Preparing for Thanksgiving!

This will be my first Thanksgiving with the Band. After fighting with the need to Carb load heading into winter, the next challenge will be to over come the Pies of the holiday. I have talked to my wife about what I feel I cannot eat. She has made some great suggestions about dropping the high calorie stuff like Green Bean Casarole. What is your plan?

Replies

• I remember my first Thanksgiving after having GBS! I was so nervous, so I just went with the rules, PROTEIN first, so had a small amount of Turkey, then green beans, small tablespoon of mashed potatoes, that's it and I survived. Now over 2 years, it can sometime be a hit or miss. But always keep, protein first in mind and do the best I can with the rest!!
  • I did pretty well, except when the pie showed up! That is the stff that kills me...I did go to thr gym 4 times this week.
  • I just joined today, so I am a little late to post on this thread, but here is what i did.

I bought some great colorful miniature dutch ovens from Home Goods--each holds 1-1.5 cups of food and costs $2.99/each.

i am no cook--but, I managed to put together a low fat green bean casserole, a sugar-free sweet potato casserole, sugar-free cranberry sauce, and a spinach marie that rivaled the high calorie versions and they were so cute in the festive new cookware. i got some of the recipes from Bariatric Eating.com

Because i eat so little, the small dishes lasted me for several meals and i did not feel the least bit deprived as my food actually looked better that much of what the rest of my family was eating.

I also made a sugar-free Gingerbread cake with a fat free cream cheese sauce drizzled over it.

None of this was difficult or very time consuming and many of the ingredients i had on hand.

Just make the holidays fun and festive--don't allow yourself to feel deprived.
  • Thanks for your suggestion, That is a great idea. I have been reading about using cupcake tins with the same portion control. Keep the suggestions coming.