Tips for flare-ups

Options
teachfl2
teachfl2 Posts: 95 Member
So we know that there are a ton of tips floating around out there- some work for some, and not for others. So if you have any tips or things that have worked for you please share them!

- sometimes I find a digestive enzyme works before meals- other times it just leads to more gas
- food allergy test- if you have not had a food allergy test you may want to consider it- I recently had the Alcat food allergy test and found that I have severe intolerances to cumin and pork. I also have alot of moderate and mild intolerances too.
- keep a food diary and log when you have symptoms (sometimes easier said than done!)
- eat smaller portion sizes- especially if you suspect delayed stomach emptying
- peppermint works well at times for upsets
- I've noticed that I cannot have anything with fructose or sucrose, or anything sugar-free
- chew slower
- drink lots of water
- certain vegtables fill me up with gas! Also certain fruits too. Listen to your body!!

Replies

• djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    As a child, I had diarrhea on a daily basis for years, no joke. Now, as an adult, I have chronic constipation no matter how much fiber and water I consume. I went on a raw food diet after not "going" for 10 days and using a laxative. For the first 3 months of raw eating I was totally regular, life was great.

Well, now my body is back to being uncooperative. Luckily, it is not to the same extent it was before (I have a movement at least every 2 days), but I want to go back to having bowel movements daily.

Anyways, I did find some relief through my diet. Which is mainly raw foods and no processed foods at all. Any other suggestions would be great. I do not like fiber supplements because I get plenty of fiber already and they just make me gassy and actually cause worse constipation sometimes. Thanks guys!
  • amyB27
    amyB27 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I find that if I stay away from fresh baked sweets soon before my period it eases flare ups related to my period.
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    To add to your already great list of tips...

I find a heating pad is great for me when I'm having a particularly painful day. I have one that I put in the microwave and I use it just like I would for menstrual cramps.

And you mentioned peppermint-- mini-altoids are great for me after a meal but peppermint tea gives me wicked reflux, so be careful!
  • amyB27
    amyB27 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Oh another thing that helps me with mild pain is laying in the floor on my stomach. Just enough pressure I suppose. For gas related problems from IBS I also lay on my back & pull my knees snuggly into my chest for a couple minutes. Sometimes even rocking in this position. Hope this helps.
  • JessicaEPope
    JessicaEPope Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Peppermint tea can help my stomach settle sometimes, as well as obviously avoiding the foods you know make you flare up.

Drinking lots of water can help me generally feel more well, as well as a bit of exercise.

I have some kolanticon gel from the doctor but i think you can buy ti over the counter, which can sometimes help me with my bloating. I've tried a few different pills from the doctor (one which made me more ill!) without much luck, and even got given some antidepressants but didn't want to take them. I've changed my diet quite a bit to try and help but as you all know even when you eat foods that are fine for you and your body 99% of the time, sometimes you just get ill anyway haha.

My main problem is stress related, I tend to stress quite a lot and can tell the difference between stressful and non stressful times in direct relation to my IBS. Should probably learn to deal with my stress a bit more, and see if it helps.

Wish i had some good tips for anyone reading this! I'll be checking on here a lot, to see if theres anything that might help!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    YES - Peppermint. Back when I had really bad episodes I would eat nearly a box of altoids a day to stay "stable."
  • Cr0wned_Dynam0
    Options
    For me I have to really watch consumption of artificial sugars, those sugar free candies are brutal on my intestinal track, HORRIBLE cramping for sure. I also try my best to avoid, ground red meat, most types of sausage, fried foods, cheeses, most dairy, especially high fat varieties, eggs if they are not scrambled, chinese food. I feel that a lot of the time my anxiety will trigger symptoms, so it's a balancing act for sure. After spending a year in a clinical trial, I was able to identify most of my trigger foods, but it seems to change. I think sometimes it may not be one thing but the combination in which you ate it. It's been over a year since my trial ended, and sometimes I wonder how I survived before, my dietary changes have significantly reduced my episodes.
  • earlgreygirl09
    Options
    I ALWAYS keep ginger chews/peppermints on hand! They really have saved me in a pinch!