what has been working for you

Options
koylefam
koylefam Posts: 142 Member
So since we are all busy mom's what are some things that have worked well for you in your weightloss journey... as far as exercises... food... meals.. juggling it all??????????????/
I have found If I get up before my kids to exercise even though it's early (5am) my day is better and I am more patient
I also plans my meals for 2 weeks... while I may switch my days around I try to stick to my menu.....
And I use Saturday as my prep day....
There is a co op called bountiful baskets (bountifulbaskets.org) where you pay $15 and get half fruit half veggie (around 30lbs altogether) I order this every 2 weeks and divide it out into snack bags for me and my kids.....
The things I struggle with most is not eating my emotions (sadness and stress) but those only hit me hard if I don't have those exercise endorphins............ Now it's your turn...... what works for you

Replies

• MommyMiles
    MommyMiles Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    When I lost all my weight last year, I was SO motivated. I started a group with a few of my friends. I ate my version of a diet based on the Zone. I worked out mostly before the boys woke up, or at night after bedtime.

I have to be at work at 7am this year. I also have about an hour commute to get there. So, I am already up before 5 just to get ready. So, waking up before that and working out, it just too much. Since I have been doing the Shred this week, I can get it done during bath time for the boys. Or I have done it after they are in bed.

I LOVE bacon. If I can crunch up one piece and add it to a salad, it makes a WORLD of difference to the salad. I JUST found out this weekend you can cook bacon in the oven. So, apparently you can cook bacon on the weekend keep if all week long and use it as you go. I will be doing this. I also eat the same thing all week long for breakfast and lunch. That way I don't have to think about it. I either make hard-boiled eggs or egg bakes (way yummier but, take more time and prep) on Sunday for the work week.

Unfortunately, I am TERRIBLE at prepping dinners for the week. :/ I end up eating quick meals most nights. My husband is not home at night so the boys and I tend to just eat whatever is easy (which used to be frozen, take out, or delievered.... IE the extra 30 LBS). My goal is to start cooking 3-4 times a week, quick easy recipes in the crock pot, tosse in the oven etc. I do not have the time or patience to stand over the stove for an hour making dinner each night. I try and make LARGE recipes that I can eat leftovers of.

I am a SERIOUS emotional eater. If I get stressed or bummed out I eat like crazy. I am trying to NOT go this route. When I am stressed I take time out. I over extend myself OFTEN. I am starting to realize this week, part of my weight gain is me placating my stressed out life. I need to figure out what I can cut out of my life to be able to have more time to focus on me and my family.

Koylefam-- I would love to do a recipe swap. I will start a thread soon. Things I can prep over the weekend seems right up my alley!!
  • koylefam
    koylefam Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    you and I sound soo much alike.... LIFE IS CRAZY>>>>>>>> I would love a recipe swap.. I m a HUGE crock pot girl..
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot of motivation to exercise, so I watch my carbs and try to do at home workout videos. I wish I had a treadmill or gym membership though! I'd only be able to go to the gym on Saturdays and Sundays due to no sitter, so I can't justify the cost. My daughter will work out with me at night while I'm doing it. I am not a morning person, so I'm not able to get up earlier and exercise. I try to keep moving when I'm at home; I'm constantly cleaning something or getting something for my daughter. Then there's the endless laundry.. I come home for lunch so I usually think about what I'll have at work then come home and make it quick. I really love being able to eat at home!
  • mamamia05
    mamamia05 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    So far, for me counting cals of course and making healthy food choices as much as possible is working yet it's been a longgg journey. :-) Making sure I drink my water is also key for me..I cannot excercise anymore till I have back surgery so although that can be depressing I just try to do my best in the other areas I mentioned and focus on how far I have come..my kids generally eat well but, yes they do like their snacks :-) Also, with so many of them and their diff schedules they all tend to eat at different times etc so it get's challenging but we make it all work some how..I do plan meals to some extent and cannot live without my crockpot! lol I find if I grocery shop and have a well stocked kitchen were good, it's when were out and about is when things get challenging! My hope is to teach my children all about a healthy lifestyle so they can avoid the same struggle as I and especially avoid diabetes.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    something I think that has really helped me this time around is having a heart rate monitor that I wear when i work out. It estimates your calories burned according to your heart rate and it really puts into perspective HOW MUCH you have to work to get the calories off...It makes me think before I eat something.