Wedding Dress madness!!

Options
hillm12345
hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
So I'm getting married October 6th 2012. I have tons of time yet and have not officially purchased a wedding gown. I have gone to a couple shops to get an idea of what fits my body and what styles I like... the problem I'm running into though is that many are SO DARN EXPENSIVE!! Graciously, my future mother in law has offered to buy my dress and she refuses to give me a cap "Just get something you like" I don't want to take advantage of her, but I want a nice dress. I also do NOT want to shop David's Bridal. Nothing against them, I just didn't see anything I liked... I also am hesitant to buy something online without trying it on... with such a huge price tag I can't afford two...

anyone else in this boat?

Replies

• AshleyLauren589
    AshleyLauren589 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I went to a few boutiques by my house to try on styles I liked, then went and ordered it where I could get it cheaper. It's kinda shady, I know, but I don't want to hand over a small fortune for a dress I will wear once! Just go try stuff on, see how it goes, and then order it from the lowest bidder. Do your homework, and don't let those boutiques pressure you! Everywhere I went was all like, you'll get a discount if you buy today, blah blah blah. It's all lies. Someone will get you that dress for a a fair price.

The dress I'm ordering ranged from $750 - 1500 based on which store I was in. No joking- Be careful!
  • reneeileen
    reneeileen Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    My dress is arriving on December 17th! I am totally freaked out though because I've dropped from a 24 to an 18 and I have no plans on slowing my weight loss. I'm not sure what to do about my dress and if it will be possible to alter it properly. I'm a little freaked and I'm honestly considering selling it and finding a new dress. My wedding is in April so I would have to buy something that is in stock somewhere. Ack! I never realized that getting married would be so stressful!

@ hillm12345 - I think the important thing is to get out there and try on dresses at different places. There are beautiful dresses to be found at every price range.
  • Joanie823
    Options
    I hear ya about davids bridal - i went there, tried a bunch of dresses on and left empty handed. I went to a small boutique, they ordered something i liked without any sort of commitment. I fell in love with it! and it was cheaper than one of the davids bridal dresses i could have settled with. I was scared to go to a small boutique cause i figured they would jack up thier prices since they don't carry as many dresses as the big bridal stores. That was not the case, it was almost $500.00 cheaper than the website's MSRP (It was a mary's dress and they have the prices online) I ordered it in my size now, my goal is to have to have it taken in! ;)
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    (posting for others to read :)

Hi! Where do you live at? Have you ever heard of Group USA? They sell a label from Camille La Vie and I, personally, think they are an excellent product. I bought my dress from there after a few boutiques let me down. My sister in law actually got her gown there too. They range from about $199 to $899. Mine was $899 and it looks like it costs thousands! They always offer specials (I got $100 off and when I opened a card I saved 15%.)

Her dresses fit TRUE to size! I wear a 12 pants and a 8/10 skirt and dress. I ordered a 10. It's beautiful. I actually even FB messages the designer and she called to talk to me.

As for shapes. I always assumed I would like an A line or poofy thing. To hide my hips and booty. WELL my dress is a mermaid and I look sexy!!!! LOL I have been self conscious about my butt and curves since I was younger. But not now! ;) I think you should explore everything!!!!!
  • GMPetti82
    GMPetti82 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If there's an Alfred Angelo store near you, they tend to have many dresses in a really reasonable price range. I know she hasn't given you a cap, so try to think of what you'd be comfortable asking her to spend and give that number to a sales rep up front. They should be able to help you find something!
  • Abusser
    Abusser Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just bought my dress at the 2nd place I went. The first salon (Kelly''s Closet in Atlanta, GA) was too expensive for the dresses I liked.... around $5,000. I ended up going to a Bridal Show and heard about a sample sell at Winnie Couture in Atlanta, GA. I didn't plan to buy a dress but the prices were marked down 50-80% and I found one I loved. I was really stressed b/c I was by myself and I really hadn't even started shopping for a dress yet.... I was just going to look around. However the dress is 4 sizes too small but luckily my grandmother is a seamstress and can alter the dress. My grandmother has given me until April to lose weight. I ended up paying $1,000 for a dress that would normally cost a lot more.

Well with all that said look for sample sales or also if you try on a dress you like try to find the same dress online for a lot less. I would be very careful to make sure it is really the same dress and not a bad reproduction.

Also in Atlanta we have some very nice bridal consignment stores (le dress, Fabulous Frocks, etc.)... that was my plan until I ended up at a sample sale. However alterations can be very expensive. I knew I could buy a dress that was not my size b/c of my seamstress grandmother.

My friend bought her dress on craigslist. You can buy dresses from brides who changed their mind or wedding was canceled. I would just make sure I could try it on first.

Another option I was looking at was having one made. I was looking at etsy.com for options.

Anyway I really think you should try to at least get a range... peoples idea of reasonable price really differs.

Good luck!
  • gagagul
    gagagul Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    @kerri thanks for that information I am looking it up as we speak i have always envisioned what i would look like in those mermaid dresses and i tend to have a bigger bottom if you know what i mean so having be open to all types of dresses might help me in the end! I will check it out!!!
  • megskin15
    Options
    I purchased my dress at a boutique in my area (Appleton, WI) and they were amazing. The consultant I worked with was extremely helpful and I found something I liked right away that was comfortably in my price range. The dress is a Jasmine design and everyone who has seen a picture of it says that it's "totally me", which is definitely what I was hoping for :) I did order it in a size that I wasn't comfortable with but she reassured me that the "model sizes" aren't based off of "real girl" sizes and that they would be able to alter it to fit me perfectly. My mom and I had an appointment at Davids Bridal later in the day and even though I found "the dress", we went anyway to see if there was something else. I was very disappointed with the service we got there and the consultant was not helpful at all. She did nothing to let me know that the dresses would fit me differently when ordered in the correct size. I left there and don't plan on returning for any business (except maybe to buy shoes for the wedding- there are a pair of shoes there with 3 mm of memory foam in the sole of the shoe........... so comfy)

We went through the same boutique for the bridesmaids dresses (Alfred Angelo) and even though the price was increasing, the consultant said she'd knock off $15 for each girl who ordered through the boutique to even out the price. How awesome!
  • TNTwedell
    TNTwedell Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    This might a completly unpopular suggestion - but have you looked into renting your wedding dress?
    I can imagine what kind of position you're in with your FMIL offering to pay - theres guilt attached to not spend too much; but you want to make sure you get the dress of your dreams & not sacrafice!
    One of my girlfriends just got married - she was pregnant at the time - so didnt want to spend a ton of money on a dress (since she was 6mths pregos); she ended up renting hers. She found an amazing Vera Wang, they altered it for her and everything.
    it was perfect - only cost her around $500 bucks & the best part is - you dont have to worry about cleaning/storing it afterwards.
    I am seriously considering this route.
    Just an extra thought - as if you dont have enough people giving you opinions these days ;) oh, the life of a soon-to-be-bride. HAHA
  • Nita_B
    Nita_B Posts: 20
    Options
    I am on a limited budget. I live in the Atlanta area and I have found some upscale resale shops. I have found $2000-$3000 dresses for less than $900. Some are previously worn and some are dresses bought from stores that have gone out of business. internet search for your area...and good luck!
  • tabatha_burris
    Options
    Ive went to a few dress stores and cant find the one i love but all of the ones I like were in the 1000 dollar range and I came home and look online I found all of them under 200! If u find something in the store you like but its out of ur budget look for that dress online! Im getting married October 6th and im concerned about not having a dress just because Its got to be shortened and I also want the train removed since I cant find any dresses in the fit and flare style with no train!!!!
  • CaitlinMyers428
    CaitlinMyers428 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I got my dress from eBay for $183. It's custom fit and handmade. I can't wait to receive it. :)