Cold weather workouts

Options
kbonamour
kbonamour Posts: 49 Member
So... just curious what everyone plans on doing to keep up with excercising once the weather turns colder here in a couple more weeks?

Replies

• goddesshanna
    goddesshanna Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm already doing my indoor workouts since our street is super windy. I alternate between using a Stamina Spacemate folding stepper and doing (usually) step aerobics with my Wii. I have a wii game called EA Sports Active 2 with a built in heart rate monitor. I can build a workout that is all step aerobics, but it has lots of other workouts so I shouldn't get bored. The stepper was on sale a few xmas ago at gmc for $50 but it actually makes you work really hard. I have a treadmill on my wishlist for this year too. Really want to be able to run.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I live really close to one of the bike trails - so, I like to go walk the trail because it's fairly protected - low lying area. I also have a gym membership and try to be religious about getting there 4 times a week - meeting twice a week with a trainer really keeps me motivated since I'm paying for the privledge of having him kick my butt with strength training.

If a gym membership isn't an option - you might consider going mall walking - I did that after work and really thought it was a great way to walk off some pounds and window shop at the same time.

Des Moines has miles of skywalk that are great for exercising out of the winter weather - again, it's free!!!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Last winter I stayed indoors excpet on the occasional nice day. This year I am determined to get more outdoor cold weather running logged. Niether Snow, Rain, nor Sleet can stop me.
  • lrobin65
    Options
    I am finishing up on the 30 Day Shred and will start 6 week to a 6 pack ab next. I love using my Wii also. I have done the challenges on Active, More Active and Active 2 and enjoyed all of them. We hope to get an elipitcal for Christmas, but we'll see what happens! :smile:
  • KeeleySue
    Options
    I don't exercise outdoors at all, even in the summer. I mean, I play with my girls and stuff, but I don't go outside particularly for exercise.

I have a treadmill in my basement and sometime this winter I want to start 30DS.
  • LoreeBelle
    LoreeBelle Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    So far, all I've done is walking outside. When it's too cold or too dark, I do a Leslie Sansone walking DVD. We have a very small house and limited income, so no room/money for an elliptical or treadmill. In January, I used my Christmas cash to purchase Turbo Fire, but I've never had the guts to try it. Maybe will try that this winter? We have a Wii and Wii Fit (gifts), so I may also try some of that (if I can ever get the Wii/NetFlix away from my 2 girls! lol).

I know one thing for sure: I will NOT be a coach potato all winter again. I'm DONE with that!

Peace and blessings,
    Loree
  • kbonamour
    kbonamour Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love doing Just Dance 2 on the Wii, and we bought Just Dance 3 yesterday. It is so much fun that I have already done over 2 1/2 hours of dancing in the past 2 days! That will probably be my main exercising, along with some mall walking. I love to walk, hate the mall, but despise the cold weather more than I despise the mall. I'm already looking forward to spring!!!
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I still have been doing my 5 AM walks on M-W-F, and I will probably do that until my long john underwear doesn't cut it anymore. I also take a zumba class 2-3 days a week and I do a Bodypump class 1x a week. If my walks become nixed because of the weather, I'll probably try running on the treadmill again for awhile. I also have Biggest Loser on the Kinect or a couple of other videos- 30DS or P90X. I hate videos but in a pinch they work. I also have a gym membership. I better be staying on task with that list of activities!
  • maieranne77
    maieranne77 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I workout at Kosama daily but would like to start adding some running to my week. Prefer outside (layer, layer, layer) but have the deadmill if it drops below 15 degrees.
  • kpoud00
    Options
    I am doing my winter workouts with Biggest Loser Challenge WII Game. Love it! I live in Des Moines and work downtown so I am either in the skywalks or at the gym our company provides. I am already missing spring summer and early fall! Although it has not been too bad I have walked a few times in the afternoon outside or to my husbands work just to get a walk in.
  • Nala335
    Nala335 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you dress warmly, with a couple of layers and a good wind jacket, a good pair of gloves and hat....and can stand a bit of a chill for the first ten minutes until you warm up, then you're home free.

When I was regularly jogging, there were only about 3 days all Iowa winter that I couldn't go outside. I would take a longer lunch by coming in earlier to work and jog after the snowplows were done with their business on a few days...but there's nothing like the feeling of being outside. No inside workout compares. Now I prefer cold weather workouts and find that it's harder in the summer when the sun and heat make being outside unbearable.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone has been enjoying the warm weather we have been having. Im loving the mild temps for running.
  • dellrio
    dellrio Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You should consider some winter activities too - cross country skiing burns a ton of calories and is a great way to stay in shape. With good winter clothes you can stay comfortable regardless of the temperature. I ski and snowboard all winter long, pretty much sunup until sundown on the weekends and typically loose weight in the winter. In addition to the workout, your body will burn additional calories in the cold weather, because it consumes calories to help keep your body temperature in check.