What's your workout plan?

Options
So, I'm at a plateau. I've been losing and gaining the same pound for a month now, and have been doing all the right things.

I think it's time to re-visit my workout plan because my body is used to it, but I'm not sure what to do.

I don't go to a gym, and only do home workout videos like Zumba and Turbo Jam.

My RA won't allow me to run, or do P90X / Insanity type stuff.

What is your workout routine? I need some new ideas. :)

Replies

• dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I exercise at home too, but I have a little gym in my basement. So depending on how i feel, I will use one of the exercise bikes, treadmill, or a DVD or EA Sports for the Wii. Maybe try some low weights and see if that helps? It could be that your body is getting into a routine. You might try shaking up your diet too.
  • christmre
    christmre Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I try to do lots of different types of exercises, I have a little workout room, and I use an elliptical, or I do the wii fit, and I love to do the walk at home dvd's with Leslie Sansone, it's a great low impact workout.
  • Lorijo50
    Options
    I can't run either, I am trying to walk more and I want to start the wii fit again, I got away from it.
  • jrgold
    jrgold Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have found that it just depends on what I can do on any given day. When my right ankle is flaring up, obviously I dont run or do cardio. I have no cartilage left in my shoulder basically (getting surgery eventually), so I cannot perform any arm exercises whatsoever. One thing I can always do is ab workouts.
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I do Curves for Women (circuit training with resistance machines) 6 days a week 30-45 minutes and Zumba 4 days a week for an hour and 1/2 hour on a 5th day. If I'm feeling extra motivated (or guilty) I'll also do squat kicks or step aerobics as I watch TV in the evening (I use my HRM and try for at least 250 cal per session there).

My rheumatologist just shakes his head and says "if you can do it and it's not painful, then keep doing what you're doing". He says that the more fit I am and the more weight I lose, the longer I can put off knee replacements. (I think his goal for me is another 20 years, if possible.)
  • nabooth
    nabooth Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My rheumatologist just shakes his head and says "if you can do it and it's not painful, then keep doing what you're doing". He says that the more fit I am and the more weight I lose, the longer I can put off knee replacements. (I think his goal for me is another 20 years, if possible.)

My rheumatologist told me the same thing. Do anything that doesn't cause more pain or discomfort...and that besides keeping up with my meds is exercising and keeping my joints moving. I bought a bike (never been a big runner) and my doc thought that was great (a biker herselt). I bought a mountain bike so the shocks would be easier on me! Other than that, just whatever...I read recently that if you're able, it's important for people with weaker joints to strengthen the muscles around them...makes sense...so I hope to start doing some circuit strength training exercises. I LOVE yoga and really want to get back into that.
  • Amayrial
    Amayrial Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I was told absolutely NO running. walking is ok. zumba ok. riding my bike is ok. Yesterday I started Jillian Michael's 30 day shred. I actually like it, although today I'm stiff like in the middle of a flare. I might try doing every other day to give myself time to heal between work outs, and decrease my hand weights from 5 pounds (what I have at home) to 1 or 3 pounds.

they say swimming is excellent but getting to the pool doesn't work for me.
  • paulyarwooduk
    Options
    I was told absolutely NO running. walking is ok. zumba ok. riding my bike is ok. Yesterday I started Jillian Michael's 30 day shred. I actually like it, although today I'm stiff like in the middle of a flare. I might try doing every other day to give myself time to heal between work outs, and decrease my hand weights from 5 pounds (what I have at home) to 1 or 3 pounds.

they say swimming is excellent but getting to the pool doesn't work for me.

I do the 30 day shred too; I stick to level 1 and do it every other day and sometimes I don't use weights - my shoulders thank me for that!
  • TOYGRRRL
    TOYGRRRL Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Walking walking walking... Zumba or dancing when I'm not in pain. Bicycling on rare occasions that my hubby wants to go too and can put the bike rack and bikes onto the car. I'm not so good in the knees so I can't ride in my own neighborhood because of the severe hills. My walks start with with the 52 stairs uphill from our front door to the sidewalk and on good RA days I will go up and down the stairs for a lil bit before actually going on my walk to give a boost to my calorie burn. When I started on MFP I had trouble going up the stairs one time. The weight loss has truly helped. It's crazy to think I was carrying 20+ extra lbs around.

Good luck on your journey. Feel it out and make sure you don't make things worse by pushing too much.
  • ndbex
    ndbex Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Jillian Michael's and all her workouts but they almost always hurt in a bad way. I think it's all the lunges and squats. I'm on the waiting list to do an arthritis aqua program.
  • amaryllis88
    amaryllis88 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm on the waiting list to do an arthritis aqua program.

That sounds like fun! I do go to the gym, mainly do the treadmill (increase the incline, but don't walk that fast), or the bike, I've worked up to doing a resistance of 9 to 11, depending on how hard I want to work that day. I usually finish off with swimming, and then straight to the hot tub right after, I find that it helps. Some days are better than others, though, it's definitely hard to listen to your body's signals sometimes.
  • melisha922
    melisha922 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I do an elliptical machine... can't run or bike bc of my knees. In addition, I've started using the daily workout apps- particularly the ab one. Getting my core into better shape takes stress off of everything else and is a workout you can do with little impact issues.
  • superflycat2
    superflycat2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yeah!!! Walk at home! Those are nice for my knees :) How many calories do you log those for here?