Winter fitness in Chicago

Options
Hi fellow Chicagoans (and Illinoisians),

I recently joined MFP for inspiration to lose 15-20 pounds. I am trying to make healthier food choices, but i need to ease back into being more active. What are some ideas for being exercising in the winter in non-conventional ways (aka no gym). I actually like to run outside in the cold, but need to motivate myself to start running again.

Share ideas and happy weekend! :)
Henrie

Replies

• Niveous
    Niveous Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm too much of a wimp to go workout outside over the winter. Kudos to you! :flowerforyou: There are plenty of cheap and easy ways for me to exercise at home though. Workout DVDs (something as simple as the Shred from Walmart for $8), exercise games (Just Dance, etc), or online workouts (http://www.bodyrock.tv/). There are obviously a lot of other ways to get your workout on without a gym, but those are the ones I tend to favor during the winter months. :)
  • obaahenrie
    obaahenrie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow, Niveous, 108 pounds lost. Congrats! Thank for the ideas. I currently do zumba dvds at home. It's fun for now, but I can see myself getting bored soon. I'll check out the shred dvd and the online workouts site. Good luck this winter...and hitting your goal weight!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I downhill ski, cross country ski, snow shoe, sled with the kids, run, hike, ice skate and I think that's about it for now. Always looking for new ideas in the winter time!
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    We get bundled up and walk around Michigan ave with all the tourist. Make a day of it and you'll be surprised how much you end up walking! :)
  • karnold14
    Options
    If at home DVDs are a thing for you check out beachbody products. I use Turbofire which is dance based but there are many other products too. Ever thought about yoga? Also if you have a phone with app capabilities I HIGHLY recommend the Nike Training App, literally the best thing I have ever downloaded and it's free! BEST OF LUCK & STAY WARM!
  • MelAb8709
    MelAb8709 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My dog is my motivation to work out outdoors during the winter months - she LOVES the cold weather and I figure, if I need to bundle up to walk her anyway, I may as well go for a run instead of a walk.

I also have p90x - I use resistance bands instead of weights - and yoga DVDs.

My boyfriend is into biking. To keep it up during the cold months, he bought this thing for his bike. I can't remember what it's called exactly, but you attach it to the back wheel so you can use your bike like a spin bike. We found it at a local bike shop.
  • ajevans2674
    ajevans2674 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person who posted about bodyrock.tv workout website. While I've only done it a few times, it totally kicked my butt! My newest winter find is cross-country skiing. I just learned last year in Stowe, VT, and had a fabulous time because it's the only kind of skiing I can do without my fingers and toes going numb from the cold. As a marathon runner, I know many runners who cross-country ski all winter long to stay in good running condition for the spring season.
  • RemDogzMa
    RemDogzMa Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Well...today a great workout could be SHOVELING!!! :wink:
  • KevinPMajka
    Options
    I run outside as long as the footing is ok. Did 6 miles in the low teens on Saturday. It's nice out if you layer.