WHAT WORKS & WHAT DOESN'T WORK?

Options
camy_chick
camy_chick Posts: 277 Member
in this discussion, i want everyone to post about WHAT HAS WORKED and WHAT HASN'T WORKED/DOESN'T WORK for your weight loss.

DOESN'T WORK::::: like for me, i know many people will tell you to eat back your exercise calories, and i find that if i do that on a regular basis, i don't lose weight.

WORKS:::::: for me what has worked is doing A LOT of cleaning. i can't always get out for a walk/run. so i find things to do around the house. do some kind of "spring" cleaning around the house as often as i can. it may not raise my heart rate much, but it sure burns calories! specially after doing it for more then 1 hour!

so what works or doesn't work for you?

Replies

• LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Doesn't work: going to the gym at night. There are to many people there and it makes me nervous.Also very self conscious.

Works: Finding fun ways to exercise. It can get boring always doing the treadmill so recently I started playing just dance
  • SuzMac1981
    SuzMac1981 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Doesn't work: eating back my exercise calories.

Works: Eating up to my net cals. Cutting out white flour and switching to whole grains, cutting out soda, cutting out juice, cutting out the extra cups of milk I used to drink at night - drinking ONLY WATER with an occasional 8oz of skim milk. Adding in veggies and protein to each meal. Exercising for 30-60 minutes at least 5 days per week. Indulging once every other week on that craving that may pop up.
  • herstrawberri
    herstrawberri Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have found eating back my cals doesn't work for me either. Also, carbs. My body just doesn't react well to them.

What works for me is calorie counting and carb counting. And walking with weights. Drinking a TON of water. And just believing that I WILL get to my goal weight. I didn't gain all this weight overnight, and I certinally won't lose it over night. Also holding myself accountable for everything I put into my mouth. If I eat something with sugar, I make sure it counts. I don't beat myself up anymore either. If I have a bad food day, I pick right back up where I left off. i also allow myself a day where I eat basically whatever I want. NOW, this isn't for everyone as something that can lead to binges.....but I have found a good balance. I know I can have a free day and not go overboard. =)
  • jsv454
    jsv454 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    About a month ago, I cut out all grains, sugar, and processed food, and have lost 24 pounds, have tons of energy, and feel great! I am following the Primal lifestyle, which means I eat lots of protein, good fats, veggies, and some fruit and dairy. For me what makes the plan work is that it uses an 80/20 principle: follow the plan 80% of the time, and then have sensible indulgences in that 20%. That's enough "wiggle room" for me to stick eating the good stuff the rest of the time.

If you are interested in learning more about the Primal lifestyle, www.marksdailyapple.com has tons of info.

I know I have a long way to go, but this is the first time I actually feel like I am going to make it, and stay there. I am hardly ever hungry, have tons of energy, and enjoy my meals. I can even eat (nitrate-free) bacon! What a change from all the other "diets" I have tried!
  • herstrawberri
    Options
    About a month ago, I cut out all grains, sugar, and processed food, and have lost 24 pounds, have tons of energy, and feel great! I am following the Primal lifestyle, which means I eat lots of protein, good fats, veggies, and some fruit and dairy. For me what makes the plan work is that it uses an 80/20 principle: follow the plan 80% of the time, and then have sensible indulgences in that 20%. That's enough "wiggle room" for me to stick eating the good stuff the rest of the time.

If you are interested in learning more about the Primal lifestyle, www.marksdailyapple.com has tons of info.

I know I have a long way to go, but this is the first time I actually feel like I am going to make it, and stay there. I am hardly ever hungry, have tons of energy, and enjoy my meals. I can even eat (nitrate-free) bacon! What a change from all the other "diets" I have tried!

Sounds interesting. I just might take a look at that website. Do you track your cals?
  • jsv454
    Options

Sounds interesting. I just might take a look at that website. Do you track your cals?

Yes, it's really working well for me! I realize it's not for everyone, but definitely worth taking a look if you are curious.

While the Primal lifestyle doesn't advocate tracking cals, I do find it's helpful for me since I am so new to this way of eating. Specifically, I want to make sure I am getting the correct balance of carbs/fat/protein for optimum weight loss. Right now, I am trying to get 50% of calories from good fats, 30% from protein, and 20% from carbs (naturally occurring in veggies, not from grain). Once I get a better handle on things, I might not track so religiously, but for now it's a good tool for me.

Also, my appetite has reduced so dramatically, that many days, I find it difficult to eat more than 900 calories, which I would never have believed before experiencing it for myself. I don't feel in any way deprived-- I have energy, my brain is sharp, and I feel fantastic. I don't want to be one of those "crazy" people who thinks everyone in the world should eat like them, but this lifestyle has changed my life in an incredibly positive way.
  • herstrawberri
    Options

Yes, it's really working well for me! I realize it's not for everyone, but definitely worth taking a look if you are curious.

While the Primal lifestyle doesn't advocate tracking cals, I do find it's helpful for me since I am so new to this way of eating. Specifically, I want to make sure I am getting the correct balance of carbs/fat/protein for optimum weight loss. Right now, I am trying to get 50% of calories from good fats, 30% from protein, and 20% from carbs (naturally occurring in veggies, not from grain). Once I get a better handle on things, I might not track so religiously, but for now it's a good tool for me.

Also, my appetite has reduced so dramatically, that many days, I find it difficult to eat more than 900 calories, which I would never have believed before experiencing it for myself. I don't feel in any way deprived-- I have energy, my brain is sharp, and I feel fantastic. I don't want to be one of those "crazy" people who thinks everyone in the world should eat like them, but this lifestyle has changed my life in an incredibly positive way.

Thank you so much! I'm def going to check it out. =)
  • jsv454
    Options
    Of course! Looking at what you posted earlier in the thread, it looks like you are already following a fairly Primal diet, so it would probably be an easier switch for you than many. There are several Primal/Paleo support groups here on MFP with lots of people who know more than I do, and also the forums at Mark's Daily Apple are very helpful!
  • sweethinkr
    Options
    What doesn't work for me: Gimmicks and trying to tell myself this is what you cannot eat. I allow myself to eat the foods I want, as long as I am within my calories for the day. Whatever I try to tell myself I can't eat, is always what throws me off the wagon and into a tailspin.

What works: Small steps and consistency. I eat a lot of the same foods with some variation, but I find that if I can count on x, y and z that I know I like and can eat, it is easier to stay on course. However, I do also change it up once in a while too so I don't get bored. Exercise also keeps me on the straight and narrow. When I'm working out I am more conscious of my decisions throughout each day with my calories. When I stop working out I don't feel as good and it's easier for moments of stress to throw me completely off course.
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    What doesn't work for me: Letting myself get too hungry. I always eat too fast and then get sick.

What does work: Weighing on a daily basis. I know you aren't suppose to, but it keeps me accountable.
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Doesn't work: eating back exercise calories, denying myself, coming home before the gym

Works: drinking lots of water, running (seems to trigger bigger loses for me), fitting in 'treats' here and there like a square of dark chocolate, seeing my trainer once a week, weighing in each day.
  • SuzMac1981
    SuzMac1981 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    What doesn't work for me: Letting myself get too hungry. I always eat too fast and then get sick.

What does work: Weighing on a daily basis. I know you aren't suppose to, but it keeps me accountable.

I weigh on a daily basis - twice a day, in fact. It holds me accountable and I like to know what my body is doing and how it's responding to what I've put in it. It is NOT for everyone and a lot of people can get frustrated or discouraged but I have a scientific mentality so it works for me.
  • herstrawberri
    Options

I weigh on a daily basis - twice a day, in fact. It holds me accountable and I like to know what my body is doing and how it's responding to what I've put in it. It is NOT for everyone and a lot of people can get frustrated or discouraged but I have a scientific mentality so it works for me.

I weigh myself every day as well. I use it to hold myself accountable as well. At first it messed with my head, but then i got use to the daily flucuations.
  • melmccabe
    melmccabe Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What doesn't work: eating anything processed or consuming any alcohol

What does work: sticking to a natural foods diet, strength training 3 times a week and doing 90 minutes of cardio 6 days a week, and working with a trainer.
  • mamasyd
    mamasyd Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The thing that works best for me is to vary my caloric intake through the week to keep my metabolism guessing. While I average whatever my net calorie goal should be (currently 1280 per day), I have lows and highs to vary things by at least 100-200. I try to have one or two days in the 1400-1600 range, a couple that are around 1300, a couple around 1100ish and maybe one that hovers near 1000. Of course, a busy lifestyle can make that a challenge. It's so worth the effort, though. I do try to have my higher calorie days be on the days I exercise more so that my body is getting what it needs to perform well.

As far as what doesn't work, I think for me that would have to be diet foods. I've found that I really don't use any 'substitute' foods that are less calorie - e.g., sugar free candy or cookies. This is NOT a diet for me, but a new way of living. I have found that eating things that are healthy for me has altered my taste buds greatly. Now I look at a fuji apple as a wonderful treat, or maybe some sugar snap peas as a great 'munchie' idea.
  • BrandyRelaxing
    BrandyRelaxing Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    What works for me:
    -Varying my calories so there is no day that I have "blown my diet"
    -Being able to eat whatever I want, although, sometimes I have to modify my quanity but I'm okay with that
    -Working out 3-4 days a week - fits in my busy life really easily, so it's not a chore

What doesn't work for me:
    -Having to cut out specific foods - i.e. South Beach didn't work for me long term
    -Having to exercise every day
    -really any lifestyle which has a "HAVE TO" or "MUST" or "CAN NOT" approach. If I can't do something, this is not something that will last for me long term.

I'm consistently inconsistent, and varying my calories and eating what I want (just making it a reasonable size), and exercising 3-4 days is what has been my recipe for success!
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    What works for me:
    *Making exercise part of my daily routine. My car takes me to the gym on autopilot now, so I don't really have any choice but to go in :P
    *Drinking my water
    *Simply not buying food I want to binge on. If I can't leave it in the cupboard, it doesn't come home with me.
    *Increasing protein and whole foods. It just makes me feel better.
    *Enjoying a treat occasionally, but making sure it fits in with my calories.
    ( I do eat my exercise cals back, but I think I'd be fine if I didn't eat all of them too)

What doesn't work for me:
    *Having an "all or nothing" approach. This makes my brain freak out and binge
    *Cutting out entire food groups (low carb, low fat). This also makes my brain freak out and binge.
    *Being around cakes and sweets and junk food too much. It doesn't make my brain freak out.. I just want to eat it all.. NOW.

I'm not a crazy woman.. I promise?
  • gmaanneliese
    gmaanneliese Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What works: Not eating my excercise cals back. But being okay with it if I have a day when I'm starving and I need those extra cals. What also works is changing how I look at food. I don't see it as things "I can or can not have". I ask my self what fuels my body best? I have no desire for the office snacks that seem to be aplenty. Also, I found switching to 20 oz wanter bottles has helped. I still drink four a day but now that gives me 10 glasses instead of 8. It doesn't feel like I'm drinking that much more. What also works for me is praying, memorizing scripture pursuing this from a faith point of view. It really has been a faith journey for me.:bigsmile:

What doesn't work: Same excercise everytime. Not only do I get bored but the scale stops moving. I change it up, walking, aroebics, strength training, (haven't started running yet, but want to).