Ease up! You don't have to be perfect on the 17DD

Options
DonnaLFitz
DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
The 17 Day Diet is designed to coax us through the whole lifestyle change via a series of cycles. Each cycle makes some changes.

Apparently, the hardest cycle is the 1st one, because the food choices are so limited.

If you are stressing over your progress, don't. Just learn from your mistakes. There are ways to modify even your first Accelerate cycle so that you feel better but do not totally sabotage your efforts.

My biggest problem was keeping my calories up without the starches and sweets. Everything I was "allowed" was either two high in sodium or too high in sugars. Foods I thought would work, I ended up having to ditch because of one or the other.

I sort of bumbled my way through the first cycle, then repeated it a second time, using everything I had learned. That cycle was very successful.

With the holidays coming on and special events planned (which almost always revolve around food), I suggest the following:

* Log everything as best you can
* Exercise daily, minimally if necessary, but daily
* Follow the Accelerate foods list on days with no special parties or meals
* Do your best on the days that do have special parties or meals
* Don't give up -- just modify

Remember: we are going for a lifestyle change. Life includes holidays. This is great time to learn to deal with them.

And regarding the 17DD, we must each learn what truly works for us and what doesn't. I do best if I plan a treat into my meal plan every single day. That's not on the official Accelerate Cycle food list, but it is what works for me physically and emotionally. Find what works for you.

Replies

• Gamergl
    Gamergl Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I agree, it's about learning what works for you, without feeling deprived.
  • mybeachpal
    mybeachpal Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Good post, Donna. Thanks for this. I am on day 2 of 17DD, and finding very nice success already; and realizing that I can make small modifications and be successful. It's a real journey and learning process to see what works best:flowerforyou: . Non-beneficial habits can be replaced with those which will enhance goal achievement.
  • icandothis6
    Options
    I love your rainbow ticker. Is it on MFP? I can't find it.
  • icandothis6
    Options
    Donna,

Are you saying you did C1 2x in a row without moving on to C2? I am struggling, as you know, and with everything coming up this month...well, I just don't know how I am going to handle it. I have to wonder if that is what I need to do instead of going on to C2. I just don't want to go into starvation mode and the days I have logged, with the exception of yesterday, were around 800 cal.

Can you share some of the things, if you remember, that you were not doing correctly on the first round of C1 and corrected on the 2nd?

I am at the end of C1 and not sure where to go from here....repeat C1, extend C1, go to C2, or just give it up altogether.
  • icandothis6
    Options
    I just wrote a long post and lost it :frown:

I was saying I was confused about all of the information on the webcasts and the forum that sometimes contradict what is in the book. For example...green tea. I can't drink it for medical reasons and saw on the webcast that the chef (?) said he drinks diluted sf cranberry juice instead. Same effect?

I can only drink 8 oz at a time or less because that is the capacity of my little tummy. I do not drink with meals or 30 minutes before or after meals. That makes it really hard to get all my water in and not be up all night. Dr Mike also said it is ok to add flavoring to your water, which was fine with me because it goes down much faster that way!

I add one of my fiber supplements to lemon water in the morning, which adds 15 calories. Is this a problem?

There is lots of controversy over different items such as cottage cheese and other things. I called and they said lf cottage cheese is ok on C1, so I have been eating that. I did finally find a Horizon brand with Live Cultures in the Health Food section at a Kroger, but it was $4 for a 16 oz container. And if you can eat that on C1, why not lf cottage cheese (<$2 on sale at Kroger)?

I have been reading through posts on http://www.thedoctorstv.com/forums/505 and just get more confused. I have made some recipes that were posted as acceptable on C1, but am thinking that may not have been a good idea.

I apologize if I am babbling, I am really struggling back and forth about what to do going forward. I have no "bad" foods in the house except for some Light Progresso Soup, some PB, and mac and cheese which needs milk I don't have. I do have some Shiratake noodles I purchased and have not tasted yet, but don't know when I can have them. They are 0 cal, 0 carbs, 0 sugar, soy free, and protein free. Everything on the nutrition label is ), so can I have these on C1?
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    @icandothis6: Yes, it can be overwhelming. There is a lot of information in the book, but I'll summarize it a bit here and maybe that will help.

For C1, you can have:

(1) 2 servings Yogurt-like products. These are included because of their probiotic effects, not because of the dairy component. He recommends 2 servings per day, but I only ate one. Anything that comes from milk contains sugars. I wanted to reduce that.

(2) NO Starches (cereal, bread, rice, pasta, oats, etc.) on C1. This helps your body detox. Plus, if you think about it practically, no one eats raw grain -- it always has to have something with it to make is palatable.

(3) Unlimited lean meats, including chicken, fish, and turkey. BUT --- limit the amount of pre-packaged meats you eat -- they are loaded with sodium. I personally eat a pre-packaged chicken breast most every day for lunch (Member's Mark Mesquite Grilled Chicken from Sam's Club). These are easy and help with my hectic schedule. The sodium is there, but I offset it by not eating any other pre-packaged foods or canned vegetables the rest of the day.

(4) Eggs. He recommends no more than 4 egg yolks per week, but those of us "in the know" understand that dietary cholesterol really has no impact on your blood cholesterol levels.

(5) Low-sugar fruits - 2 servings only, eaten before 2pm each day. Berries, oranges, apples, peaches, plums are good choices. No bananas on C1 -- they are starchy.

(6) Unlimited cleansing vegetables. Eat at least a couple raw, if you can. Steam or boil the rest without salt. Use parmesan cheese as a tasty garnish, or a tiny bit of olive oil or butter. Lemon pepper is good for seasoning as well. Choose from: broccoli, carrots, onions, greens, cabbage, lettuce, brussel sprouts, asparagus, yellow squash, zucchini, tomatoes, bell peppers, green beans, spinach. Avoid canned vegetables if at all possible -- the sodium adds up in a heartbeat.

(7) Condiments -- small quantities are fine, just log them: Salsa, marinara, mayo, parmesan cheese, wine sauce, hollandaise, bernaise, A1, worcestershire, ketchup, mustard. I personally love Maple Grove Farms of Vermont fat-free honey dijon dressing on chicken -- and on raw vegetables, for that matter. The sugar-free fat-free Raspberry Vinegarette has only 5 calories per tablespoon, excellent garnish for almost anything.

One of the other members of this group suggested that you take a day a week to cook everything you need for the week. That is a great idea.

Buy some whole chickens (or this time of year, turkey) and roast them up. You can slice the meat up and store it for use during the week.

I personally keep salmon burgers on hand for quick meals. I like to mix a little sour cream with dill weed as a garnish for my salmon.

I make tuna (or chicken or egg) salad using a half cup chopped celery, 1 sliced green onion (and top), 1 can rinsed tuna in water, 1 T. miracle whip light, and 1 T sugar-free relish.

Here is a sample menu that I would follow on C1:

Breakfast:
    Light yogurt blended with 1/2 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
    1/2 cup fresh-frozen blueberries
    1 boiled egg

Lunch:
    1 chicken breast (Member's Mark Mesquite Grilled from Sam's Club)
    3 servings baby carrots (raw)
    1 roma tomato sliced
    1/2 cucumber sliced
    6 black olives
    1 T. Maple Grove Farms of Vermont Honey Dijon Mustard dressing

Afternoon Snack:
    2 mini babybel gouda cheese

Dinner:
    1 salmon burger
    1 T. dill & sour cream topping
    1 cup stream broccoli
    2 tsp. parmesan cheese

Dessert:
    Atkins Endulge Nutty Fudge Brownie

You can use the above as a pattern and just substitute in other foods that you like. Try entering all of it into your food diary for a future day and you can see the overall nutritional impact.
  • icandothis6
    Options
    Thanks, Donna.