All things travel :)

Options
I loooooooove to travel, and I know a lot of team UK-ers on my friends list do too! So... tell me about your travels! Where have you been? Where are you going next? Where is your ultimate destination? Whatever you want to say about travel!

I've been to Australia (Sydney, Alice Springs, Perth + smaller towns), UK (London, Edinburgh + several smaller towns/cities), Paris, Dublin, Oslo, Gothenburg, Berlin, Nice, Fiji, LA, New York and Venice. I think that's all, I may have forgotten some but I tried to go roughly in order.

I think my faves so far were Nice, Venice and Oslo :) Well, and London, Sydney and Alice but that is different since I've lived there.

Next up on my list is going back to Paris (we had an awful time the first time but I haven't given up yet) on our way to Berlin for the Christmas markets at the end of November. Other places that I'm really hoping to do soon are Iceland, snow adventure in Lapland, Quad biking and hot air ballooning in Morocco and Nile cruise as part of an Egypt trip.

So yeah, inspire us with your travel ideas :flowerforyou:

Replies

• netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    My next trip is Croatia and Montenegro. Have been to Papua New Guinea, Australia, New Zealand, New Caledonia, The US, South aFrica, The UK, italy, Germany, France, Bratislava, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, egypt, The list goes on.

Favourite cities? Budapest, Prague, Vienna and Aachen (i go there twice a year). Travelling is the reason i go to work! It is the only way to afford to see all these wonderful places :)
  • annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My Norwegian partner and I tend to start our travels by going to Oslo. Travelling anywhere from Shetland is complicated and expensive but once we're in Oslo (where we have a room in a friend's flat at our disposal), we usually go by Norwegian Airlines (frequent, cheap flights to many destinations) to somehwere in Europe. In October it was Budapest which I loved .His next trip is from December to February Shetland-Norway-Tenerife-Norway-Shetland (he's retired) and mine is to my sister's in Tillicoultry for New Year. Sometimes life doesn't seem fair.
    I've been to a lot of European countries, but my youngest daughter calls me unadventurous as I haven't been outside Europe. There's still time. Favourites so far - Paris, Budapest, Riga, Stockholm, Bergen.
  • peacheywoo
    peacheywoo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Ok....compared to some - not much I suppose but here goes:

London, Edinburgh, Cambridge - and various othe cities around Britain and Ireland
    Barcelona, Sitges
    Paris
    Hanover
    Crete, Kefalonia
    Turkey
    New York x 3
    California x 2
    Kenya
    Mexico (flying visit only)
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    My most interesting trip was to Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso where my husband and I married (he's from there).
    My favourite city I think is Prague.
    We are off to somewhere in the Caribbean in the next year - I'm excited as that is a new location for me.
    As I'm a Canadian living in the UK, I've done a bit of travelling in Europe while its convenient (coming here from Canada would be too expensive!). I've done France, Spain, Ireland, Scotland, England, Italy, Netherlands :flowerforyou:
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Sometimes life doesn't seem fair.

Tell me about it! Hubby often has conferences abroad and his work pays for the whole thing! I'm lucky if I can get my work to pay for a half day of study leave for a free conference next door! He's currently gutted because they have had some set backs this year (it's a small business) so they are not taking their annual 'team building' all inclusive Christmas trip to Spain. One year out of how many?! I try to argue that I should get to go as hubby doesn't drink which must save them a lot (since they are paying for everyone else to get drunk for 3 nights in a row!). :laugh:
  • MissFuchsia
    MissFuchsia Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I haven't travelled outside europe much :( Have been to Spain, Italy, Prague, Greece, Malta,Turkey, Cyprus, France and Tunisia.

Fav cities are Prague, Barcelona and anywhere in Italy!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Well I'm off to Madrid the week after next for my Birthday :happy: :glasses:

I've travelled quite a bit in Northern Europe. I liven in the Netherlands for 5 years so visited many places there and in Belgium and toured southern Germany, Switzerland. Been to Paris a few times, but apart from Calais and Boulogne I haven't really done France at all.

Sweden is my favourite European country and I adore Stockholm but have visited far and wide (Malmö, Göteborg, Jönköping, Falun) as well as Copenhagen in Denmark. Haven't been to Norway, Iceland, Finland or the Baltic states... but they are on my list.

Turkey is my new favourite summer destination and I've also been to Zakythos in Greece and Benidorm in Spain. I've done the Canaries to death esp Lanzarote, Gran Canaria and Tenerife. I've also been to Fureteventura the once and La Gomera a couple of times, but not La Palma or El Hiero.

Outside of Europe, I've been to the USA three times: the first time touring Virgina, Delaware, Maryland, Pensyvania; the second time NYC... one of the most fabulous cities in the world; and then I spent 1 days working in Scottsdale, Arizona and flew over the Grand Canyon and visited Sedona.

My hubbie has been much further afield - having walked the Inca trail to Machu Pichu in Peru, he's been to Australia three times, New Zealand, and Bali, Singapore and Tokyo as stop-overs. We went to NYC together but he's not been over to Europe much apart from with me to Stockholm, Rotterdam and Turkey.

I would love to do a World cruise once I've retired. Our friends did that for the Silver Wedding and thoroughly enjoyed it. They they went on a South American cruise with they loved and an East-Asian cruise which was less than spectacular. Havings aid that, Mari used to work for the Foreign Office so has literally travelled all over the globe to audit the embassies.

Good job I'm going away soon... all this talk of travel has given me itchy feet :laugh:
  • scubajojo
    Options
    Oh my...what a question! Almost 100 countries between my husband and I - work, study, live, travel....

Canada (birth country)
    USA
    Mexico
    all of Central America
    Colombia
    Argentina
    Peru
    Brazil
    UK (home for six years)
    all of Western Europe
    Poland
    Czech Rep
    Latvia
    Norway
    Sweden
    Iceland
    Cape Verde Islands
    most of Southern Africa
    Oman
    Saudi Arabia
    UAE
    Brunei
    Australia
    India (currently home)
    Nepal
    Thailand
    Japan
    Bhutan (coming up)
    China (coming up)
    Singapore
    Vietnam
    and on and and on and on......

Best place to visit by far - Norway and Iceland (according to me!)

Happy travels!!!
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Wow! Some people have some crazy long lists :) I started travelling in 2008 and have been trying to fit in what I can (but saving for our wedding in Australia last year set us back a bit!). I am hoping to get away a lot more in the coming year when we won't be using all of our annual leave on trips to Australia!
  • emilyajones
    Options
    Ive been to france, germany, belguim, austria, the czech republic, finland, poland, the netherlands, the dominican republic, grenada, florida, new yorrrrrk, the maldives, dubai, sri lanka, india, kenya, scotland, the channel islands, south africaaa.

I Loved South Africa, cant wait to go back hopefully in a few years to do a masters! Want to go to australia or new zealand to do the touristy things as well :).
    Apart from that, Id love to do a tour round europe again but alas, my student loan doesnt cover it!
  • panyg
    panyg Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Wow, I need to catch up with you lot!!

I'm been to Cyprus about 12 times (I'm Greek Cypriot). Greece, Crete, Germany, Hungary, France, Belgium, Holland, Danemark, Majorca, Egypt, Canada, USA. (Las Vegas, San Francisco, Oregon, Washington DC and Philladelphia), Cuba, Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia.

I'm planning a trip or 2 for December which will be Prague and/or Barcelona. Also planning Vietnam in January.

Best place would probably be Cuba. Just an incredible place and Havana is a must see when you are there.
  • peacheywoo
    peacheywoo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Ok....compared to some - not much I suppose but here goes:

London, Edinburgh, Cambridge - and various othe cities around Britain and Ireland
    Barcelona, Sitges
    Paris
    Hanover
    Crete, Kefalonia
    Turkey
    New York x 3
    California x 2 (LA, Fresno, SF, San Diego -and various spots in between)
    Kenya
    Mexico (flying visit only)

I forgot Lanzagrotty and Ireland!
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    At university I got a Scanrail card and travelled through Denmark Sweden and Norway for three weeks. I think we went Copenhagen - Gothenburg - Oslo - Bergen - Stockholm - Aarhus - Copenhagen, stopping off at various places along the way such as Hardangarfjord, Uppsala, Jelling, and Legoland. I adored Jelling and Uppsala, as I was a history student at the time and those places are full of history, in fact the whole of Scandinavia is. Loved Stockholm too - I would really like to go back there.

I've also been to New York and Baltimore, St Lucia, Istanbul, Berlin, Hamburg, Hong Kong..I love travelling. I'd do it more if I could.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I LOVE TRAVELLING! I am originally from Jamaica but have been living in the UK for the past 10 years.

So far I have been to the following:

USA (Florida only)
    Canada
    Scotland
    Netherlands
    Belgium
    France
    Italy
    Turkey
    Egypt
    Tobago
    Trinidad
    Grenada
    Antigua
    Dominica
    Barbados

My favourites in the above list are Turkey and Tobago. Istanbul was a great city. The warmth and kindness of the people in Tobago really made the trip special

My least favourites were Dominca and Egypt (Cairo).

Next on my to do list are Kenya, Singapore, Malaysia, UAE, Spain, Bermuda, New York