Day nine challenge!

Options
shovav91
shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
Good morning CAD'ers!
Yesterday's challenge went wonderfully- I hope you all continue to make positive changes to help the environment in the future as well!
Today's challenge:
Cook something you've never cooked before! There are so many healthy meals that can be found on the recipe boards, skinnytaste.com, and many other websites. Don't be afraid to try new things! Getting bored with eating the same old thing every day can cause you to stray from the program, and you may end up eating unhealthy things out of boredom. Keep it interesting and stay motivated!
If you don't have time to cook, try a new healthy food. Pick up a fresh fruit or vegetable you've never tried before, or pick up a healthy frozen meal.
Enjoy MFP! Let us know what wonderful new foods you discover!

Replies

• Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    ;o I am soooo cooking that soup I saw... brb XD
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I am going to try my hand at quinoa tonight...I got some from the store over the weekend. Now to actually cook it! Wish me luck :-)
  • dchienku
    dchienku Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    thanks for the great website!
    Denise
  • scubagirl319
    scubagirl319 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is very easy to cook. 1 cup quinoa to 2 cups water. Bring to a boil and them simmer covered for 12 mins, remove from heat and let sit for an additional 12 mins. Do not remove lid or stir till the 24 mins are up.

make sure you rinse your quinoa in water. You can also put the quinoa in the pan after you rinse it and toast it a little before you add the liquid. This will give it a nutty roasted flavor. Quinoa has a high fat content so be sure to watch it because it can burn easily when toasting. It will start to pop when heated in a dry skillet, just keep stirring till desired color.

You can also use beef or chicken stock to cook it in for more flavor depending on what you are serving it with.
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Hi folks,

I think my time zone is not working for some of these challenges. It's day 9 but 17:10 here so I've been to work and looking for my dinner.

However just by coincidence I am making a chicken and butternut squash soup. I've never made it before and making it up as I go along.

So yes I can take part in this challenge this evening ;)

Any hints on day 10 so I can have a heads up for tomorrow morning lol!
  • clintondene
    clintondene Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    i want to try a new veggi burger ive been looking at...
  • Orvett
    Orvett Posts: 83
    Options
    I just joined this group, and I am also trying quinoa today :)
  • clarech82
    clarech82 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Im also having trouble with the time zone so will try something new tomorrow
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Sorry for those of you having trouble with time zones! You're welcome to do the challenges a day late; they'll still be up!
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    O.k I'll try doing my challenges next day if its too late in my time zone.

I hope day 10 is doing something out of your comfort zone because I've agreed
    To go to Zumba Class. :embarassed:

Oh my soup was great, I've got tons of it so will be living off it for day's ha ha.

:bigsmile:
  • godsblessing
    godsblessing Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hmm...gonna try a new chicken recipe, thanks!
  • valerieottaviano
    valerieottaviano Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    To badwe don 't all liver close by we old share our vats of soup. Thank god my father likes his tupperware takeaways !
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    We made a homemade potato soup. It was tasty and very filling.
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Ha! I did do this without even seeing the challenge! I love this challenge!
    I was craving soup this week due to the weather change (cold!) and I wanted a low cal soup. So I basically made a veggie soup concoction with escarole, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, fresh herbs, chicken broth, green peppers and some beans. Needless to say I made a giant pot and got tired of it after 2 days. So I heated it, used an immersion blender to blend it all, Added some sauted turkey sausage and a little diced potatoes. Delicious!