Balance?

Options
Hey folks - I'm writing a paranormal romance and am about halfway through. Will not admit here how many pages I've vomited out; suffice to say that I'll be editing heavily once the draft is done.

Here's my question for the peanut gallery: How do you prioritize writing and exercise? Given that both activities require consistency and you know there's this pesky thing called Life that keeps interfering with the best-laid plans, how do you make the decision on what to do and stick to it? Do you find yourself gravitating to the exercise because the writing is hard? I do.

Anyway, just wanted to start this conversation and see where it goes (if anywhere).

Hope everyone's have a good day. Even for Monday.

~Andi

Replies

• divainme
    divainme Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If you find an answer please let me know.... Between work, kids, house, hubby, food, exercise, and sleep I can't find time to finish writing what I've started let alone editing.
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    It really takes some work to find a balance. I haven't yet. :bigsmile: I do a lot of writing for my clients. So, for me, finding the time to work on my own projects is my biggest issue. Many times when I have a block of time I just want to chill. I've worked, exercised, cooked, cleaned, etc and just watching some mindless show takes over.
  • Pandahead
    Pandahead Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    This is a good question. I tend to do best when I exercise in the morning and write in the evenings.
    My brain can't handle writing in the mornings, but the body can handle exercise, and vice versa in the evenings. I still have a couple kids who aren't school-aged yet, so I have them underfoot during the day.

I mostly follow the "do what I can" rule. I'd love to have several uninterrupted hours during the day for both writing and exercise, but that's not going to happen until my youngest is in kindergarten--in three years. I'm not waiting three years to write or to lose this weight, so I've got to squeeze in what I can in my limited free time.
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Skinny_Mocha Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I actually like to exercise as part of the writing process. If I'm writing and I get stuck, I put on headphones and dance until it frees up the gunk in my head. :)
  • Pandahead
    Pandahead Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I tend to be evil to myself. 1 minute of exercise = 1 minute of writing time. It motivates me to "earn" more time at my writing desk.

Ha ha! I love it. I think I have to do the opposite though. Lately, I've been procrastinating my writing.
  • debalina36
    debalina36 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I exercise at the Y so I do that 3 times a week on Mon, Tues, Wed or Fri. I will write for an hour or so during the week, but my biggest writing day is Sunday afternoon. I am starting my screenwriting class on Thursday's in 2 weeks so that will keep me motivated too. I am currently working on 2 scripts. One that I created in class and one a rewrite of an idea a friend of mine had. That one we want to start filming in the spring. We still need funding but I know a place that can help. :glasses:
  • renkath
    renkath Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am new to my fitnesspal, but have been on Daily Mile for over a year. This past year I ran my first marathon, completed my PhD in Creative Writing and published my 4th poetry collection (17th book or so). And then I crashed and burned in October. I work full-time as a theater arts teacher and was on sick leave a week. Now in an attempt to find *balance*, I have adjusted my work schedule to begin teaching at 9 - which means I can run/work out for an hour in the morning, then write for another hour before the school day begins.

I am looking for some support in making this transition and finding new goals (holistic) - and can offer support in return.
  • lovenhppnss
    lovenhppnss Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I am looking for some support in making this transition and finding new goals (holistic) - and can offer support in return.

What do you mean, holistic goals?
  • lovenhppnss
    lovenhppnss Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I run a nonprofit and teach at a community college AND am working on a book with my partner. Three to four days each week I'm out of the house at 7 am and not back until 10pm. Its not much better on the remaining days. I continually struggle to find balance and time to take care of myself.:ohwell:
  • renkath
    renkath Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Not as in homeopathy - just taking into consideration that I want a healthy body and mind, not ripped muscles and a high-strung personality ;)
  • itshightime
    Options
    What balance? When I am really seriously writing, I forget just about everything else except raiding the fridge to reward myself now and again. My kids talking me into a wii fit plus was the first effort EVER in my life to work out more or less daily---and I'm 71 so we're talking decades of wretched habits here. I am trying to make that workout as effortless as sitting down and playing with words 24x7. Lotsa luck sometimes, but I'm trying.