Interracial Relationships

Options

Replies

• VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I still find it hard to believe that in this day and age there is still a stigma about interracial relationships.

I can't believe it's still a topic considered worthy of discussion, let alone debate. People are people. Period.

Agreed.
  • Ellem86
    Ellem86 Posts: 204
    Options
    My boyfriend is white and I am so happy that in the 4 years we have been together I can probably count on one hand the amount of times we have got funny looks for holding hands. I definitely think it's because we live in London (UK) and it's generally a more tolerant place.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I do not see a color, I see a person.....

Then again, I am a Faerie, so that opens up a whole other Pandora's Box......
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add... I grew up in a very rural community with mostly whites and most were totally ignorant. My best friend since we were babies was mixed race (white, black, indian) but she looked mostly black. She was one of the only black people in the area. Yet I never, ever saw her as any different then me, so it was really odd to me when we grew up and moved away, she said she'd never go back to that place since she'd be lynched. I was kind of shocked. I didn't realize people treated her different than I did. But I guess they did. :( It's sad. I'll never go back to that place either...for more reasons than one.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    My husband is Caucasian and I am Hispanic. I've never had any issues with people staring, pointing, making hushed comments.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the responses (I'll probably go back and read most of them) but my husband is Puerto Rican and looks black and we definitely get a lot of looks and head shakes. Also sometimes when we go to restraunts the server will direct all questions toward me without really looking at my husband. It infuriates me! Sometimes I really contemplate making a scene about it, or at least making a comment but often it's easier just to ignore it. Like VeganGal said we're not moving because of it, but it definitely makes me more excited about moving back to CA where no one gives us a second look....

Oh I also get some hating from Puerto Rican girls who are upset because that hot Rican is with a white chick. This more cracks me up than anything....his uncle even told him it would never last because I'm white
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    My husband is Caucasian and I am Hispanic. I've never had any issues with people staring, pointing, making hushed comments.

you're hispanic?! lol....I didn't even realize until you just said that hahahaha
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options

you're hispanic?! lol....I didn't even realize until you just said that hahahaha

Yeah dork! LOL What did you think I was?! lol My great grandparents were French and Spanish blondes with blue eyes, my grandmother was light brown with green eyes, mother fair skinned with light brown hair.
  • I_give_it_2_u_str8
    I_give_it_2_u_str8 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I will probably get flamed for this but:

Is it just me or is there a disproportionately large amount of black men with large white females?

I say this in comparison to white men with large black females- which I hardly ever see.

Maybe this is just my observation, and tell me if I'm way out to lunch here but.... What's that all about?

/end troll
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    It takes time for society to accept change. Interracial marriage has only been legal in all states for about 45 years. That means a lot of adults remember when it was illegal or had parents who grew up with ingrained prejudices. I think gay marriage will be much the same way. It's gradually becoming legal, much to the dismay of many. Someday (hopefully in the near future) it will be legal but a lot of people will be around who still hold the prejudices or were raised by parents who taught them it was wrong. Someday in the next 40 years when gay marriage isn't thought of any differently than interracial or interfaith marriage there will still be a few people left who hold tight to their prejudices until eventually that all subsides the way stigma over interfaith marriage has.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I have no issue with interracial relationships. I think its the generation....In California, who cares who you date. It is so common than it ever has been. I am so open to dating outside of my race. I see people not what they identify themselves to be....and plus I have a large family on both sides of my family who married outside of race. Also, it doesnt bother me as my grandmother who was half black and Irish...So I have tons of white people on my moms side and love them like no other! :)

I must add......It is beyond dating...It's just best that people get along with people and accept people for who they are....Stop fighting against one another is what I always wish for :)
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    There is quite a bit of Black VS Mexican rioting happening in the high schools where I grew up. Sad really. And it is not just the students but the parents as well.
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Non-issue for me. Other people that I see in interracial relationships - I don't care, none of my business even if I did. I have been attracted to multiple races at one time or another. Had the opportunity presented itself - I am not sure how I would have handled it due to the surrounding ignorance when I was younger.

Both of my girls have dated outside of our 'race' - I am more concerned with how they treat my girls than the color of their skin.

Frankly, if those little green b@#$@#%s hurt my babies I will go after them with a bazooka and you better believe there will be a cement block and a chain in my trunk. :smokin:
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Well I say if two people love each other then go for it. .. There should never be an issue of race. . That is crap! Some people just are rude and pigheaded about things! Sorry for anyone who has had to endure this type of discrimination!
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I'm in an interracial relationship with a man who is also in a wheelchair, so I feel like a lot of people disapprove of our relationship. That also could be because we're both sexy beasts and they believe that we are hoarding sexiness. Either way, it's our business, not theirs.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    Options

I must add......It is beyond dating...It's just best that people get along with people and accept people for who they are....Stop fighting against one another is what I always wish for :)

^^ beautifully said!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    After I graduate from college, we are moving to NYC where I doubt our hand-holding will get any double-takes on the street.

Unfortunately, you probably will. Maybe fewer of them, but you'll get them.

Yes, biggots and ignorant people are everywhere, but they at least seem to be ashamed of themselves up North. Down here it's the norm.

No, they're not. I grew up in New York. We had a very active and proud KKK culture there. Not everyone, of course. But it was there and it was no hidden by those involved. People have this idea that the South is racist and the North is so accepting. I've lived many years in both regions and the North isn't as different from the South as people would like to believe.

I'm going to disagree with this. I grew up in a small town in Tennessee, and I moved to New York, then Boston, then Miami when I was 24. Racism is not only rampant but embraced in many parts of the south, especially the rural south. There was one black family in the entire county next to ours, which also happened to host several KKK functions and served as the "headquarters" of their operation in the south. As of 2007, they were still lynching people there. I never met a single hispanic person and only one asian until I moved away from home. We had a handful of black families at our school, but no one ever "mixed" (please do not take that to mean I approve of this behavior or embrace it). Bigger cities like Nashville, Atlanta, and other places with a larger concentrated population are not nearly as bad but there are still areas within the cities that are very segregated still. Don't make the mistake of assuming that racism is dead in the South. It's very much alive and is quite scary.

My family told me they would disown me for dating someone black for years and tried to justify it by saying, "well, the kids you have won't know their place." My grandparents still feel this way, unfortunately. Living in New York and being surrounded by multi-cultural influences was wonderful to me. Moving to Miami was even better. My parents have learned to come around to non-whites, but still do not support interracial marriage.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    Options
    After I graduate from college, we are moving to NYC where I doubt our hand-holding will get any double-takes on the street.

Unfortunately, you probably will. Maybe fewer of them, but you'll get them.

Yes, biggots and ignorant people are everywhere, but they at least seem to be ashamed of themselves up North. Down here it's the norm.

No, they're not. I grew up in New York. We had a very active and proud KKK culture there. Not everyone, of course. But it was there and it was no hidden by those involved. People have this idea that the South is racist and the North is so accepting. I've lived many years in both regions and the North isn't as different from the South as people would like to believe.

I'm going to disagree with this. I grew up in a small town in Tennessee, and I moved to New York, then Boston, then Miami when I was 24. Racism is not only rampant but embraced in many parts of the south, especially the rural south. There was one black family in the entire county next to ours, which also happened to host several KKK functions and served as the "headquarters" of their operation in the south. As of 2007, they were still lynching people there. I never met a single hispanic person and only one asian until I moved away from home. We had a handful of black families at our school, but no one ever "mixed" (please do not take that to mean I approve of this behavior or embrace it). Bigger cities like Nashville, Atlanta, and other places with a larger concentrated population are not nearly as bad but there are still areas within the cities that are very segregated still. Don't make the mistake of assuming that racism is dead in the South. It's very much alive and is quite scary.

My family told me they would disown me for dating someone black for years and tried to justify it by saying, "well, the kids you have won't know their place." My grandparents still feel this way, unfortunately. Living in New York and being surrounded by multi-cultural influences was wonderful to me. Moving to Miami was even better. My parents have learned to come around to non-whites, but still do not support interracial marriage.

my grandparents don't like my fiance because he's disabled. Well, they also don't like Hispanic people, so that might play into it too. it's really pathetic, because they never met him and they already disapprove of him. And that's why I didn't want them to meet him. I love him too much and I don't want them to hurt him by saying something ignorant.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    There are definitely many people out there who pass judgment when they see interracial relationships. I'm Asian/Latina & whenever we visit my in-laws (black) in East Texas, to this day my husband & I get blatant stares when we're out in public together. I can't say it bothers me, but I do notice it. We live in Minneapolis & here it's so commonplace I doubt we get stared at for that reason...I think it's more because of the fact that my husband's 15 years older than me & looks like my sugar daddy, lol.

My family was never judgmental because of race, all they cared about was that he was good to me & was a good father to his children. His family may have had their opinions initially, but they never expressed anything negative to us & after 15 years I think they're probably convinced it's working out ok. :wink:

Our kids don't seem to encounter any overt prejudice at school or anything, I'd guess that the majority of the minority students in their schools are mixed-race.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    My folks were an interracial marriage, dad was from Cuba. But he could.. well I guess you could call it "passing". He was light skinned and spoke English well. Going off stereotypical notions you'd think he was caucasian.

I've said it before and won't get into it at length, but race is a completely meaningless concept. All humanity came from Africa. Differences in skin color (melanin content), hair, nose shape.. these are all just adaptations to different climates people lived in. It's an absolutely ridiculous thing to differentiate ourselves by since we are exactly the same.