types of belly dance. . .

Options
what are the different types of belly dance and what are the differences in them?? ive been belly dancing about a month. i purchased discover bellydance(with three dvds) it says egyptian(not sure if that is the type) am thinking about purchasing a couple more dvds but would like to know the different types :) thanks yall :)

Replies

• irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Hi,

there are about as many styles as you can think of, and hopefully others will chime in on any corrections to my lexicon. :bigsmile: So I will give you 3 main categories with sub categories in just about all of them.

Cabaret American Tribal (ATS) Fusion
    Egyptian (spangly, bigger movements Created by Carolina Naraschenko This is the biggest category
    traditional music, some drama but mostly of the troupe Fat Chance Belly Dance and as you can imagine, includes e
    flirty. Traditional dance is kind of long in San Francisco. pretty much group everything to the left. Most movements
    and includes a fast section where dancer dance that includes traditional music. are tighter. Includes traditional music,
    enters veiled, slow section loosing the veil, I think I've seen them incorporate other spanish, African, Pop, Electronic, Metal
    fast section with lots of joi de verve, slow ethnic music like African and Spanish. Jazz, etc. I guess the founder would
    section that includes floor work and a final The movements are tighter, facial expressions have to be Souhailia Salimpour.
    fast section that includes the drum solo and more toward haughty, queen-like and or other leaders in this are Rachel
    ends with a moderate tempo where in the warrior-like. Clothing is less spangly, jewelry is Brice and her troupe, The Indigo.
    dancer exits. chunky. All improv led in turns by the dancers. Jane Archer, Zoe Jakes, Ansuya,
    Lots of troupes, but the only one I know is Mardi Love, Kami Liddle. That's all I
    Turkish similar in dress modes but can go Gypsy Caravan out of Portland, OR. can think of. Oh and it can include
    more toward folkloric. Includes props such fire fans and poi or spinning fire.
    as cane and candelabra. includes 9/8 time This is my preference.
    signature which sounds a lot like a galloping
    horse. Can also include gypsy.
    both of these main styles include the use
    of zills or finger cymbals.

Greek which is much like Cabaret but doesn't
    use zills. I don't know much else about it.
    Aziza and Jillina are 2 dancers in this category.
    I thnk they also both do Turkish as well as Egyptian.
  • mayhemrat2
    mayhemrat2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    ATS (American Tribal Style) is a group improvisational format. That means every move has a "cue", one person is leading the group and the cue allows everyone else to follow (and sorry irridia, but it's Carolena Nericcio of Fat Chance Bellydance).

There is also Urban Fusion, which is getting very popular. Usually use more industrial type music and "popping" movements. Check out Edenia at www.edeniabellydance.com... she's pretty awesome.
  • irridia
    Options
    thanks can't spell and too lazy to look it up. Oh and just by glancing at my post it appears it didn't format the way I inteded. Hopefully everything stayed with its intended catagory! eep!

wow!just looked at it and it is a mess. I might try to fix it if I get bored at work. poor girl. Prolly confused the He)( out of her.
  • irridia
    Options
    OKAY I have reformatted this so hopefully it will make more sense now. What a freakin mess!

there are about as many styles as you can think of, and hopefully others will chime in on any corrections to my lexicon. So I will give you 3 main categories with sub categories in just about all of them.

Cabaret
    Egyptian (spangly, bigger movements This is the biggest movement
    traditional music, some drama but mostly flirty. Traditional dance is kind of long and includes a fast section where dancer dance that enters veiled, slow section loosing the veil, fast section with lots of joi de verve, slow section that includes floor work and a finalfast section that includes the drum solo and ends with a moderate tempo wherein the dancer exits.
    Aziza and Jillina are 2 dancers in this category. I think they also both do Turkish as well as Egyptian

Turkish similar in dress modes but can go more toward folkloric. Oh and it can include props such as as cane and candelabra. includes 9/8 time signature which sounds a lot like a galloping horse. Can also include gypsy.

both of these main styles include the use of zills or finger cymbals.

Greek which is much like Egyptian but doesn't use zills. I don't know much else about it.

American Tribal (ATS)
    Created by Carolena Nericcio of the troupe Fat Chance Belly Dance in San Francisco.
    Lots of troupes, but the only other one I know of is Gypsy Caravan out of Portland, OR. Most movements are tighter. includes traditional music,I think I've seen them incorporate other ethnic music like African and Spanish. The movements are tighter, facial expressions more toward haughty,queen-like or warrior-like. Clothing is less spangly jewelry is chunky. It is all improv led in turns by the dancers using cues. There are also fusion versions of this that expand on the ats vocabulary and music and can include some choreo. A technique that makes this easier than it sounds is that everything is done first to the left/right and then to the right/left. So if you watch the leader and do a movement in one direction, you don't have to look at her to know the next move is the same in the other direction. Some also have a full seiries of movements that always go together like the "four corners" (I have no idea what the real name is) and usually if you do the turn in one direction you will then do it again in the other direction.

Fusion
    This is my preference and as you can imagine it includes traditional music, spanish, African, Pop, Electronic, Metal, Jazz, etc. I guess the founder would have to be Souhailia Salimpour.other leaders in this are Rachel Brice and her troupe, The Indigo. Jane Archer, Zoe Jakes, Ansuya, Mardi Love, Kami Liddle, Kami Vance. Can also include props such as fire fans poi or spinning fire. Full vocab of movements and expressions. Sub categories I can think of: Goth, Hip Hop, Liquid, Bollywood, Jazz, African. some are more dance vocabulary that makes them that category and some are more the music or look and feel that distinguishes them from the other.

There's also sword dances and I think I have seen them in all catagories.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    OKAY I have reformatted this so hopefully it will make more sense now. What a freakin mess!

there are about as many styles as you can think of, and hopefully others will chime in on any corrections to my lexicon. So I will give you 3 main categories with sub categories in just about all of them.

Cabaret
    Egyptian (spangly, bigger movements This is the biggest movement
    traditional music, some drama but mostly flirty. Traditional dance is kind of long and includes a fast section where dancer dance that enters veiled, slow section loosing the veil, fast section with lots of joi de verve, slow section that includes floor work and a finalfast section that includes the drum solo and ends with a moderate tempo wherein the dancer exits.
    Aziza and Jillina are 2 dancers in this category. I think they also both do Turkish as well as Egyptian

Turkish similar in dress modes but can go more toward folkloric. Oh and it can include props such as as cane and candelabra. includes 9/8 time signature which sounds a lot like a galloping horse. Can also include gypsy.

both of these main styles include the use of zills or finger cymbals.

Greek which is much like Egyptian but doesn't use zills. I don't know much else about it.

American Tribal (ATS)
    Created by Carolena Nericcio of the troupe Fat Chance Belly Dance in San Francisco.
    Lots of troupes, but the only other one I know of is Gypsy Caravan out of Portland, OR. Most movements are tighter. includes traditional music,I think I've seen them incorporate other ethnic music like African and Spanish. The movements are tighter, facial expressions more toward haughty,queen-like or warrior-like. Clothing is less spangly jewelry is chunky. It is all improv led in turns by the dancers using cues. There are also fusion versions of this that expand on the ats vocabulary and music and can include some choreo. A technique that makes this easier than it sounds is that everything is done first to the left/right and then to the right/left. So if you watch the leader and do a movement in one direction, you don't have to look at her to know the next move is the same in the other direction. Some also have a full seiries of movements that always go together like the "four corners" (I have no idea what the real name is) and usually if you do the turn in one direction you will then do it again in the other direction.

Fusion
    This is my preference and as you can imagine it includes traditional music, spanish, African, Pop, Electronic, Metal, Jazz, etc. I guess the founder would have to be Souhailia Salimpour.other leaders in this are Rachel Brice and her troupe, The Indigo. Jane Archer, Zoe Jakes, Ansuya, Mardi Love, Kami Liddle, Kami Vance. Can also include props such as fire fans poi or spinning fire. Full vocab of movements and expressions. Sub categories I can think of: Goth, Hip Hop, Liquid, Bollywood, Jazz, African. some are more dance vocabulary that makes them that category and some are more the music or look and feel that distinguishes them from the other.

There's also sword dances and I think I have seen them in all catagories.
    that made way more sense lol thx
  • irridia
    Options
    np, sorry about the first one. That's what happens when you post while working. :blushing: