Washington Warrior Dash! July 21 and 22

Options
Anyone interested in racing or training for this race? I am in Olympia and workout mostly at 24 hour fitness...

Replies

• tdonlin
    tdonlin Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Anyone interested in racing or training for this race? I am in Olympia and workout mostly at 24 hour fitness...

I'll probably be doing this one next year. I missed this years Dash in North Bend due to an injury but did do the one near Portland in September. My advice on training for this is to find a hiking trail with steep hills and go for it. I used Pinnacle Peak in Enumclaw and I knocked over 20 minutes off my 2010 Warrior Dash time. If you know of any trails down in your area, maybe we could get together when the weather improves (Spring 2012).
  • GrolarBear
    Options
    Sounds great man...I just moved here a couple months ago, but I have a buddy that hikes a bit and probably knows of a good spot to train for this. I appreciate the advice and will keep in touch!

Thanks
  • tim_jennings
    tim_jennings Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have been seriously considering this race, and now I think I have just made up my mind. Would be great if a bunch of us MFP folks in the northwest could get together there for a photo!
  • tdonlin
    Options
    That sounds like a great idea. We would have to all register at similar times so that we could all be there at the same time. I've found that a start time of around 11ish on Saturday was preferable for us. Gave us time to take our time getting there and left us enough time to hang out afterwards a bit. Also gave us Sunday to recover and get everything cleaned up.
  • GrolarBear
    Options
    I am liking it...Saturday works great for me. Let me know when y'all are thinking of signing up
  • kelsiemay77
    Options
    Definitely considering signing up this year... I'm getting into running and a friend suggested it to me today as a goal for both of us. It sounds AWESOME and will definitely kick out butts but that's the exciting part!
  • tdonlin
    Options
    Warrior Dash just included a second race in Washington for September 2012 in Bonney Lake, WA.

Here is the link

http://warriordash.com/register2012_washington_2.php
  • tim_jennings
    Options
    Ok folks, it is just under 24 weeks until the Warrior Dash in North Bend and I want to know who all is going to participate, and when. I just signed up for Saturday at 12:30. I would LOVE to meet some of you all before, during or after the race. So let's have it, are you going to face the peril? If so, which wave?
  • VeggieKelli
    VeggieKelli Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hmm what exactly is the Warrior Dash? It sounds awesome, as long as it doesn't interfere with my Marathon training. Plus it would be way cool to have a big group from MFP!
  • tim_jennings
    Options
    You can go to http://warriordash.com/register2012_washington.php for the full info, but basically it is a 3.5 mile obstacle race. Including crawling through the mud, climbing rocks, cargo nets, etc. All while wearing a Viking helmet (or full costume if you prefer).
  • VeggieKelli
    VeggieKelli Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am so down for that!! Once I get some spare money, I will register, hopefully in the next couple of weeks!
  • Jessi40
    Jessi40 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    In Oly, there's some trails at Watershed Park and PPP that have some nice hills! Go for it!
  • WolffRN
    Options
    Was already planning on doing it!!! Sounds great!! Talking my family into it as well!:happy:
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I did the warrior dash last year in north bend, a couple things i learned...

-you're shoes will get destroyed (MUD) this does NOT mean you should train in nice shoes w/ the intention of running in your old beaters! i did this and ended up with fierce blisters and not being able to run the second half of it :( Sure i didn't have to ruin my nike free's but i think it woudl have been worth it to complete the race comfortably.
    -sure running trails might help (really any running will) but the thing that really slowed me down was the MUD, not the pool at the end but the thick sloppy cow field mud we ran through for the majority of the race. its NOT easy running through mud, it adds a lot of resistance plus if you're a chicken like me you slow down just to prevent slipping and falling in the stuff. It was very slow going even before my blisters started.
    -practice climbing vertical walls. the first obstacle we hit was (i'm guessing height) a 15 ft straight up and down wooden wall w/ ropes hanging down teh front of it, the only thing that helped us get over were these super thing like 1x2 inch boards nailed horizontally on it but they were spaced a good 3+ feet apart. i was terrified but made it over.
    -the mud pool at the end looks awesome and is aewsome BUT watch for rocks/gravel mixed in on the bottom, that stuff will tear up your knees!

Other than that the obstacles weren't that bad, the end was the most fun (climbing over the GIANT rope net wall, jumping the fire, and climbing through the mud). There was a real wide range of ages and abilities and some fun costumes. my gf and i were she-ra warrior princess (he-man's sister) (see my profile pic :)

This year i'm doing the san diego rock n roll, the seattle rock n roll, and the Ragnar northwest passage!

Good Luck!