SHARE YOUR SUCCESSFUL TIPS IN YOUR WEIGHT LOSS EXPERIENCE!

Options
Please share any and all of your success tips and tricks from your journey... Even the downfalls that have maybe set you back at times... Want to hear it all!

Replies

• kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    My tips...

-Drink lots of water
    -Eat everything in moderation - if I say I'm not eating chocolate, I'll crave it even more...
  • cycle_queen
    cycle_queen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My tips:
    1) Bring water with me on the go
    2) Meal planning in advance
    3) Sweat once a day
    4) Keep exercise interesting
    5) Throw in some HIIT cardio!
  • Careygirl1968
    Careygirl1968 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    When dining with friends, and someone has a particularly tempting dish to share, I will have a bite, but I take the next to the last bite - that way I'm not tempted to eat too much, because it's gone!
  • Buzzingaa
    Options
    I always have either a water bottle with me that im sipping on or a big glass of iced tea. It really helps to curb my appitite ecspecially when i have eaten all of my calories for the day.

the down side is im constantly having to go pee...lol..but my kidneys have to be in awesome shape!!!

\m/
  • miracle1018
    Options
    My husband and I keep our measuring cups on a cup tree on the counter and our scale as well. That way if we are interested in having something to eat it reminds us we have to keep our portion control in check. Becca
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Eat your macros.
    Take Fish/Flax pills.
    Eat above BMR but below maintenance.
    Eat your weight in protein! (LBM pref)
    Have a cheat day or weekend because your metabolism will love you for it!

Better bodies are made in:
    The Kitchen
    The Bed
    The Gym

In that order!
    Hugs!
  • bexominglex
    bexominglex Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My tips:

1. Water juice down (50% juice, 50% water). You get used to it after a while.
    2. Eat veggies and dip instead of chips and dip. Dry veggies and hummus and veggies and salsa, or make your own dip with fat free sour cream.
    3. Try chia seeds.
    4. Eat before you grocery shop so you don't buy whatever looks good and try to stick to a list.
    5. Try to make 50% or more of your diet raw veggies and fruit (or lightly steamed).
    6. Teach yourself to make healthy stir fry and curries.
    7. Keep a journal of everything you eat and the price. Fast food is NOT a good deal, even if it seems "convenient".
    8. Use smaller bowls, spoons, forks, glasses... to slow down how fast you eat.
    9. Avoid buffets and all you can eat restaraunt specials.
    10. Try to identify why you aren't exercising more. If it's lack of time, try structuring your ay and count small moments as oppurtunities 9take stairs instead of elevator, etc). If it's illness or fatigue that is physical, focus on what you can do to give yourself slightly more energy. Take vitamins, drink enough water, get enough sleep.
    11. Look into homeopathic remedies for health problems. I gained a lot of weight from allopathic medications (for a condition, it turned ot, was misdiagnosed... 5 years later still losing that weight).
    12. Make sure you get enough vitamin D and enough sun light, especially in the winter.
    13. Look into taking Co-Q-10 and L-Carnitine to boost energy levels.
    14. Make sure you aren't anemic. Take an iron supplement if you are anemic or struggle with ongoing anemia.
    15. Small things add up. If you make a sandwich, cut it in half and eat half for lunch with veggies and the other half later for a snack or for dinner with soup.
    16. Read labels on food. If you can't pronounce something or don't know what it is, try to avoid that product.
    17. Eat fiber rich foods. They fill you up and also help clean out your system. Also, eat spicy foods. They are generally good for you.
    18. Take a walk after dinner.
    19. Eat before you are full.
    20. Try not to eat for 4 hours before going to bed.
    21. make breakfast the largest meal of your day, lunch the next biggest and have a very light dinner. (Breakfast eat like a king, lunch eat like a prince, dinner eat like a pauper). Unless you are a night owl, but the meal you eat first in your "day" should be the largest.
    22. Spread your calories out through out the day.
    23. Eat simple, easy to make meals. Raw is generally the healthiest. Avoid things with added salt, fat or sugar, or chemicals.
    24. Don't wear baggy clothes. Wear clothing that fits, and as you lose weight, use a belt. Get yourself new clothes that fit as you lose weight. Even a few days of wearing my "baggy" clothes has my weight going up, as I end up eating more.
    25. Add ice to your water.
    26. Take the skin off chicken, by lean burger meat as opposed to regular, bake or poach your meat, avoid food that is greasy to the touch.

:)
  • Nos150
    Nos150 Posts: 150
    Options
    my best advice I have to offer is do your research BEFORE you start, its all well and good that you want to loose weight/get healthy, but there is so much more then just eating less and exercising more.

You need to know how to do it safely and why something’s will work for you and not others.

did you know that 95% of home exercise DVDs are considered unsafe to do by many physiotherapists?

Do you know why butter is better then margarine even if it has more "fat" in it? (Who do you trust more chemist or a cow?)

Did you know why radical diets don’t last long? (Who the heck wants to eat cabbage soup 6 times a week?)

Do you know the difference in what types of fat that your body needs to function? (There are thee major ones that just make up your DNA)

Understanding why your body needs to be feed, and exercised (other then for losing weight) just to function.

Do you know the minerals that your body does not make at all? (And is supplied only by your diet)

If you are doing improper exercise you can pull or strain muscles, and you can become very deficient in minerals and vitamins.

Diet and exercise can be very harmful, if this information is not know to a person.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to fads!

Miracle diets aren't.

Simple: Calories in minus calories burned should equal a negative number, it's simply math, it doesn't matter what you eat or when you eat. It's about quantity.

Health on the other hand is about quality of food.

Drink lots of water.

Be careful of sodium, I found I retained a lot of water weight if my sodium is too high.
  • lgwmab
    lgwmab Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Do not deny yourself, anything, and everything in moderation. Lot's of water, now for my weight loss to kick in gear again, I have it a plateau. :(
  • aichabp
    Options
    This is a great idea!
    I am always looking for measuring cups and the 2 that we have seem to always be dirty.
    I am going to buy tons more today so that they are always available.
    I have a great flat scale already and it works wonders!
  • aichabp
    Options
    My husband and I keep our measuring cups on a cup tree on the counter and our scale as well. That way if we are interested in having something to eat it reminds us we have to keep our portion control in check. Becca

This is a great idea!
    I am always looking for measuring cups and the 2 that we have seem to always be dirty.
    I am going to buy tons more today so that they are always available.
    I have a great flat scale already and it works wonders!
  • aichabp
    Options
    As I started my journey I have done a lot of learning.

I like concrete data.
    As we all probably know by now...3,500 calories = 1 lb.

Based on my height, weight and lifestyle I am supposed to eat 1,200 cal to lose 1 lb per week.

I was having a hard time putting that into practice when we don't really know how many calories we actually spend during the day.

My trainer recommended me to purchase a heart monitor / calorie counter so that he could monitor my heart rate during our workouts because I have a condition that makes me not sweat. Yes, I can be running for 1 hour at 6 km/hr at an inclination of 3 and not a drop of sweat will show.

Not to worry...I carry a water spray with me at all times to refresh me and keep my brain temperature down.

What is cool is that I decided to wear the calorie counter all day from the time I get out of the shower until I go to bed and now I know exactly how many calories I used all day - including the work-out and I know exactly how many calories of food I consume.
    Also when I realize that I have been at my resting heart rate for too long (seating in my office desk), I get up and do a walk around the office.

Because of this data I also know that expecting more than 2 lbs loss per week would be unrealistic for me a busy working mother of 3. But 2 lbs per week is OK. This means that in about 15 weeks I could be at my goal. I am OK with that.

So, my tip is...is you like concrete data (like me), buy a calorie counter/heart rate monitor and use it as a tool.

Aicha.
  • Brandy0213
    Options
    Guys and Gals all of your input is wonderful! PLEASE keep it coming... My goal here is for everyone to give what has helped or hurt them on this journey so that we can have different things to do or try to see what does and doesnt work for ourselves and maybe get some information we didn't know about... We are all different weight, sizes, nationalities, etc and all have different goals and reasons for this journey... but what we do have in common is that we all experience a lot of the same things getting to our goals... Its one thing for our families and friends to be supportative of our endeavors, but sometimes its just not the same as someone who is going through it with you! I know I need the ecouragement and am willing to give it as well! GOOD LUCK MY FITNESS PAL BUDDIES! :tongue:
  • PAWeissenstein
    PAWeissenstein Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Smartphone, dataplan (even if it is a prepaid phone/plan) and MFP on the phone. If you enter your food, etc while on the go and don't wait until you get to a computer then you will eat less especially when dining out. I saw this myself during the week when I ate out twice (once in a restaurant and once at a friend's house) and each time ate less then half of what I would have eaten if I didn't enter the data.

Also - don't be embarrassed. Just do it. I'm a diabetic and I have no issues with checking my sugars and taking my shots in public. My feeling is that a) people that know me know I'm a diabetic and I have to do it and b) people that don't know me don't have the right to make a judgement about it. The same will hold true for monitoring your food. When I was at my friend's house the other night there was a person there who I did not know and who had an issue with my entering my food intake into my phone, My response to her was simple - when I have a stroke or something happens that I can no longer fend for myself is she going to take care of me? Her response - no why? And I rested my case.

Remember - this is not a case of being selfish but rather of being healthy long term. If others can't deal with it then it is their problem not yours....
  • Brandy0213
    Options
    I have actually lost a total of 80 so pounds give or take a few... especially right now... but having MFP on my phone was what helped me... I definitely thought twice about what I put in my mouth after looking at the calories! So your statements are right on... And KUDOS to you on your attitude about this... We all have to take ownershop of what and how we treat our bodies... its OUR body not OTHERS!
  • bexominglex
    bexominglex Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Right on Brandy! That is awesome! I gained a lot of weight from meds, and am still losing it. But just being on MFP, even though I never over-ate, I am seeing how eating more veggies really works and looking at how to balance my fiber and iron and everything and I think this will help me lose weight that I wasn't shaking before.

80 pounds is GREAT! WTG!
  • PAWeissenstein
    PAWeissenstein Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    One other thing I just realized this morning that I am doing and that is entering my foods into MFP (on phone or on computer) BEFORE I take even the first bite. It does make you more aware about what you are going to put into your mouth... And, if you eat less or more, you can always go back and change the values or foods if you have to in order to make corrections. Just FWIW.
    Peter
  • Brandy0213
    Options
    I actually use it a lot to decide WHAT I am going to eat!!! I will think of a few things I want to eat and then enter the different items and see whats going to fit in calorie wise for that particular day... As I said before, I have fallen off the wagon and put some weight back on, and I refuse to get on the scale to see just how much... but I know its enough to notice in ALL ways... but I know I can do it and just have to get back in mindset that I can't eat like I did when I was 18 and as much as I would like to think I have an awesome metabolism and can eat whatever I want (like some can), the reality is my body isn't like that unfortunately and everything I put in my mouth matters... So I have to make a choice everyday, what is important to me for that day... is my health and body image more important or is that nagging want for that cheeseburger.... Don't get me wrong, I don't really "diet"... I eat what I want... the difference is portions AND if I decide to have a cheeseburger and fries for one of my meals... well that might be my only food for the day because that one meal will pretty much consume all of my calories for the day! Trust me some days, I am more than willing for that trade off... Some days, its not worth it... Also, I can't stress enough the importance of "calorie cycling"... it helps so much with avoiding that plateau and keeps your metabolism going by constatly keeping your body guessing how much fuel its going to get for the day! Keep blogging... I love reading all the things that have helped or hindered and I am sure others are getting stuff out of what we post...
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    One other thing I just realized this morning that I am doing and that is entering my foods into MFP (on phone or on computer) BEFORE I take even the first bite. It does make you more aware about what you are going to put into your mouth... And, if you eat less or more, you can always go back and change the values or foods if you have to in order to make corrections. Just FWIW.
    Peter
    Definitely this.

And then looking back over my exercise diary to work out what I'll need to do if the craving puts me over. Most of the time I won't give in because I can't be bothered doing the exercise I'll need to earn it.