Feeling FAT

Options
Today is a bad self image day for me. I'm not even sure why. I looked in the mirror this morning, and hated what I was looking at. No matter how much weight I lose, i think i will always struggle with this. I'm working very hard to overcome my mental issues...and I can say I love myself more then I used too.......but today, I feel really fat and ugly.

I guess I wanted to write about it, to get it OUT of me. i think it's because i was watching the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders training camp show and all these girls were so skinny and pretty. I know that I can't compare myself to them...but I'm a women and that's what we do. that's what I DO.

Do you guys do this? What tricks do you use to stop? I'm trying to hard to overcome my 'negitivity' when it comes to my self image. It's just hard sometimes.

Replies

• BrandyRelaxing
    BrandyRelaxing Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I find wearing clothes that fit well make me feel skinny, which then helps me feel happier about myself. I also remind myself that I'm amazing, ignoring what my weight is! I remind myself of all of my accomplishments and things I'm so happy about in my life. I try to remember that life isn't just about losing weight, but I'm so much more than that (which is hard when it's consuming a ton of my time and energy).

Dawn - you're amazing. You know that! You just are having a day where you're letting others accomplishments at weighing 100 pounds and doing cartwheels, make you forget how the scale does not measure success, and that you are amazing!
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    You have lost a fantastic amount of weight and I completely get how you are feeling. We all have days like that. And I agree, putting on clothes that fit well and make you feel great is the best way around this. I have the same problem a lot. It seems to take a long time for our mental self to catch up with new physical self. I said to a colleague a few weeks ago that I wouldn't be doing the adventure activities when we took the girls at school away on a trip because of my size. She scoffed at me and proceeded to tell me I really needed to work on my self - image. Sigh, I wish it was that easy.

Create side by photos of yourself to show just how far you have come.
  • mistylynnfoster
    mistylynnfoster Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I definitely do this all the time. I am worse about comparing myself to real women that I actually know. Because they always seem to eat twice as much as I do, never count a calorie, never exercise, and be half the size of me (or less).

With models and actresses remember these things:

- They are PAID to stay thin and beautiful. They do not have real day jobs like you and I do.
    - Models actually chomp on ice cubes or crushed ice regularly, to get the sensation of eating and chewing without the calories. Many of them starve themselves.
    - Rich people have the luxury of daily personal trainer sessions (even personal chefs, if they are rich enough).
    - Genetics, unfortunately, also play a major role. Some of us just carry genes that we have to overcome, rather than genes that help us.

I am like you, and I think that I will always have to check my self-talk and self-image constantly. When I was a freshman in college, I lost 30 lbs and I was the thinnest I had ever been. I remember back then thinking that I was still such a cow! Looking at pictures from those days, I just get so disappointed that I was so hard on myself at the time. Because NOW, I think that I looked amazing and would kill to be that size again right now!! I just hope that when I get back there again, I will love the woman that I have become and appreciate how far I've come instead of focusing on how far I have to go. The same goes for right now. I have lost 60 lbs which is A LOT of weight. And most people are just amazed to hear that. Yet, instead of celebrating the victories, I almost always focus on the negative and think about the 180 lbs. that I still have to lose....