Surviving Thanksgiving 2011

Options
For those of you in the US, how to you plan to survive Thanksgiving and not be “set back”? I would love any suggestions/tips!

I am having Thanksgiving at my house. This will allow me to know what’s being cooked and served. While my family will bring items, I will insist that they take the items home with them. I will also cook closer to the number of people coming and not go overboard.

We will have dessert as we are also celebrating my oldest son’s birthday. However, as he doesn’t like cake, we are doing an ice cream cake/cupcakes. I will make some that will go nicely with the pies so that I won’t have a lot of extras of the dessert at the house either.

Replies

• APO_Katie
    APO_Katie Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I eat everything, at least everything that I like, but in smaller portions. This really helps with cravings and allows me to have a "treat" at the end of the day as well!
  • MelDarni
    Options
    For food, I think I'm going to try to load up on the vegetables, so that there's less room for stuffing and mashed potatoes. Desserts don't usually tempt me too much - I'll have one piece of pie and that will probably set me for the whole weekend.

My problem is going to be alcohol. There's always wine and baileys for the coffee. I usually probably polish off an entire bottle of wine myself on Thanksgiving day since I'm cooking all day and celebrating with the family. Honestly, I'm not sure how much of that I'm going to be willing to cut out... (terrible, right?)

The solution? Make sure I get my butt out the door every day of the weekend for some exercise. I usually only work out at work, since that's where my gym is, but I'm going to have a 5-day weekend away from the gym! Scary!
  • CeeEssGee
    CeeEssGee Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    We are going to my mother-in-law's.

I'm going to take a football and a soccer ball, and I plan on playing outside with the kids to help offset the calories. I also plan to take a veggie tray and will try to eat very small portions of the "good stuff"