Your biggest challenges??

Options
asalembier
asalembier Posts: 124 Member
What are your biggest challenges so far??

Mine are - I think I am a carb sensitive person. I did great all last week... then came the weekend, and I couldn't help myself. Now I am craving carbs again like crazy.

Need to find my motivation and drive again

Replies

• DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Biggest challenge for me is being exposed to starches. If they aren't there, I can resist.
    However, I have to cook for my growing teenaged son, and have to have some there for him. He gets pasta, rice, and bread on a regular basis.

I hate having to cook two separate meals in the evening, one for him and one for me. Guess which one of us loses? Me. I give up and either eat nothing or something cold and simple, like tuna. It gets tiresome, because I would like a hot meal, too. Sometimes our meal plans jive, but not all the time.

Traveling is a challenge, too, and trying to eat out while following this plan. I found some good options that work most of the time, but sometimes (like this past weekend), my options are just simply limited.

The good news: when I have to indulge in starches, I know whatever I gained will come off very quickly once I am back on plan. It has worked like a charm -- once I get motivated back in the right direction.

What kinds of starches are you craving? Is it at a particular time of day? I found that I had to identify some triggers and place an acceptable snack in that location to keep me on track for the long term.

4:00pm is a munchy time for me, so I have an Atkins bar while I'm driving home from work. When I walk in the door from work, I'm not hungry.

8:00pm is another time where I crave a treat. That's when I have my ice cream dessert.

By anchoring those two times with something in plan, I was able to stick to it.
  • beanrito
    beanrito Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I too am carb sensitive and I do love carbs. This is just my second say of cycle 1, and it actually hasn't bothered me, which is a miracle. Just try to stay busy, put the carbs out of sight, and try your hardest to stick to the program. I would say to try not to focus on what you can't have and just focus on the end result or something else. I think this is why I failed at other diets I tried because I was too consumed with missing foods I couldn't have. Soon enough, you will withdraw from the carbs!! I had a friend do this diet and be very successful with it, so I think knowing that a normal person that I know can do it, I can do it too!

I think my biggest challenge is going to be boredom with the variety of food in cycle 1. I don't eat fish, so that eliminates many options for me, so I guess it'll be chicken and turkey for me. So far I'm not sick of the same things, so I hope I can switch it up enough to stick with it for at least the first 17 days. Another challenge I think I will have is working a varied holiday schedule..sometimes days, sometimes nights. So planning my meals to take to work is going to be crucial so that I don't get the urge to eat something unhealthy.
  • DonnaLFitz
    Options
    You can also eat deer meat (which substitutes for beef well in most recipes). After the first 17-day cycle, I added some white pork and beef, but only the leanest cuts and no more than 4 oz. portions. Maybe ate 1 serving of each per week.

Chicken is so versatile. They even make chicken sausage now, which can add some variety.

Chicken Marsala is good, easy in the crockpot.

Chicken cordon bleu, homemade with bernaise sauce is good, too (use canadian bacon rather than ham).

Bake a chicken breast, then add a slice of provolone cheese and a teaspoon of Hollandaise and some asparagus, and that makes a good meal, too.

Just some ideas.
  • skyguy747
    skyguy747 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've always been challenged to eat well at work... when I started the 17 day diet this week, I made sure the fridge was full of easy to assemble lean protein for lunches: I went to Costco on Sunday and picked up fresh chicken breasts, ground turkey and fresh salmon, a giant bag of spinach, a giant bag of broccoli florets and a half dozen bell peppers.

The broccoli and spinach went into the fridge with a big corner cut off the bag. Half the peppers got diced, the other half got cut into strips. All the chicken went into the oven with assorted herbs and spices. Half the ground turkey went into the freezer, the other half became meatballs with an egg white and some seasoning and went into the oven. Then the salmon got cut into 3oz pieces and baked with assorted herbs and spices. By doing it in that order, it was all ready at roughly the same time. Out it came and I had enough food to feed an army.

Now, while I'm getting my son's lunch ready, I also make my own: I grab one of those three compartment plastic meal containers, pick a protein, grab some spinach & diced pepper for a salad, grab some raw broccoli and presto. Throw a yoghourt and an apple into the bag and away I go. Makes dinner prep a lot easier when I get home as well. Let's see if I can keep it up!
  • Burlesque12
    Burlesque12 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Im barely on day 5 of C1, and already have fallen into the carb pitfalls.
    My challenge is definitly feeding the family. I have two little kids that are healthy & very active, so of course they require carbs. My husband is very supportive & eating whatever I cook, but is not ready to go carb free & wants his carb side. So having dinner and watching them eat their side of pasta, potatoes, rice, etc. is driving me crazy! Im not going to lie, I did cave in in the past two days a bit. I am determined to start fresh today...its a new day.
    My biggest weakness is ice cream...I love it! I have stayed away from it, so I know anything is possible :)
  • DonnaLFitz
    Options
    I've always been challenged to eat well at work... when I started the 17 day diet this week, I made sure the fridge was full of easy to assemble lean protein for lunches: I went to Costco on Sunday and picked up fresh chicken breasts, ground turkey and fresh salmon, a giant bag of spinach, a giant bag of broccoli florets and a half dozen bell peppers.

The broccoli and spinach went into the fridge with a big corner cut off the bag. Half the peppers got diced, the other half got cut into strips. All the chicken went into the oven with assorted herbs and spices. Half the ground turkey went into the freezer, the other half became meatballs with an egg white and some seasoning and went into the oven. Then the salmon got cut into 3oz pieces and baked with assorted herbs and spices. By doing it in that order, it was all ready at roughly the same time. Out it came and I had enough food to feed an army.

Now, while I'm getting my son's lunch ready, I also make my own: I grab one of those three compartment plastic meal containers, pick a protein, grab some spinach & diced pepper for a salad, grab some raw broccoli and presto. Throw a yoghourt and an apple into the bag and away I go. Makes dinner prep a lot easier when I get home as well. Let's see if I can keep it up!

Planning is everything! I have a similar methodology, and that is truly what works. I've build a pattern based on the 17DD foods list and I know what goes into each slot. I get thrown off course when I run out of essentials and can't get to the store!

Keep up the good work.
  • DonnaLFitz
    Options
    Im barely on day 5 of C1, and already have fallen into the carb pitfalls.
    My challenge is definitly feeding the family. I have two little kids that are healthy & very active, so of course they require carbs. My husband is very supportive & eating whatever I cook, but is not ready to go carb free & wants his carb side. So having dinner and watching them eat their side of pasta, potatoes, rice, etc. is driving me crazy! Im not going to lie, I did cave in in the past two days a bit. I am determined to start fresh today...its a new day.
    My biggest weakness is ice cream...I love it! I have stayed away from it, so I know anything is possible :)

Yep, that is a BIG challenge. But should only be a problem for C1. After that, you can add two servings of starch into your daily plan. The trick is to pick a starch that works for everybody.

I like to make whole-grain bread in my bread machine. My growing teenaged son likes it as well, so I can fix us both lean protein and vegetables (he just gets 3 times as much on his plate!) plus bread. Oatmeal is good choice for breakfast.

And yet, Dr. Moreno does stipulate that starches should be eaten prior to 2pm. If you are young, then that rule may be less important for you. I think it is more applicable to the over-the-hill crowd. :)

Choose the starches you serve the family carefully, according to the lists. I think you will find it easier to stay on it if your meal can coincide with theirs at least to that degree.
  • icandothis6
    Options
    My biggest challenge is myself! I crave carbs and once I have one piece of bread (starches), it is all over. I say myself because I am just so hard on myself and sabotage myself as if on purpose. Don't know why I do that. I live alone and have no reason to "sneak" food, but I still do after 50 years!
  • Burlesque12
    Burlesque12 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Eating at home has become easy. Eating OUT is becoming a huge challenge. I sometimes do well & other times dont - like today. It seems impossible to escape carbs or sodium or fat, even in a so-called "healthier " dish. Whatever...Im just going to be more choosey in my selections & try to eat out less. Meaning, pack lots of snacks. Im always on the go with two kids. Its a CHALLENGE :/ for sure!!!
  • classyhoney
    classyhoney Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Biggest challenge was starting the 17DD in December so I have to make it through the holidays and only having select things. Luckily I found a lot of recipes that ar low carb and 17DD cycle 1 friendly like revolution buns with no flour and low carb just using eggs, cream of tartar and cream cheese and these are like sandwich bread and adding a few packets of truvia and cinnamon they taste like cinnamon rolls. The cauliflower pizza using riced cauliflower, eggs, and mozzerella cheese to make pizza crust and breadsticks has also been a lifesaver. Stuffed peppers with ground turkey, stuffed portabella mushrooms, zucchini spaghetti (allowed under cultural foods NO SQUASH IN CYCLE 1) just shred the zucchinni and add the turkey meat sauce. There are tons of recipes that are fabulous and are more than eating chicken, eggs, and tuna.

BUT the biggest challenge was definitely making it through the holidays.