Introduce yourself

Options
empc
empc Posts: 88 Member
Hi! My name is Elaine. I am 56 years old, a wife and mom of 2. no grandchildren yet, unfortunately. I live in Pennsylvania and work full time. I have been on a weight loss journey for what seems like forever. Nice to meet you

Replies

• amnesia38
    Options
    Hi my name's Ann. I'm older than you at nearly 65 and I have four grandchildren. Been Christmas shopping today for the children and done very well.

I've put weight on since a hysterectomy and finding it hard to shift.

I live in a place called Guisborough in North Yorkshire, England and look forward to us sharing our dieting journey together.

I've only been a member of myfitnesspas since last Friday so haven't lost much yet, just 1 lb.
  • Mamasota
    Mamasota Posts: 144
    Options
    I'm starting over and hope I succeed this time. My name is Jan and I live in Texas. I work full time and sit in a cube in front of a computer all day. I know I will never lose this extra weight if I don't start moving. I'm 61, mother of 2 and grandmother of 1.
  • wendyhof2
    wendyhof2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Wendy. 57 years old and live in Illinois. I, too, sit in front of a computer all day and have the butt to show for it! LOL. Hoping to gain strength from you all and start moving to avoid buying all new clothes.
  • scottstacy
    Options
    My name is Nana and I live in Tennesse. I am a Life member of another group but have not been motivated to attend meetings. I hope and think this is going to work for me. I know of others who have lost with fitness pal. I am retired but active doing lots but not exercising which I have just committed to doing 3 times a week. I hope all of my new friends will help me. It is important for me to lose the weight to maintain good health. I am caring for others in my family and have neglected myself.
  • Rory48
    Rory48 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi- My name is Sharon and I'm sixty three years young. Losing weight at my age seems hopeless. It takes forever to lose a pound. But, I keep on trying. Y o Y, didn't I try and lose weight years ago. I live in Manitoba and I have two children and I don't have grandchildren just a grand dog and grand cat.
  • GMPOTS
    GMPOTS Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I am Gail , 62 retired, I have 3 grown Sons. No grandchildren yet. I started my journey in September, I love this site for keeping track of my calories. My Hubby and I are on a track to lose 40 pounds to feel better. I wlll accepts friends to help each other to goal..
    My downfall is carbs.
  • OhDD65
    OhDD65 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hi !
    I am Diane, 64 yrs old and retired. I am on a mission to finally get this weight under control. I have
    been fighting this as far back as childhood. This is a great site ! For two months I have been a part of
    this. Also stepped up my exercise to 45 min. 6 days per week. Unfortunately I have only lost 5 lbs so
    far................it is very slow to come off at my age I am finding. Thankfully I only have 25 more pounds to
    lose. Appreciate all of the encouragement from everyone.
  • zee1957
    zee1957 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hi I just turn 54 on Thanksgiving day. Can I still join this group? I'm a grandmother of 4 if that helps :smile:
  • Debtappe
    Debtappe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm Deb and I'm 59. It's hard to believe I'll be 60 next summer. I live in Michigan. I am around 40 pounds overweight. Ideally I want to lose about a pound a week but I'll take a pound every 2 weeks if necessary. More than that I want to feel energetic and healthy in a way that I haven't felt for a very long time. So, I'm back on the weight loss wagon and planning on increasing my exercise to a half hour a day. My biggest issue? Making myself a priority and setting aside time to do what needs to be done. So glad to meet all of you.
  • daniran
    daniran Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone! I've got at least 50lbs to lose to feel totally comfortable in my skin. I've tried many diets and once I don't see any results, I lose interest and feel a little depressed. I feel like I have to almost starve to lose a pound. Ridiculous! My metabolism (to lose weight) has slowed to a crawl. But, eat the wrong thing and Bam! no problem gaining it! LOL!

This group is sort of a mixed blessing. On one hand, I'm glad I'm not alone. On the other hand, I'm sorry for us all in our frustration to lose the weight.

Have a great day everyone!:flowerforyou:
  • nanalori101
    Options
    Hi my name is lori I have three grown daughters. two grandchildren and one on the way. I have been attending TOPS for 6 months and for the last 6 weeks been loosing the same 5 lbs have had enough I need to punch up the weight loss so am trying to keep track of my food intake and also fitness plan. I live in Renton Wa with my husband of 31 years.
  • chandas823
    chandas823 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Liinda and I live in Burbank, WA. I am a 63 year old wife of 34 years, mother and grandmother. Have lost weight on PRISM before but it just keeps coming back. Felt the best when eating closet to natural as possible. I am working out at Gold's gym three days a week with my workout buddy. Trying to get a few friends from my church to join me in this battle.
  • housegirl2
    housegirl2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm almost 66 years old, work as a realtor and am a fairly recent member of MFP. Had been really successful losing weight with a workout (The FIRM)and diet program then 5 years ago had a car accident and injuries made it harder to do the kind of workouts I was used to and put back on almost 30 of the 50 lbs I had lost.Had recent surgery on shoulder, Am now able to work out but have developed some health issues that need immediate attention (heart and pre-diabetes) that will be helped by getting weight off and getting in shape. The good thing is that my heart issues will be helped by a challenging cardio workout so don't really have any big limitations for working out.

Being over 55 has its own challenges and like the idea of meeting others in a similar situation. I'm signed up to go to a nutrition class my DR gives and will also have a heart treadmill stress test to take to see how my heart medication is working. I'm going to the local YMCA and using their weight room as well as using treadmill and other equipment, taking a Zumba class, and am looking into some yoga classes.
  • samantha1953
    samantha1953 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    HI all. I have been on MFP off and on for awhile but have been faithful now for 24 days and have lost 11 lbs. I am 58. I lost about 65 lbs 9 years ago on Michael Thurmond 6WBM. I use many of the things I learned then but try not to limit any food groups. Health and life issues caused the weight gain again.

I battle arthritis (will probably need a knee but am trying to hold that off), mild asthma and occasional Atrial Fibrillation.

I am married to my junior high sweetheart (long story) and we are semi-retired in Northern Michigan.

I want to be healthy again and pain free.

Nice to meet you all.

You can also join us in "Fit After 50!"
  • DeeBear
    DeeBear Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    HI all. My name is Dee and I am 56 years old. I have two beautiful children, also do not have any grandchildren. Have been married for 34 years. I work in an office at a computer also. I need to work out and lose 40 pounds. I quit smoking 2 years ago and put on 15 pounds. Also fell down some stairs and fractured an ankle and was non-weight bearing for 12 weeks. Just need to get my rear in gear before I turn 60.
    So nice to meet you all. I live in Grand Island, Nebraska. I have a basement full of exercise equipment so there are no excuses.

LET'S DO THIS TOGETHER!!!

Can never have too many friends.
  • Murlin54
    Murlin54 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm Linda, age 57,retired, married 29 years, two children. I have about 40 lbs to lose, give or take five. I gained about 30 lbs since my breast cancer treatment and am still on Aromasin. I will be five years post chemo/radiation in Feb. I've lost as much as 14 lbs in past attempts, only to end up gaining it all back. I gained 7 lbs this summer providing hospice care for a family member. Long hours, no physical activity. During my first chemo round I got very sick and ended up in the hospital for a week, lost ten pounds and when I got out, gradually gained back the ten and another ten pretty quickly. The last ten has slowly crept on and off (much faster on than off, lol) but I always seem to give up. I just haven't had the will power I used to have. I've been pretty healthy most of my life, exercised more on than off, kept my weight in a pretty good range until I hit about 45, then started to gain. It just seemed to take so much effort after that point that I sort of let things slip. My motivation to lose is pretty strong but I don't want to get discouraged and quit this time till I reach my goal. I realize it will be a lifelong project getting there and staying there. My blood pressure is great. Lipid panels were okay but I do need to get them rechecked. My Mom had early onset Alzheimer's, so that is a big motivation to get in the fitness as well. My biggest downfall has been my addiction to genealogy, which has me spending too much time sitting at the computer.

I see that a lot of us are in the same boat. So hard to lose the weight at this age. It just sticks like glue. I just joined MFP today after watching Dr. Phil's show on the PINK Method and researching a bit, finding people mention this site. I can't believe how much easier it has been to add what you eat into this program. I am amazed and very pleased although I've only entered one day so far. I used the Prevention site in the past and another as well (can't remember the name) and it took sooooo much time to enter the foods in it became like a part-time job. The food search feature seems a vast improvement over the others.

Anyway, I talk too much. lol I wish us all the best luck here.
  • moonblu
    moonblu Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Danielle and I am 57...soon to have a birthday...58!!!....I am married with 5 children and 1 grandchild.....I have been on MFP for one month....l am looking forward to a more healthier me!
  • bogeyfella
    Options
    Hi Nana! I too, live in the great state of TN. I am 57 years old and retired also. Although, I might be entering the work force again soon. I have been married for 39 years and have two children. When I was working, weight gain wasn't an issue, but after three years of retirement, the lbs. started accumulating. I have going to the "Y" for the last couple of weeks and I feel better. I just started MFP today and am looking for some friends. Good luck on your endeavor and let me know if I can provide any additional support / encouragement.

Randy
  • Mr8656
    Options
    Greeting All,

My name is Mic. I'm a 56 year old male hispanic with heart disease, high blood pressure and high HDL. Two years ago I weighed 268.8 pounds, today I weighed in at 206.5. I've been a member on MFP for about 4 months, and since I started charting my intake I have lost over 25 pounds of that 62 pound total. I must be truthful, I've had serious help in my weight loss journey. I've had two surgeries and I feel really good. Even with the surgery I still have to remain dilligent in my dieting, it's really not as easy as you might think. I'm learning to eat healthier, not only to achieve my weight loss goal but also to achieve my personal goals of a healtier lifestyle.

I'm single with 5 children and 7(+1 on the way) grandchildren. They are my joy and happiness and I hope to be here for many more yeras to come, and with a little help from my friends I hope that will happen. If you are considering surgery as an option to weight loss I invite you to contact me and I will offer you an insight as to what I've been through these past two years. Good luck to you all. I hope all your goals and trials will be successful.
  • langdon7
    Options
    Hi,my name is Linda,I am 55 years old mother of two grown married adult children and two grandaughters.I need encouragement,i have lost weight many times before,but can never keep it off.I always had excuse but I will try harder this time,nd try to make healthier choices.