Diabetes as an excuse???

Options
Am I the only one who has used there diabetes as an excuse NOT to loose weight istead of an excuse TO loose weight? I don't excersize. Why...because my blood sugar could go low if I do. :ohwell:
I eat whatever I feal like eating... I have a pump and my A1c numbers are ok (well until this year when they have gradually creeped from 6.8 to 7.8%).
I don't get me wrong ...I have plenty of other excuses. I have a full time job, 2 kids, and a strong distaste for anything good for me.
My goal right now is to get past all these excuses. I started using MFP on tuesday (3 days ago), so I really can't tell you if I will succeed or not. I was just wondering if anyone else used there diabetes as an excuse like I did.
And just a little something funny... I told my mom I started using MFP and was going on a diet. First she asked me did they know I was diabtetic (um mom it is a computer program, not a real person) and then she told me not to forget I am a diabetic (No chance of that happening anytime soon).

Replies

• Dippydog
    Dippydog Posts: 154
    Options
    I have not used my T1 as an excuse. I try not to because I don't want it to bite me in the butt down the road.

Good Luck with your journey.
  • wannabthin65
    wannabthin65 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I try not to use it as an excuse. Different doctors have told me I most likely wouldn't lose weight because insulin makes it much harder...Well I am determined to prove them wrong! I have lost a total of 19lbs so far.(granted its been since March 2011 BUT its lbs lost!! I used to worry about lows from doing exercise BUT I'm considered brittle and drop anyway so I joined a gym a couple of months ago. My insulin dose has been decreased and thats a good thing II'm not on a pump-I take 4 injections a day.
    So I could have a couple of excuses for not doing things (I have more not mentioned) but excuses just lead to complacentcy and failure with no one to blame but myself.
    My motto is "no excuses--be a fighter!!" I hope I don't sound harsh...I'm just being honest about how I look at it.
  • wilkerson
    Options
    it is easy to use it as an excuse but if you do the disease takes controll of you instead of you controlling it. You have to start some where and hopefully its here. I work a full time job, and 2 part time jobs, im a mother and a wife, life can be exhausting enough as is but I let my diabeties make me stronger not weaker. I have been T1 for 26 years, ive done 4-5 shots a day and ive had a pump for 10 years and ive learned you have to do whats best for you, NO Excuses. You will do fine, keep your head up and look forward.
  • lizzielou67
    Options
    it is easy to use it as an excuse but if you do the disease takes controll of you instead of you controlling it. You have to start some where and hopefully its here. And ive learned you have to do whats best for you, NO Excuses. You will do fine, keep your head up and look forward.

+1 on that statement!! Don't ever use it as an excuse. I use my diabetes (Type 1 for 38 years now) as an excuse TO get healthy. If I don't, I might die sooner. I have too many things I want to do yet and a great hubby that I want to spend lots more time with.

Is it harder to lose weight because we take insulin? Of course! It's a fat storing hormone. But, it is not impossible. I've already discovered, since January, that I need to take a lot less (using a pump) becuase I'm eating better and exercising. That's less fat to be stored and less money spent on my perscriptions! I like that idea.

I hope MFP help you get on track and get healthier. That's what's most important, being healthy. That will lend itself to better diabetes control and to weight loss if that's your goal.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I don't use it as an excuse to not exercise, but I do use it as an excuse when the scale doesn't budge.

Extra insulin can cause weight gains. So, when I exercise and my sugar goes low or when I eat right and my blood sugars are lower, I know that I could be causing myself to lose less weight.

However, it's more important to me to have good control and good A1c numbers than to lose weight.

I also use it as an excuse at office parties, etc. When people ask why I'm not eating the cake, chips, etc. I remind them that I'm a diabetic and have to count my carbohydrates.
  • KristaTellier
    KristaTellier Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I use my diabetes (Type 1 for 38 years now) as an excuse TO get healthy. If I don't, I might die sooner.

^^^ Exactly this :)
  • dsharpie
    dsharpie Posts: 55
    Options
    I do not use it as an excuse either. I don't want it to have power over me. I have been type 1 for 8 years and on the pump for 7. Just got a CGM, not sure i like it yet but certainly is interesting to watch. I am a wife and mother of 4, I work full time, am always doing/making things for people, and now am training for a marathon. Something I have always wanted to do, and after letting my disease scare me from it for several years I finally decided enough was enough I am doing it anyway. I am a very brittle type1 and my blood sugar falls fast when I am hot and I am exercising. Just be prepared for it.

You can do anything you set your mind to, it just takes determination and belief in yourself.
  • Lauramcelroy
    Options
    Never have used it as an excuse in 30 years, but it has caused me a lot of frustration and even depression at times. I understand worrying about lows. When I go to the gym I have so much "baggage" with the tester, pump, sugar (for the low I have EVERY time - I am "brittle" always have been) and my water! My doctors have been zero help and they GIVE ME the excuse, it's the insulin! What?! I am determined to not let the insulin win. My problem is that I have been under eating, just truly discovered this in the last 6 days since I started MFP! I have done food diaries in the past and could plainly see I wasn't eating enough, but really didn't change what I was doing. My body wants to maintain whatever weight I might be at any given time. Oddly, after the birth of each of my 3 children, one who was in my 20s the other two in my 30s I dropped all the baby weight and more on my last. The weight started coming on after we moved across country, gained 7lbs, then we moved again, never lost the first 7lbs and gain another, and finally this last move stacked-up! But that's the only time I have successfully lost weight. It's too soon to tell if MFP is helping, but I know it's about balance. I'd also like to say that less insulin does not help me lose weight, neither does less food. I'm hoping that I have found the "missing link" with eating the proper amount of calories.

Best of luck, don't give up! :flowerforyou: