Park Run

Options
I wonder how many GB members, especially anyone starting the Couch to 5k programme, are aware of/ using this wonderful resource? For anyone who hasn't come across it yet, on Saturday morning, all over the UK and usually in municipal parks, hence the name, there is a free, timed, marshalled 5k run which is open to anybody of any standard.
I've done the Cardiff one 4 times, run/walking 2 min. intervals - which took me 41 minutes!! - and was cheered on and encouraged all the way round, even though I was last and they had to wait for me! Lots of club/elite runners do it, but so do lots of beginners, very fat people, children, mums/dads with pushchairs, literally anybody.
I live in Italy now so can't do it, but I'll be there on Jan. 7th when I visit, and hoping, thanks to MFP and C25k, to weigh 25lbs. less and to be running all the way round, smashing my time!

Replies

• vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Yes, hoping to do the Eastleigh one in January with a couple of friends - our first 5k!
  • Caerthilian
    Caerthilian Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Great, good for you - we'll be able to compare notes! I just logged it up on here, and on the C25k Group, because no-one ever seems to mention it and it's such a fantastic way of getting into running.
  • casey_when_u_go
    casey_when_u_go Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yep, parkruns are fab :smile:
    They're well organised, friendly, and free - what's not to like?!!
  • melainemelaine
    melainemelaine Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Never thought I will be asking this but do I just google Park runs? I just got into cycling after moving house and maybe with some help I will get into the whole running, too!
  • Caerthilian
    Options
    Never thought I will be asking this but do I just google Park runs? I just got into cycling after moving house and maybe with some help I will get into the whole running, too!

Great, good for you! Yes, just Google Park Run - there's bound to be one near you. Have you discovered the Couch to 5k programme yet? That's helped lots of us to do something we thought we'd never do!
  • melainemelaine
    melainemelaine Posts: 127 Member
    Options

Great, good for you! Yes, just Google Park Run - there's bound to be one near you. Have you discovered the Couch to 5k programme yet? That's helped lots of us to do something we thought we'd never do!

HI!

thanks for your reply, no I haven't, I have a look into that as well, google here I come! it's getting so cold now, I hope I won't have to stop the cycling, but there's still the gym and the yoga classes.

:D
  • Babieseverywhere
    Babieseverywhere Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I found our local Park Run in Bolton but I daren't go until my running improves. My 5K time is 49 minutes and that is far too slow.

Wonder how fast I should be going before I try ? Any ideas ?
  • LazyDavid
    Options
    Well you're never too old to learn!

I'd never heard of Park Runs before and thanks to your post I've now registered and hope to be hitting my local run soon!

Cheers!
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Likewise, I'd never heard of Park Runs either. I'm going to google it now during lunch!
  • Caerthilian
    Options
    I found our local Park Run in Bolton but I daren't go until my running improves. My 5K time is 49 minutes and that is far too slow.

Why don't you go and watch one, and see? When I've done it, there's always been somebody who just walks it, or runs part way and then walks, and nobody minds! The whole point is to get people running who otherwise never would. I think 49 mins. is a really good start. I weighed about what you do now the last time I did it.
  • Babieseverywhere
    Options
    Why don't you go and watch one, and see? When I've done it, there's always been somebody who just walks it, or runs part way and then walks, and nobody minds! The whole point is to get people running who otherwise never would. I think 49 mins. is a really good start. I weighed about what you do now the last time I did it.
    Thanks for the advice, I think we'll go and watch one and find out the speed of the slowest runner, before I have a go :)
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I think we'll go and watch one and find out the speed of the slowest runner, before I have a go :)

I'm a newbie runner, hit and miss with the actually running and need to get into a regular schedule. Like you I want to get my time for 5km down to at least 30mins. Saying that, I've been on duty with St John Ambulance at runs in Leicester and there are some participants who will always walk some or all of the course. So I agree with @Caerthilian go along to one, support those that are participating and see what actually goes on :smile:
  • xxangelaxx
    xxangelaxx Posts: 13 Member
    Options

You can check the results on the website for your local run. It also gives you a good idea of how many people there are running. I was surprised that there were almost 300 people running in the one near me!
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options

There are times on the website for our local one I don't think that's too much slower than sow of the runners and remember you usually run slightly faster in races
  • Babieseverywhere
    Options
    Looked up the results, local slowest runner a retired male in his 80's who does it in 43 minutes, i.e. 6 minutes faster than me, LOL. Oh, well. I'm likely to be the slowest but at least I'll have room for improvement.