Mince Pies

Options
elfy66
elfy66 Posts: 138 Member
Christmas is coming!! And I love a mice pie.

Does anyone have any good, healthy ideas for swaps?

Replies

• yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Is a Mince Pie healthy?

I love Baileys but was appalled to find out one bottle has like 4,000 calories in it (I've had a whole bottle a few times over the course of a day at Christmas due to my love for Baileys + Coffee!
  • Cloupe
    Cloupe Posts: 20
    Options
    I don't think mince pies could ever be healthy but u could try an open topped filo pastry mince pie if u didn't mind getting your hands dirty.... or get 2 vanilla muller light yogurts mix in some mince pie filling from a jar (2 tbsp at a guess) and freeeeeeeeeeeeeeze! oh and don't freeze it for more than 4 or so hrs because it becomes like ice!!!!
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    mince pie + rum butter = heaven

I dont care what cals they cost :P
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Oh, me too! And the Pret Crimble Crumble... Just trying to hold out until December 1st, and then keep to one or two a week, rather than one or two boxes a week...
  • SCC88
    SCC88 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I live and breathe for mince pies! I'm also a Christmas lover, I don't think there's a good alternative but I'll be having them anyway and worrying about the damage caused after LOL! Mmmmm mince pies and couvoisier cream :-D
    There's about 250kcals in a deep filled mince pie and about 230 in a iced top one. But following someone's suggestion I know Iceland sell mince pie filo pastry parcels as party food, they're to die for but not sure on the kcals - will be less tho xx
  • bigfluffyjujubird
    Options
    i would rather eat one enjoy them and then go for a walk or a run than give them up! some things can't be substituted.... om nom nom nom
  • elfy66
    elfy66 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll have a go at making some....see how I get on.
  • Andylee63
    Andylee63 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Christmas is such bliss to food lovers..
    And I am not a party pooper, but don't you think we become gluttens at Christmas?
    Yes I love mince pies...

Christmas, such a happy time and a time to go out and meet friends and get pissed..
    Over indulge at parties and stuff our faces with food..

But.....
    We look on the bright side of life don't we?
    We have a strict portion and calorie control and we know what we are putting in our mouths..
    We now know what empty calories are, and how hard we have to train to burn 1lb of fat..

So come on guys, lets eat drink and be merry..
    But in little portions eh lol

Does anyone know where I can get low calorie Jam and Lemon Curd... Love those tarts too..
    What is the best low fat Butter/Marge to use for pastry?

I can feel a baking session coming on tomorrow....
  • julespickles
    julespickles Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use veggie reduced fat suet in my mincemeat, and for pastry roll as thin as I can, but that's my only concession to healthiness when it comes to mincers :)

This year I've delayed making my mincemeat (doing it on Saturday) so it won't be ready to use until a week before Christmas, and I'll only make 1-2 batches of pies, instead of 2-3 a week from the start of December. The rest of the mincemeat can keep til next year. No compromise on the rum butter though, it's an essential, so I'll have to go to lots of extra aerobics to compensate!
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Oh, me too! And the Pret Crimble Crumble... Just trying to hold out until December 1st, and then keep to one or two a week, rather than one or two boxes a week...

They are the Devil's work, I could happily eat one every day! Managed to have only two so far this year though!
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options

They are the Devil's work, I could happily eat one every day! Managed to have only two so far this year though!

OMG......!!!! They are definitely the DEVIL's work....!
    I didn't know there were so many calories in those little things....!

No More...!!! :(

Oh... maybe one on Xmas day....!
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I had a Starbucks mince pie yesterday - a freebie with my coffee - and was disappointed. Too much pastry, too little mince - filled only halfway up the deep pastry cup. Do not waste your calories on this one. The pick of the bunch, in my opinion, are the St Clements' Mince Pies from Fortnum & Mason. Expensive, but worth every penny, and every calorie too!
  • Andylee63
    Options
    Got a party to go to tonight so baking some right now..
    Using low fat everything for mine, but full fat everything for everyone else..

Also making a Chocolate Roulade... With full fat whipped cream and 70% Cocoa and a full bar of Chocolate..
    I mean a big one...
    There is going to be loads of calories thrown around tonight, but lucky for me, I have my own low calorie treats..

Don't ya just love baking and knowing exactly what is going in your food...
    Having a good burn session before I go out though, and will have a good burn session in the morning..
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Had my first mince pie of the season the other day, and enjoyed every calorific crumb of it! :bigsmile:
  • Andylee63
    Options
    Had my first mince pie of the season the other day, and enjoyed every calorific crumb of it! :bigsmile:

LOL:laugh:
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Mince Pie straight out of the oven with lashings of custard... or a scoop of Carte d'Or Vanilla on the side :tongue:

Thankfully, I don't really crave them nor anything like that at the moment... methinks I've kicked my sugar habit :bigsmile:
  • AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I made these last week as a test for Christmas......they are amazing, everyone went nuts for them! I made the pastry too thick though so make sure you roll it out quite thin. If you make mini ones they aren't too bad calorie wise. I made them in a mini muffin tin....but one or two really good mince pies at Christmas wont hurt........?

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/6289/mince-pies-with-orange-and-cinnamon-pastry.aspx
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Its christmas, everyone should be able to fit one a day into their calories just to feel good!
  • SkyPixie
    SkyPixie Posts: 224
    Options
    Tescos Finest Mini Mince Pies only 90 cals each :happy:
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Tescos Finest Mini Mince Pies only 90 cals each :happy:

REALLY.....!!!
    I'm going to check this out....

Edit....
    Don't where you got this info from, but just checked online and they're 255 calories....!