First day on MFP

Options
This is my first day on My Fitness Pal. It was recommended on another 17 day diet forum, but I am not sure I like it. I have spent the morning trying to enter a couple of recipes, along with some cooking. I don't know how you can edit a recipe or how you can get the measurements you need, like cups, teaspoons, or tablespoons are not always an option. Sometimes it is grams, other times different measurements. I am not sure I will stay here even though it was highly recommended.

I am on C1D14 and have only lost 4# as of this morning. I was away for Thanksgiving and did not follow the plan very closely, although I tried to get in lots of veggies, protein, lots of water and drank lemon water every morning. I think I was probably at 4# down before I left, so I didn't gain which is a good thing. I lost 3 pounds after my 3rd day and was estatic, not so much so now.

My plan is to continue C1 a few extra days. I will switch to C2 on Sunday, which will give me Saturday to read up and prepare. I am finding it difficult to follow with my work schedule and the fact that I am just so tired when I get home. I had surgery mid-Sept and just can't seem to get my mojo back. Because of this, I have been walking occasionally, but not on any type of regular exercise plan.

Has anyone else lost just a little on C1. Many have said I need to track my calories, which is why I am here, because I may not be eating enough. A little background...I had gastric bypass surgery in Nov 2003 and am trying to lose 30+# that I regained.

I am very frustrated.

Replies

• DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Any life style change is a learning experience. If you use the tracking tools, the rest of us can take a look and see if there are any hidden saboteurs in your daily diet.

That said, the calories that we generally see from Accelerate are very low.

Are you exercising effectively? Yes, the book says 17 minutes per day, but that really is a minimum. What type of exercise do you perform?

If you exercise strenuously and eat low calories, you may not lose weight.
    If you exercise lightly and eat low calories, you may not lose weight.

You have to find the balance point that works for you.

My first cycle did not produce the results I had hoped. I analyzed my eating (and joined MFP!) and realized my sodium intake was terribly high. I also discovered that light yogurt is high in sugar and carbs. I replaced one yogurt serving (of 2) each day with an Atkins protein bar (low sugar, low carb).

With those changes -- and strict adherence to the no carb/no cheating rule!) -- my second time through Accelerate was incredible.

It's tough not to cheat -- I have to fix real meals with carbs and everything else for my teenaged son. I cannot make him adhere to my limited diet because he is active and growing. Nor can I eat what he does.

But the good news is twofold: (1) staying completely off starches for the entire 17-days detoxes your body and eliminates your future cravings. (2) staying completely off starches for the entire 17-days will enable you to lose weight more quickly.

Remember, starches also hold a tremendous amount of water. When you first eliminate then, you will see a couple of pounds of "loss" within a few days. This is the water you are losing. Staying off the starches, you will begin to see consistent fat loss.

Once you add starches back in (slowly, as the good book says), you will pick up some water weight with them, probably a couple of pounds. I always shoot for a couple pounds below my ideal weight so I can add a couple of starches back in without feeling like a yo-yo.

Good luck! We're here to support. Open up your diary and let us take a peek.
  • Gamergl
    Gamergl Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've just restarted phase 1 too. For the past two weeks I've been trying to loose weight by still incorporating carbs into my diet - but I didn't loose anything. I'm on Day 3 now of the 17 DD and feel great! And I've noticed changes already, (but have not recorded anything - am waiting 'til Thursday to 'officially' weigh in.)

icandothis -> my first four days on MFP were a total wash - I was always over my calories and felt like I was getting nowhere, but I still recorded absolutely everything, just to see what kind of terrible things I was eating - and for some reason I'm still here - and actually feeling changes. I believe it all has to do with the great support. And yes, the website is a bit 'clunky' - I'm finding, but that's the great thing about web applications, there's always updates and changes that will occur. And also the trade-off, is really the support groups you find and the friends on here. (Feel free to add me if you wish).

Don't worry about falling off the plan for a couple of days - what matters is that you get back on track - stick with it, you CAN do this! :)

I hope you stick with - give it a week or two and you'll be a master in no time!
  • icandothis6
    Options
    I am not exercising at all at this time. I had surgery in Sept and it is a long road back. When I get home from work, I am sore and do not want to really overdo it. I am a little afraid to exercise in the morning, if I had the time, because I need to be able to get through a full day of work and don't want to do it in pain.
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I am not exercising at all at this time. I had surgery in Sept and it is a long road back. When I get home from work, I am sore and do not want to really overdo it. I am a little afraid to exercise in the morning, if I had the time, because I need to be able to get through a full day of work and don't want to do it in pain.

Some exercise is really necessary. Can you do arm curls or stretches or walk a little in place to music? Maybe some floor exercises? Pain isn't fun, I know. I had terrible hip pain before I lost my weight. I did as much as I could.