks and I never managed to tire him out - he was always up for more.
  • chellesky
    Options

Those are cute little guys, Michelle. :o) That's a really fun picture!

One thing I am passionate about is walking my dogs. My dogs are all rescues (two of which I rescued myself). As a result, they have issues (Jack and Bear have dog aggression, and Jack also has people aggression, and Tucker is scared of everything) and there are days that they behave badly due to their aggression issues, or days that I am in pain and I just hate walking them and never want to do it again. But I do it all over the next day. They weren't designed to be cooped up in a house/yard all day. They need to be active, both physically as well as mentally. It isn't quite enough to give them a house, food and love...they need that exercise as well. I know it sounds like I'm on a soapbox so I'll stop...but that's how I feel and I think this group is a great idea to motivate more people to get out there with their dogs. :o)

Dogs need people like you Tiffany. I have so much respect for people that take on rescue dogs.
    Dogs are good for our mental health too. You can jump on your soapbox about dogs anytime you wanna gf :smile:
  • chellesky
    Options
    Hi All, I am Kathryn & I walk my German Shepherd - Jet. Im new to forums so bear with me whilst I get the hang of it!!! Ill find my pedometer tonight so i can check the number of steps I am doing - not many at moment - so plenty of room to improve. I did the London Moonwalk in the Summer & Jet was my training buddy - however since then the walking has died a death - Ive done very little!!! He will be really please I found this group - lol!!! He loved the long walks and I never managed to tire him out - he was always up for more.

Its great to have you here with us kathryn. It takes a little time to get used to forums, I know youll be whizzing about all over the community in no time.
    Congrats on doing the london moonwalk. Jet will keep you on your toes again. Try and join in with this weeks challenge.
  • cjack19
    cjack19 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! Thanks for the tips :) We do have her on some "Recovery" product (which contains glucosamaine) and while I know it won't "heal" her, I am hoping it will prevent her from getting worse. Also prevent Max from getting anything like that!

Welcome to everyone! We just got back from a 4km walk on the *kitten* here... felt good to get out and the dogs loved it (of course :tongue: )

i don't have a pedometer... I will do the walking but won't be able to track my steps... but a walking we will go.........:bigsmile:
  • chetrchet
    Options
    Hello, I am the rare guy I guess. That is okay with me. I'm not looking to date or hookup...just want to shed 35-45 lbs. I am 37 and my dog is Cleo. She is an 11 yr old Dalmation. She is starting to get a little hard of hearing and doesn't see as well as she used to. I think this group is the best for both of us, and a great motivation for me to walk the both of us. :D
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    My name is Chris & my dog is B. (okay, its Bianca but we call her B). We just lost our dog Sparky & are building a new relationship, trying to beat the sadness & using walking as our drug of choice. Currently we walk an average of 6 miles a day & hike at least 5 miles a couple times a week. Again! We're both very sad & trying to keep our heads up so walking & socializing is a huge part of our lives now. And yes, I am a wife & mother of 4 so we are avoiding a lot of chores & stuff!
  • vitosbud
    vitosbud Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hey folks :) My name is Cathy and that handsome fellow in my profile pic is Vito. He's a six year old chocolate lab and pretty much the coolest guy alive. He certainly deserves more walk time than he currently gets so I'm pleased to have found the group.

Vito came from the Dog Guides of Canada where he was studying to be a service dog. His final evaluation said, "Vito can perform all tasks, he just doesn't want to". Knowing how smart he is the DGC sent him to the police to become an airport sniffer dog. That's when his fear of stairs was uncovered so back to the Dog Guides he went. Long story longer *hee hee* : He needed a home and I needed a best friend and that's the roundabout story of how 5 years ago I got to adopt this terrific dog.

Looking forward to the challenge starting Monday !!
  • chellesky
    Options
    Welcome to the group Cathy, Chris, Chetrchet and Cjack. Its wonderful that you have joined us. Your dogs all look fabulous too.
    The pedometer isnt essential, but if you do get one you will find it a very motivating tool.
    See you all in the challenge thread on Monday.
    xx C
  • lorrainesimba
    Options
    HI
    I have a black lab called Simba he is 9 years old going a bit grey like his owner !
    He was run over by a car 3 years ago and damaged his back leg, but thanks to a very good vet they saved his leg. He does very well , He has his off days like us all. its great to be in the group and Simba and I are ready for the challange.