thanksgiving

Options
what are you doing?

everyone's so concerned with "I dont' wanna overeat" and "holidays are so fattening."

what's your plans?

My plans, it's a day off from work, that's all.

I don't really have a family so since I was 12, holidays havn't been important.

are holidays important to you?

Replies

• KeeleySue
    Options
    Are you in Iowa, by chance? You're more than welcome to join me and my family. :smile:

I have 3 (THREE!!!) Thanksgiving dinners to attend, on 3 different days.

I plan on treating them like any other meal and counting my calories and stopping when I'm full.
  • coatsie79
    coatsie79 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you guys manage thanksgiving in November and Christmas in December. It's times like these i'm so glad i'm British :wink:
  • david581c
    Options
    Are you in Iowa, by chance? You're more than welcome to join me and my family. :smile:

I have 3 (THREE!!!) Thanksgiving dinners to attend, on 3 different days.

I plan on treating them like any other meal and counting my calories and stopping when I'm full.
    ha, so far away, im in CA. i figure something out, thanks though.
    I don't know how you guys manage thanksgiving in November and Christmas in December. It's times like these i'm so glad i'm British
    im insanely jealous of your britishness
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'm going to Madrid because it's my birthday. Always very grateful that my American cousins want to give thanks for my birth :wink:
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    We never do anything big for Thanksgiving. Last year, I spent the holidays in Italy for an internship and my parents told me it was the most boring Thanksgiving they have ever celebrated. They had half a turkey (gave the other half to my Godfather) and all the fixings, but they missed me. ;-; We'll probably have the same Thanksgiving they had this year, but I'll do most of the cooking. Just the three of us.

Street cats usually get the giblets and carcass. XD
  • sangostar
    sangostar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I live in Japan and they definitely don't do thanksgiving. So an American friend and I will be hosting a Thanksgiving party. I'm going to work out that morning after I get stuff in the slow cooker and then later have it like a normal heavy meal beacuse I'll need to eat back my calories XD
  • david581c
    Options
    you're all so international, I feel inspired and timid at the same time.
  • humglum
    humglum Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The wife and I are having a small dinner here. I'm not really close with my family so we usually stay home. She is cooking, I am baking her favorite lemon cake for dessert, we will drink egg nog and maybe put up the Christmas tree and watch Polar Express.
    It is just one day a year. I will not be tracking or counting anything.
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    Options
    Me and soon to be wife are getting married on Wednesday and for our thanksgiving honeymoon we get to spend it at her moms....every one dream cometrue honeymoon
  • KittMahan
    Options
    Cooking for 20. Eating for one.... :p
  • sarablueskies
    sarablueskies Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    not much of a holiday person and i'm pretty much by myself in new mexico with all my family back in pennsylvania. i don't really mind, i'm invited to several dinners but i actually like having the day to myself to relax from work. not very healthy though...chinese food and rum and cokes are my festivities! i'll have to make sure to get some exercise in at least!
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    The holidays used to be important, but I don't have family anymore aside from a grandmother that lives too far away. It will just be another day for me.
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I was going to post this same topic!

We are having a small Thanksgiving at my mom's house. Most of my relatives are out of town this year and even my oldest son will be with his gf.

My mom and I have committed to a small (as in number of dishes) low-ish in calories, Thanksgiving. We are only having about four small side-dishes and 2-3 of them are low-cal. My mom got a turkey breast instead of the whole turkey.

Unlike some people, I really don't have willpower if the food is right there, in front of my face. I'm happy not to overeat this year.

Best and happy holidays to people in the US and not :)

Debbie
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    our thanksgiving plans kind of fell through. so mom and i are going to make a small turkey w/ trimmings - but not as big as we would if it were the whole family. probably turkey, stuffing, gravy, cranberry and a salad.

i'm going to take mom and the puppy to the park in the morning and walk around. then we're going home, sitting on the couch and watching Supernatural all day. LOL.

a no-stress holiday - this will be a FIRST.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving...hmm...we usually don't do anything (mainly because we're not around or family's not around) but this year we're having it at our house (and it's my mom's last few days in Houston before she moves).

It'll be a grand total of four people and three dogs - not a huge production - and since it's at our place we get to say what's served!
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Turkey day is with the gf's family. Although I got roped into cooking a turkey this year, should be interesting since I've never cooked one. I'll have to be careful though, Mexican thanksgivings come with A LOT of food, and non if it is healthy!

I haven't spent the holidays with my immediate family in almost 4 years now. Once I hopped coasts travel unfortunately wasn't in the cards for me. But that's ok. I see them when the traveling isn't so iffy and the weather is better!
  • david581c
    Options
    Me and soon to be wife are getting married on Wednesday and for our thanksgiving honeymoon we get to spend it at her moms....every one dream cometrue honeymoon

dude your getting married?

congrats, man.

I hate to force myself so and ask to be apart of someone's dinner, so I'm going to volunteer at a nearby shelter...otherwise I'd drink all day, I'd rather help someone...