Drag kings, queens, and royalty all!

Options
thedreamhazer
thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
I am a non-performing drag king (which basically means I occasionally cross, but with a persona). Something I've always had difficulty with, though, is passing. When I was larger, I could never bind effectively (even with my double compression vests). Same type of issues now, though. I always have to drag heavy, which I'll admit, hurts my pride a little. Anybody else find their weight effects their drag?

Replies

• ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    My first true entry to the LGBT+ community was through a woman I worked with who dragged 15 year old me to her drag shows where she was AMAZING. She totally altered every misconception I had about everything. *sigh* I miss her.

I have nothing to add but to BUMP this up.
  • DDaun
    DDaun Posts: 15
    Options
    I am a non-performing drag king (which basically means I occasionally cross, but with a persona). Something I've always had difficulty with, though, is passing. When I was larger, I could never bind effectively (even with my double compression vests). Same type of issues now, though. I always have to drag heavy, which I'll admit, hurts my pride a little. Anybody else find their weight effects their drag?

ah...the pervibial quandry....suggestion?....Dont "bind" so much...I mean...when you are "bigger" ..binding too tight can almost make everything worse! I found a simple stretch material, measured so it was tight...ran a stich down the back side and that is all I do. I used to (yrs ago) worry about chest pieces, taping and all that good stuff...found that not only did it physically hurt but seemed to make me appear heavier! Certainly NOT what I needed!!
  • sangostar
    sangostar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    When I get in drag, or another term is 'crossplay' because I do alot of anime character's costumes which are male I have to bind. I was a big girl when I started doing it, and still feel big when I get into a costume/character. It hurts my pride because there really are no skinny anime characters. And even if I was to just dress in a male persona I would feel big.

Binding: Since the only compression shirt I bought was the wrong size and couldn't return it I use ace bandages. I only wear them once in a while so I don't worry about any health concerns with them. I have the bandages down to a science when I'm with a certain friend and she binds me down. We get them done right the first time I can wear them all day long and mostly look like I have just large pecs.
  • shutterbug4674
    shutterbug4674 Posts: 3,690 Member
    Options
    FINALLY...MY PEOPLE!!! LOL :laugh:

Allow me to properly introduce myself, I am Miss Jacqueline Frost, but to my friends, Frosty.
    I am the current and forever Miss Amatuer Menjo's (Bar was sold) and Miss Horror Drag 2010-2012 (no one entered this year).
    I am first runner-up Miss Amatuer Gigis 2011-2012 and first runner-up Miss MIC 2012. I am also the current President of The Performers Awards of Detroit. :drinker:

I want to have more energy on stage. I am tired, literally, of dragging (pardon the pun) my fat butt around the stage.
  • pope369
    pope369 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I know it's off-topic, but I had to post this pic of me in drag. :-)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/28971_1138751804561_1700398284_259932_1639941_n.jpg
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    wow stunning!
  • JackKsavestheday
    JackKsavestheday Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    since I've been losing weight i've been passing more! but i'm still very big.
  • shutterbug4674
    Options

Loved the 80's!
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    this is something that i've always wanted to do.

in high school and college i was backstage at a lot of drag shows; i was a theatre major and my makeup was flawless so all my friends wanted me to do their makeup. many an hour waxing over eyebrows and painting some truly fabulous faces.

but i've never dragged. i probably COULD pass - while i have a femme face, i do have a large frame and i joke all the time about my "line backer shoulders". and i would love to give it a go. but where i live now and all those blah, blah reasons, i've never given it a go.

so my question in here is this: where do you find the space to do it? where do you find that first step to safely drag?
  • shutterbug4674
    Options
    this is something that i've always wanted to do.

in high school and college i was backstage at a lot of drag shows; i was a theatre major and my makeup was flawless so all my friends wanted me to do their makeup. many an hour waxing over eyebrows and painting some truly fabulous faces.

but i've never dragged. i probably COULD pass - while i have a femme face, i do have a large frame and i joke all the time about my "line backer shoulders". and i would love to give it a go. but where i live now and all those blah, blah reasons, i've never given it a go.

so my question in here is this: where do you find the space to do it? where do you find that first step to safely drag?

It helps if you know someone who's already doing drag. I started by doing an amatuer night contest at the bar.
    Don't worry about having a large frame. ANYTHING is possible in drag and work it to your advantage.
  • TweedleDebo
    TweedleDebo Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I haven't performed in a while, but when I did I would sometimes perform intentionally as heavier artists like Notorious BIG. I did this one song "Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)" by Mika and it was somewhat of an ode to my female self. I had my other heavy friend girls get up on stage and dance with me and I serenaded them to let them all know that sure the 6 pack chicks were hot, but they were beautiful, too.

The best thing that you can do performing while you are still in a heavier frame is like someone else said OWN IT! Stay confident and show your audience that you know that you look good & are good at what you do and they will feel the same way. Remember that confident does not mean cocky, though.

As far as binding goes....it is more difficult as a big girl to bind. Especially if you are a big girl with bigger tatas. Everyone is different, but I had more luck if I would tape down and to the side instead of just taping round & round. That way you also can pull off an unbuttoned or lowcut shirt if you want without anyone seeing your tape. I could never use binders because of my size. They always made me look like I had an inner tube under my clothes.

Good luck & no matter what HAVE FUN!

The former "Connor Lowe" :huh:

15966046.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    wondering if y'all have any favorite names? Miss Understanding comes to mind...
  • shutterbug4674
    Options
    wondering if y'all have any favorite names? Miss Understanding comes to mind...

I have worked with Ida Slappeder, Anita D**k and Iona Traler
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Hmm...I don't think I cross dress TOO extreme...I mean, I've never worn a skirt before, ever, and I wear loose skinny jeans, a band shirt/plaid, a dark hoodie, and skate shoes/Converse, but I've never attempted binding. I'm fairly big so my face is a lot chubbier than I would like it to be (I wear eyeliner but rarely other make-up), and my irritating D's don't really look good when I wear plaid unbuttoned with a shirt underneath. I've never plucked my eyebrows either lol. I want to slim down so I look smashing in a tux~ Idk if I'd ever perform in an actual show though haha XD