Hello

Leigh_D
Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
edited 5:40PM in Social Groups
Hello fellow Idahoans! I am relatively new to the 208; moved to the Boise/Meridian area nearly two years ago, in April 2010.

Joined MFP nearly a year ago, January 2011 and have shed 60 pounds. About 30 to go to goal! I'm not really sure where I'll end up, because I haven't been this size or smaller for 15-20 years.

Looking forward to continuing on this journey! Nice to connect with folks in the area.

Leigh

Replies

• mamalisa150
    mamalisa150 Posts: 11 Member
    Leigh-WOW you look fantastic way to go! 60 big ones is impressive. What do you keep your cals at? What kind of exercise do you like doing?

So about me-I'm a born and raised Idaho gal and sure do love food. I like to say I don't have a full button I can just eat and eat and eat. I have a ten month old baby girl (I have lost the baby weight but still have 20 "old" pounds I'd like to lose) and I work out at home (currently p90x and zumba) keep my cals at 1200 most days and love MFP.

I hope more of you post! I need all the motivation I can get these days. Holidays scare me....self control is hard this time of year. I can justify anything :)
    6006495.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Leigh_D
    Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
    Thanks Lisa! Your ticker says you've shed over 30 pounds -- That's nothing to shake a stick at! :happy:

At first I was letting MFP automatically calculate my deficit. To give you your Daily Calorie budget, they use your height, current weight, and age in a formula to determine Basal Metabolic Rate, then increase that number by an activity factor, then subtract a 500-cal-per-day deficit.

I just recently switched to the more simplistic "Goal Weight * 10". Since my goal weight is 140, I have set my budget to 1400 calories a day. I have a spreadsheet in Excel to do the other kind of calculations ("Harris Benedict" and "Mifflin St Jeor" if you want to google it... .) Amusingly enough, the number from all three methods comes out about the same!

I'm allergic to gyms, so I have returned to running after (ahem) 20 years off! I started last January "just" walking. Walking walking walking for three months, then I started inserting short running intervals. It's taken me a year, but I have gone from 240 pounds walking at 20+ min/mile to 170 pounds running 5 minutes walking 1 minute at 11 minutes a mile! I'm excited and motivated to see where I am in another year.

I just have to remember I'm 40 in March, not 17 years old like when I ran in High School. I doubt I'll ever hit those speeds again. Like the Bruce Springsteen song, "Glory Days"! hahahaha
  • koylefam
    koylefam Posts: 142 Member
    I statredt this group and it was "dead " for so long I forgot to check back... It's nice to see someone from the potatoe state... you both have done AMAZING!!!!!!
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Hi everyone. Don't know if this group is still going, but it's nice to have a group for Idahoans. I am from Meridian. I joined MFP awhile ago, and a friend got me to give it another try. I think it would be nice to have support from people nearby. I have a lot of weight to lose, but I know I can do it. Your weight loss gives me inspiration.
This discussion has been closed.