What Exercise Do You Have Your Kids Do?

Options
amybell68
amybell68 Posts: 275 Member
I have been having my daughter walk with me everyday and that is going well, but I don't want her to get board, what kinds of things do you have your kids do for exercise??

Replies

• HisBeachgirl
    HisBeachgirl Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Each of my children have their own activity that they love and get to do. My two girls take a gymnastics class once a week, my younger son has Taekwondo twice a week, and my oldest son goes from sport to sport as the seasons come and go. (Basketball practice starts Monday!) All of my kids ride their bikes just for fun several times a week, so I have no need to make them work out with me.

That said, my daughter (12yrs) wanted to go running with me and I allowed her to on Friday. I'm not sure I could call it true running as I was on week 1 of C25K, I walked more than I ran. But she had no problem keeping up with me, she wasn't even out of breath! I think I have a new goal. To be able to make my daughter winded!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Along with the many activities that my daughters are involved in they come the gym with me. Our local YMCA allows kids over 11 to do almost anything. So they are on treadmills, exercise bikes, ellipticals and think it is all fun! Plus, there is a pool so we also swim. We walk together as well.

D
  • jennifero469
    jennifero469 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I don't have my kids do any formal exercise right now. We ride bikes as a family any time we can instead of taking the van, but other than that, they are so active when they play, I really hadn't thought of doing anything else.

What do you see the goal of exercise for kids to be? Is it just to get them active and keep them fit, or to teach them things they will need to stay fit as their lives get more structured and there is less time to just play and be active? I have thought about this in the past and not come to any great conclusion. I am not sure if I need to add something more structured that might become part of their routines as the get older or just encourage activity and staying fit through the things they are already doing. Any thought?
  • MrsJones98
    Options
    This is an area I struggle with. I want my kids to be active more easily than I am, so I am always trying to find things they like to do so they will have life-long habits that are active. We enjoy sit-down games and activities too much!

Right now we enjoy walking, some running (as a family ) and yoga. They have never been interested in team sports, but are starting so show interest in individual sports, so we're going to see where that goes.

For me, it's more about developing a lifestyle, since I believe the health benefits will come along naturally with the lifestyle.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I'm just trying to keep up with mine!!! She loves to go outside, walk to the park, go rollerblading (I walk, I gave up blading), biking, hiking.....we do hula hoop competitions fairly often, too. But I don't have to do anything to keep her active.
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    We have a Wii Fit + that my kids like to use. When the weather is ok (not so much right now), they ride their bikes around the neighborhood.
  • cnew02
    Options
    I get tired just watching my boys! I don't make them do any set exercise. They are always moving. My 9 year old has muscles that 20 year olds would die for, lol.
  • jb852013
    jb852013 Posts: 116
    Options
    I am trying to excersize by taking their lead. I don't have them do any excersize. They naturally get excersize through play and that is what I want to do to. We like to play Wii games together such as Just Dance. When they want to go out and play I walk on our circular sidewalk while they play, or I try to play tag with them which is really hard for me. I love the idea of doing hula hoop together. I also used to play tennis in high school and I really want to start playing again. My oldest is 6 so not the greatest tennis partner. I need to find a friend to play tennis with.
  • bolhuis5
    bolhuis5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My kids have horseriding once a week and they also do a Teen Strength class at our YMCA, which meets twice a week. My youngest has now been able to join and this has helped tremendously lose inches for the boys and gain endurance.
    I also work at the Y, which includes taking kids swimming and my daughter does that with me as well.
    I also have them take our two labs for a walk (everyday weather permitting).
    My daughter enjoys running so this spring and summer she will be running beside me.
  • luvmybaby333
    Options
    Since it's winter, and we don't go outside to play very often, they have just been exercising on the Wii. I don't make them do it, but they have seen me doing it and it makes them want to.
  • enchantedeskape
    Options
    We are having a pretty mild winter, so they bike outside a lot...but also:

My daughter runs with me (she's doing the couch to 5K program while I train for my 10K), and on our run days, my son does a "Fit kids" program at my gym.

The kids are also in swim class right now, and we either fire up the Wii Fit or Kinect Sports.

Come fall, my son will be in football again...my daughter wants to continue with swimming. She really likes it a lot!