Local Food

Options
Jorra
Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
Let's use this place to talk about any special local finds. Farmer's Markets, healthy restaurants, or the newest sale at Cub!

Replies

• Jorra
    Options
    One thing I do love is Justin's Nut Butter. It's an organic brand that makes peanut butter, almond butter, and hazelnut butter. The website says you can get them at SuperTarget in the cities, but I have found it other places as well. The Just Food Co-Op in Northfield carries the chocolate hazelnut flavor.

http://www.justinsnutbutter.com/shop.php

Check it out!
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    are there any places North of the cities that serve sushi? I don't get down there but once a year but I do go to Duluth every few months.... and Im not too far from St Cloud. I grew up in California, and Sushi is something that I miss.
  • Jorra
    Options
    are there any places North of the cities that serve sushi? I don't get down there but once a year but I do go to Duluth every few months.... and Im not too far from St Cloud. I grew up in California, and Sushi is something that I miss.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/nf/209/24013/22036/Minnesota/St-Cloud/Sushi-Restaurants

Wish I knew anything from personal experience, I've only been to the St. Cloud area once for a college tour. There's a new Japanese Steakhouse in Northfield that I'm excited to try out.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    Options
    Thanks! now to talk my minnesota native wife into trying Sushi.... :-P
  • Jorra
    Options
    Thanks! now to talk my minnesota native wife into trying Sushi.... :-P

Start her off with the rolls. That's how I got into it, California Rolls from Cub!
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    just say no to sushi ;) Although we do have a few places in town that I've heard are superb, I just don't like the stuff.

Been diggin' on local produce - had a fabulous acorn squash last night, and eating little zucchini cut up in my salads :)

And if you get to Duluth, GO TO THE DULUTH GRILL..............for any meal. They are the coolest, and really emphasize healthy stuff and homegrown foods :)
  • Tippytoesk8er
    Options
    Folks who live in S. Minneapolis near Lake Calhoun have access to a Whole Foods store which stocks things like black radishes, 4 types of beets, sunchokes, and other things you can't get at Cub. I'm jealous.
  • Jorra
    Options
    Folks who live in S. Minneapolis near Lake Calhoun have access to a Whole Foods store which stocks things like black radishes, 4 types of beets, sunchokes, and other things you can't get at Cub. I'm jealous.

There's also a Whole Foods at 30 S. Fairview Ave. in St. Paul and one will open on France Ave in Edina next year!
  • Tippytoesk8er
    Options

There's also a Whole Foods at 30 S. Fairview Ave. in St. Paul and one will open on France Ave in Edina next year!

Sadly, none of those are close to my home or work. :cry:
  • JasonSwetland
    JasonSwetland Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    http://www.freshearthfarms.com/ Check this local farm out. Im planning on reserving a crop share for next year. If you friend em on facebook you can see tons of pictures of the food they supply al summer and fall fresh from the farm. They are located in Afton Minnesota, but they deliver all over the twin cities during local farmers markets.

Does anyone work downtown Minneapolis in the summer? Thursdays the Minneapolis Farmers market is all along Nicollet and is like a festival all day long on Thursdays. The food is fresh and delicious.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    Options
    Its amazing. Yesterday I asked about Sushi???? and then after work, I went to buy some fresh fish from the butcher at coborns and he had just ordered in some pre packaged california roll sushi!!!!

Wife tried it and loved it, ( not the wasabi, that was too much for her :-P)

now to cut her teeth in the real stuff....
  • Jorra
    Options
    Yay! I'm happy to hear she liked it. Now you can try out one of the places we found online.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    There is a Fugi's Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar in Waite Park/St. Cloud. I haven't been but hear that it is very good. My son and brother-in-law have both been abd enjoyed it. It is a bit pricey though.
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    One thing I do love is Justin's Nut Butter. It's an organic brand that makes peanut butter, almond butter, and hazelnut butter. The website says you can get them at SuperTarget in the cities, but I have found it other places as well. The Just Food Co-Op in Northfield carries the chocolate hazelnut flavor.

http://www.justinsnutbutter.com/shop.php

Check it out!

the super target here in Rochester has it. but was tough to find. Even the store personnel couldn't find it at first.
  • brandeejean
    brandeejean Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    We've gotten a crop share from Featherstone Farm in the past. We did the summer share but they also added one for winter (booked up this year) and they have lots of different locations you can pick up your box at. They have 3 differenct sizes to choose from and we ended up trying veggies we'd never had before. http://featherstonefarm.com/
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    My favorite local food product is a salsa called "Minnesalsa". It's SO good and made locally.

I also love the farmers' markets and the Wedge and Seward Co-ops for fresh local produce and meats.
  • leiacw
    Options
    We're getting summer and winter shares from ploughshare farm (http://www.ploughsharefarm.com/) and get anything else we need to from the St Paul farmer's market (it's easier to find parking at than the Minneapolis one). Otherwise, I live about equidistant from Seward Co-Op and Mississippi Market, although I feel that Seward has slightly better prices.
  • ScubaAmyMN
    ScubaAmyMN Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Has anyone found (or calculated) calorie information for The Good Earth? I'm going there tonight, and would like info on various choices before I go, but I couldn't find anything on their website. I know I could make a decent choice, but the dressings and stuff always sneak up on me.

Thanks.
  • JennaClaire520
    JennaClaire520 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    There's this pasta that my friend and I found at Lakewinds that is made out of beans like black beans and soy beans. It has the regular amount of calories most pasta has- BUT it has about 20 grams of protein in it and less carbs than most pastas. If anyone is ever curious- the brand is Explore Asian.
  • Jorra
    Options
    There's this pasta that my friend and I found at Lakewinds that is made out of beans like black beans and soy beans. It has the regular amount of calories most pasta has- BUT it has about 20 grams of protein in it and less carbs than most pastas. If anyone is ever curious- the brand is Explore Asian.

Thanks! I wonder if they have it at Cub, or even Whole Foods.