Non-processed opt for mid-run snacks

Options
Pebble321
Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
I'm training for a half marathon in Feb and am looking for ideas of something to eat on the run that will give me energy but isn't super processed. My time is going to be around 2:30 and it is in mid summer (in Australia) so I think I'm going to need to work on drinks and snacks to keep me hydrated and fueled up.

I've tried a gel (yuk!) and some gummy sport chews (even yukkier), jelly beans and sultanas (raisins).
The jelly beans were ok to give me a sugar hit, the sultanas not too bad but didn't sit too well in my stomach - any other good ideas for less processed options? I remember reading a suggest of chocolate covered coffee beans which sounds lilke a fabulous idea but it will probably be to hot to carry anything like that, it would be a puddle of chocolate in no time...... mmmm, puddle of chocolate....

(title should read "option" - iPad is autocorrecting!)

Replies

• gentsevetzak
    gentsevetzak Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Nuts would be a good option.
  • girlontherun5
    girlontherun5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've run with raw almonds and pretzels, also 1/2 a banana...just can mean you're carrying around a bit of stuff :) My running buddies used to tease me that I was taking a buffet along with me. The puddle of chocolate sounds nice :) But for me, I can't have caffeine while I'm running, it doesn't sit well. One of my friends really likes marshmallows. Experiment during your training runs and see what you like and what works for you...best of luck!
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    bump
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I used dried apple slices, raisins, and dried cranberries.
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I just found this product called a "stinger waffle" it's organic and endorsed by Lance Armstrong... tastes kinda like a cookie. I'm definitely going to be integrating more of them into my marathon training.

And I simply cannot stand the texture of Gu. Might as well be called glue.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Pebble321
    Options
    Hi all, thanks for your ideas, I think I'll tray out some nuts - in spite of eating them as everyday snacks I hadn't thought of taking them on runs, I was focussing more on sugary stuff but I like the idea of nuts.
    I might try a kind of trail mix with some cashews, sultanas and apricot squares and see how that goes.
    I've got a 10 mile run scheduled for Saturday and it's 36c today - I'm really hoping it gets cooler by Saturday - or I will have to get up REALLY early to beat the heat!
  • 321blueeyes
    321blueeyes Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Boiled & salted potatoes are the BEST!!! I find red potatoes stay a bit more firm than Russet potatoes. Just boil, cool, cut into bite-sized pieces, add some salt (it will stick). Everyone I've ever showed this trick to LOVES IT! Don't be afraid to salt liberally - it tastes so good during a long run!

Big favorite in the trail running & ultra crowd... others include peanut butter-filled pretzels, peanut butter & jelly sandwiches, and (flat) Pepsi.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I use apple sauce pouches like these: http://www.amazon.com/GoGo-SqueeZ-Strawberry-Applesauce-3-2-Ounce/dp/B002E0KW0M . They have the convienence of gels with out all the processed stuff in it.
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I think I may try nuts or salted potatoes...just concerned about them getting squashed!
  • mandy_lynn
    mandy_lynn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have heard that frozen grapes work well. I haven't tried anything yet, but I'm just getting into the higher mile runs where I feel I need something.
  • 321blueeyes
    321blueeyes Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I think I may try nuts or salted potatoes...just concerned about them getting squashed!

Red potatoes seem to be a bit better for this IMO - just don't overcook and you will be fine. you can leave the skins on or peel them off. Just be sure to boil them (in skin) the night before so that they cool all the way before you chop them into bite-sized pieces and bag them up.
  • Pebble321
    Options
    Huh, potatoes - that's a great idea, I'm going to try that next weekend.
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    bump
  • spurradic
    spurradic Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    i know people who use a whole or half of a peanut butter sandwich during their long runs. i know there are more "natural" options for peanut butter these days
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I've was looking for some less-chemical, more organic and wheat-free options when I came across this thread last week. I put a lot of the recommendations to the test for this week's runs. Everyone here is so awesome about sharing their ideas that I thought I'd share my experience too. I did two 4.5 mile, one 5 mile and one 6 mile run this week, and snacking at the 35 minute point for each.

Whole food:
    Banana chips - Crunchy and easier (and more pleasant) to suck on rather than chew. I like these, but I'll try plaintain chips (saltier) next. I might also try out dried mango or papaya just for kicks.

Potato cubes - (321blueeyes' idea) SO GOOD. I made 2 batches (1 potato cut in half), one with more salt than I thought I'd like, and put them in 2 baggies. The oversalted ones were the best. I think they absorb the salt as they sit overnight. I sucked all the salt off them chewed the potato. They stayed moist in the center and I didn't need to wash them down with water.

Store-Bought & Processed:
    Clif Roks - lots of whole foods, not a lot of chemical ingredients but definitely not "minimally processed." Lots of protein & sugar. They're dry and you have to drink a lot of water with them. I like them better post run than mid-run.

Clif Shot Bloks - Sweetened with organics brown rice syrup and cane juice, definitely a better choice ingredient-wise than Gu Chomps which are full of chemicals. The tropical punch flavor tastes like Kool Aid and reminded me of summers from my childhood. :) They were a little big and tough to chew. Also, a "serving" is 3 blocks and they come in a packet of 6, about the size of a packet of Starburst, which presented storage problems for both the unopened package and after eating 3 of the 6 bloks. Chewy and needed water.

Honey Stinger Organic Energy Chews - these were my favorite and I'll probably use them regularly. Gluten-free, 100% organic and sweetened with tapioca syrup and honey. The pink lemonade is not too sweet and the texture is perfect. The package has about 10 dime-size chews (1/2 inch thick) and is perfect size for my back zip pocket. I opened the package before I started my 6 mile and then reached in and grabbed a couple chews around miles 3 and 5. I did not need to stop for extra water. I love these.

That's it. I have Sport Beans to try for Sunday's 6 mile. Thanks for the tips!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I have half a banana before the run, and on a long run take some homemade trail mix with me. Dried fruit and nuts, maybe chocolate chips, and if I feel like it, some Stinger or Sharkie chews.

Pam
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I use apple sauce pouches like these: http://www.amazon.com/GoGo-SqueeZ-Strawberry-Applesauce-3-2-Ounce/dp/B002E0KW0M . They have the convienence of gels with out all the processed stuff in it.

You beauty! Im trying this one. Might try potatoes too, how curious. I generally just take chocolate and haribo!
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    bump
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    You need simple carbs to fuel your runs - It's absorbed quickly and your muscles under duress just suck it up to use it for fuel. Fats and proteins, especially ones that are solid, are not ideal for long run fuel. They take a while to work into your system and they require more energy to digest. If you need fuel on your run, straight up simple carbs are the way to go.

Frozen grapes, brilliant idea. I would have never thought of it but if you can stomach it and they thaw a bit while you're running... Sounds good to me!

Another good one is dates - 3-6 dates in a little pouch works just as well as any gel or gummy. Straight shot of delicious sugary carbohydrate.

Or make your own gels - Use the google. The main ingredient is brown rice syrup so if you can get your hands on that, you should be set.

Good luck.