Dying With Dignity

Options
daffodilsoup
daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
Inspired by the "Liberals Against Abortion" thread. Euthanasia - is it right or wrong? Discuss.

Replies

• VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I think that if they ask for it then I'm ok with it, if they are unable to ask for it then I am against it. If you pull the plug on life support and they are still holding on then there is s still a chance for servival and recovery.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    When I can no longer take care of myself, I would rather take my own life than drain my families finances and saddle my girls with becoming wet nurses.

I am only 57 and hope I live to be 100. But it has to be a vibrant, healthy 100. If I was diagnosed with something that would cut my life short tomorrow, I am okay to go.

Everyone in my family knows how I feel. They know I love them. I don't want their last memories of me to be in a diaper, drooling.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I think Euthanasia should be legal. I worked at a hospital and it was heartbreaking to hear people begging for death, while they are sitting there with tubes coming out of everywhere, in so much pain they have to be completely doped up, and you and they know their next step is death.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I'm pro-choice in this matter, too.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I think that people, when they sign up for insurance should have to fill out a form for what they want done with them when in a vegetative state. With it up in the air, it's so much stress for families to go through. It would be easier of it was on paper for everyone to see the patients wishes.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I think that people, when they sign up for insurance should have to fill out a form for what they want done with them when in a vegetative state. With it up in the air, it's so much stress for families to go through. It would be easier of it was on paper for everyone to see the patients wishes.

There is. It's called a Living Will.

A living will is a legal document that a person uses to make known his or her wishes regarding life prolonging medical treatments. It can also be referred to as an advance directive, health care directive, or a physician's directive. A living will should not be confused with a living trust, which is a mechanism for holding and distributing a person's assets to avoid probate. It is important to have a living will as it informs your health care providers and your family about your desires for medical treatment in the event you are not able to speak for yourself.
  • Grimmerick
    Options

A living will is a legal document that a person uses to make known his or her wishes regarding life prolonging medical treatments. It can also be referred to as an advance directive, health care directive, or a physician's directive. A living will should not be confused with a living trust, which is a mechanism for holding and distributing a person's assets to avoid probate. It is important to have a living will as it informs your health care providers and your family about your desires for medical treatment in the event you are not able to speak for yourself.

I think what he was saying was that they should HAVE to fill one out. It's not mandatory at this point.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

I think what he was saying was that they should HAVE to fill one out. It's not mandatory at this point.

To be honest, I wasn't sure about the living will since I'm sort of young and haven't thought about it much. I'm not sure if I believe a person should HAVE to do anything, but I think if you want to take a little stress of your family during an unbelievably tough time, this is something to consider. That way, it's mine and yours choice, they won't feel resentful or guilty or whatever feelings would naturally occur with such decisions.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Are living wills legally binding, though? I can say with some certainty that they're not in the UK, and the partners of some terminally ill patients who have helped them travel to Switzerland to end their lives voluntarily have been charged as accessories to manslaughter or similar.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    @ Adrian, Oh I just thought that you didn't know what it was called. I worked in a hospital so I've known what that was for a long time. I do think that a living will should have to be filled out with insurance. It's just a good idea, we HAVE to fill out so much other crap anyway might as well have this( which is an extemely good idea to save confusion, lawsuits and everything else later) be a mandatory part of all the paperwork you have to do anyway. It doesn't even have to be that long or in depth. Just give medical professionals and your family some idea of what you want. It's better for everyone and I don't really see any drawbacks to going ahead and getting it done.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Living wills do not allow euthenasia, they simply allow the pt to deny any invasive life prolonging treatment. BUut if you have terminal cancer you are not alloawed to end your life with assistance. I have a major problem with this being that I have worked hospice and both long term and short term care.Some of these people want to die and are simply incapable of doing it themselves.We should not make someone live especially in suffering and pain. It is not humane. Alot of medical problems which are completely debelitating do not have cures and barely have treatments. If they want to soldier through thats fine. But if they are tired and ready to end their burden and thier pain it should be a right.