Local Faves

Options
Well, since this is regional, let's talk about what you like about your little piece of where you live here in the PNW (or where you used to live, or where you want to live, or whatever). It could be a favorite spot, a favorite activity, a favorite restaurant, a favorite event, whatever--just something that you're excited to tell other people about when they come through your area.

I've only been in Spokane for a year (moved from Montana), so I have a bit of an "outsider" perspective. As events go, I have to say Bloomsday is my favorite community event. What can be more fun than running 12k with 50,000 of your closest friends? Bonus: when you get to the top of "Doomsday Hill," a giant 10-foot buzzard is there to greet you. Why? Because he can.
12411964_BG1.jpg
3512008964_0b9474fd0b.jpg

I'm also drawn to the odd, out of the way, and inane. As such, I'm kind of a fan of the Milk Bottle restaurant here in Spokane, which is a hamburger joint shaped like a giant milk bottle. Used to be a dairy, I'm told. Recently had a fire, but I believe it's going to be back up and running.
4424024740_da8e2eb9c9.jpg

In Riverfront Park, which is really quite nice, people seem to like the Sky Ride, the Carousel, the Red Wagon and such. I, myself, am kinda partial to the garbage eating goat sculpture. Got a piece of trash? Punch the button behind the goat, hold your trash up to his mouth, and watch the trash get sucked up by the goat. Okay, so it's just a vacuum, and I really wish the goat made munching sounds or some such, but hey. It was designed in 1974, for the World's Fair. And I just think it's fun that someone dreamed up. A Statue. That Eats Garbage.
2874993343_c25d2c02b8.jpg

Replies

• phocid
    phocid Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Many people who come to visit Portland do the obligatory Multnomah Falls trip out to the Gorge. Of course it's beautiful, but there is something a little lacking when you arrive to find busloads of tour groups there taking rolls and rolls of film. Wow - I just realized that's a completely dated reference.

I like to send people on one of my favorite hikes in the Gorge - Latourel Falls. It's a 2+ mile loop. It's a bit closer than Multnomah Falls. And it's spectacular. There is generally more uphill than I like, but something about knowing that the whole loop is only 2 miles keeps me pushing forward and upward. Besides, the ability to enjoy some pancakes before or after a hike like this makes it all worth it!

l.jpg
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    well obviously, one of the best Portland-famous places is Voodoo doughnuts!!! Anyone else see the shout out to Voodoo on the last episode of "Grimm" ?
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,611 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite things about living in Pacific Northwest is our annual trip to Orcas Island. I used to entertain the idea of trying to retire there some day, but I'm not sure it would seem as special if we were there 24/7.
  • WillieEverlearn
    WillieEverlearn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    @Jennloella - I must admit I've never been to Voodoo. But I've always coveted their maple bacon donut--next time I'm in PDX, I'm there for sure.

@ PJilly - I was on Orcas Island this summer for...mmm...four nights I think. Stayed at the appropriately-named "Inn on Orcas Island" bed and breakfast. Had a blueberry bread pudding for breakfast one day that may be one of the most divine things I've eaten.

@ phocid - Did the Multnomah Falls (and the whole falls drive) many years ago. Hiked to the overlook at the top and loved it. I'll need to check out your suggested falls.
  • dbw1976
    dbw1976 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    @Jennloella - I must admit I've never been to Voodoo. But I've always coveted their maple bacon donut--next time I'm in PDX, I'm there for sure.

Oh yeah, maple bacon bars from Voodoo donuts are great! Good thing I live 200+ miles from Portland.
  • miracleminded1
    Options
    Yes, I totally saw the Voodoo Donuts!! :)

My daughters and I have gone there several times. I have a friend from California that everytime he visits I have tried to get him there, but something always happens to prevent it, or we run out of time. They were closed for remodelling once when we went.... And as he was needing to catch the bus back to Cali, there wasn't time to run to the other location on the east side.

:(

mmm...bacon....
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Any hike in the olympics!!! Went to the top of Mt Townsend this summer and wow, what a feelling!!!! and totally worth the mileage on my feet.

a shout out to the WTA (Washington Trails Association) if your looking for hike ideas with descriptions mileage directions etc they have a GREAT resource online for free. If you love it think about donating, $40 gets you a yearly membership that comes with a magazine subscription all about our awesome state :) www.wta.org

okay infomercial complete :)
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    well obviously, one of the best Portland-famous places is Voodoo doughnuts!!! Anyone else see the shout out to Voodoo on the last episode of "Grimm" ?

OMG YES!!! :) I was so excited.

My favorite places in the PNW:

Bob's Java Jive here in Tacoma- Divey little bar that serves just beer and wine. The interior looks like Grandma's attic on acid. It's one of my favorite places on the planet. The bartender is one of my dearest friends, it's where I met my bf 10 years ago as drunken college students (It only took us 8 years to figure out we should be together and an additional 1 for him to pull his head out of his *kitten*)

_BobsJavaJive_exteriorsunset.jpg

Point Defiance- running 5 mile drive, dinking around at the zoo, hanging out at Owen's Beach, kayaking the point... doesn't matter. I love the place

And a shout out to the fam: I love Lake Quinault. My family owns a little restaurant in Amanda Park (the internet cafe) and I love spending time up there playing out at Klalaloch, fishing with my cousins on Lake Quinault, hiking the trails etc... If you're ever out there in the summer stop at the internet cafe in Amanda Park and get your greasy spoon fix. :) My aunt makes a mean latte'.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    it's where I met my bf 10 years ago as drunken college students (It only took us 8 years to figure out we should be together and an additional 1 for him to pull his head out of his *kitten*)

:laugh: :laugh:
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything specific about Spokane that I love. I just love being in the NW - within hours of the mountains, oceans, and the most beautiful scenery in the country (in my opinion).
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I like the beautiful columbia Georga, enjoy hiking there.
    Beacon Rock is awsome, I don't have to be mountain climber and I can still go up high.
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything specific about Spokane that I love. I just love being in the NW - within hours of the mountains, oceans, and the most beautiful scenery in the country (in my opinion).

Agree with you about living in the PNW - "within hours of the mountains, oceans, and the most beautiful scenery in the country!" So true!
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    Now I am really excited to get up there! I am originally (pre-army) from the panhandle of Texas, hiking the plains is just not the same! I can't wait to have beautiful places to hike!
  • divainme
    divainme Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It is beautiful country. After 12 years on the prairies I can say coming back to BCs green lush growing nature is about the best thing. Coming in a close second are the vast number of beaches to visit all year round. Third is the urban culture and vastly different neighbourhoods. I am looking forward to boating around the gulf Islands next summer, I'm sure that will top the list next year.

All together it almost makes up for all the rain and how much more expensive it is here in Vancouver BC. There are somethings about Prairie life that are better too.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options

Point Defiance- running 5 mile drive, dinking around at the zoo, hanging out at Owen's Beach, kayaking the point... doesn't matter. I love the place

Pt. Defiance is one of my favorite places in the whole world - it's so pretty and so much to do! I am actually donig the 5 Mile Drive Thanksgiving morning - should be cold, rainy and beautiful!
  • shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    If you like hiking and love some beautiful waterfalls, then I would say go to Silver Creek Falls. Just outside of Silverton Or. I also love the Octoberfest in Mt. Angel (where I grew up). Now that I live in the beautiful Rogue Valley, there are so many fun things to do, that I can't pick a favorite. We like to camp and fish at Lake of the Woods, Willow Lake and a few spots along the Rogue River. Jacksonville is fun to visit any time with the little shops, and lots of ghost stories. White City (where I currently live) has a wonderful military museum!! Come check out Southern Oregon if you get a chance!!
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I've heard this waterfall is amazing, but we haven't made it there yet. My husband's family is in Woodburn - they have a family picnic every year in Mt. Angel at the Park. Maybe we'll get there this year.
  • VeggieKelli
    VeggieKelli Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    The Olympic National Forest-- too many awesome hikes, hot springs, camping, etc. I was partially raised in Port Angeles, so it really resonates with me!
    Powell's-- I love reading and learning, and it's a nice leg workout depending on how long you are there and which floor you end up on!
    Burgerville-- okay, I'm vegan but love that Burgerville is health conscious, earth conscious, and just freakin' awesome!
    Portland Saturday Market- so huge, so many awesome local artists/crafters!
    Lewisville State Park (it's really close to where I grew up near Battle Ground, Wa) perfect place for long walks, sunbathing, swimming in the river, photoshooting (I'm a photographer), running, tennis courts, etc. It's beautiful!

Last but not least, I spend far too much time when I'm home at SweetPea vegan bakery and FoodFight! vegan grocery (both at the vegan mini-mall 12th & Stark Portland Oregon).
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Last but not least, I spend far too much time when I'm home at SweetPea vegan bakery and FoodFight! vegan grocery (both at the vegan mini-mall 12th & Stark Portland Oregon).
    I really need to get down to Portland again and check out all their awesome vegan-friendly places!
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Well, since this is regional, let's talk about what you like about your little piece of where you live here in the PNW (or where you used to live, or where you want to live, or whatever). It could be a favorite spot, a favorite activity, a favorite restaurant, a favorite event, whatever--just something that you're excited to tell other people about when they come through your area.

I've only been in Spokane for a year (moved from Montana), so I have a bit of an "outsider" perspective. As events go, I have to say Bloomsday is my favorite community event. What can be more fun than running 12k with 50,000 of your closest friends? Bonus: when you get to the top of "Doomsday Hill," a giant 10-foot buzzard is there to greet you. Why? Because he can.
    12411964_BG1.jpg
    3512008964_0b9474fd0b.jpg

I'm also drawn to the odd, out of the way, and inane. As such, I'm kind of a fan of the Milk Bottle restaurant here in Spokane, which is a hamburger joint shaped like a giant milk bottle. Used to be a dairy, I'm told. Recently had a fire, but I believe it's going to be back up and running.
    4424024740_da8e2eb9c9.jpg

In Riverfront Park, which is really quite nice, people seem to like the Sky Ride, the Carousel, the Red Wagon and such. I, myself, am kinda partial to the garbage eating goat sculpture. Got a piece of trash? Punch the button behind the goat, hold your trash up to his mouth, and watch the trash get sucked up by the goat. Okay, so it's just a vacuum, and I really wish the goat made munching sounds or some such, but hey. It was designed in 1974, for the World's Fair. And I just think it's fun that someone dreamed up. A Statue. That Eats Garbage.
    2874993343_c25d2c02b8.jpg
    I LOVE all of those things about Spokane!!! I love the Santa that comes through my neighborhood handing out candy canes on a truck with fire trucks leading the way, I love canoeing down the river, seeing a moose in my backyard one year, that it stays light up hear till 10 o'clock in the summer, I LOVE the snow, Hoopfest, all the wonderful parks/trails all within Spokane, Manito Park, & Green Bluff in the fall!!!!!!!! What can I say, I love it here!