pet toys...

Options
I have a 5 month old pitt and he tears up what ever toy we get him! any ideas for toys that would last longer then a day lol

Replies

• peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I love Pitts myself, although it's been a long time since I've had one. He was the same way. I noticed that the more excercise he got, the less destructive he was. I also baught him the supersized rawhide bones to chew on. An extra large one would last him about a week. You will just have to make sure to by good quality toys for large breed dogs. They usually make them to last longer than the cheaper ones. FYI, you won't find them at walmart or target. You will have to go to a quality pet store.
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    Options
    Ty Peck ill do that
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    A lot of exercise helps and bones to chew on.. The one bone toy that has lasted in my house of 3 dogs for the last couple weeks has been a Nylabone Durachew, but it's about $15 though... Aside from that I'm still searching for tough toys because my golden loves to chew!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Kong makes some great toys. My dog is/was a chewer. I tried the Nylabones and he even chewed through those. But I have yet to have him destroy a Kong. Not to say it can't be done, but they are pretty durable. Not cheap, but then again, neither is buying new toys every week!

http://www.kongcompany.com/

my dog is only half pit, but her other half is lab, lol....she's definitely a chewer. we get her the "indestructable bones" which she does destroy but they last a little while. we also have a kong and she hasn't killed it.....yet
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    My lab is pretty destructive with toys as well. The larger rope ties last him longer than some others, especially if they have some form of solid plastic on them. He does hit himself on the head when he shakes it however... The bigger more solid plastic also lasts him well. To feed his destructive tendency I get second hand teddy bears cheaply and give them to him occasionally. Tennis balls are used for Fetch games and then removed as they are destroyed in minutes! Rawhide chews never last more than half an hour, no matter how big, but smoked ostrich leg bones can last a couple of weeks. He spends most of his time during the day outside with my landlords dogs (GSD adult and Swiss Shepherd puppy) and if he has played with them all day, he is not interested in toys. The addition of the kitten to the family 4 months ago also reduced his interest in toys...
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I have a 110 pound Pit....I have yet to find any toy that can stand up to him......I just buy tennis balls....constantly...he loves them, and has them popped in about 3 mins.......but at least they are not that expensive....
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    We've got Huskies and have the same problem too!! The extra tough Nylabone is slowly shrinking but it's about the best thing we've found so far - but it's only our 9 month old pup that uses it. Sorry, that wasn't too helpful lol!!
  • alynk
    alynk Posts: 27
    Options
    I have an American Bulldog/Bull Mastiff who is a super chewer! He has not been able to chew through the Goughnut (goughnut.com) that I bought him $35 but they will replace it less shipping if he is able to! I also go through a lof of rawhides and he happens to LOVE frisbees which are thankfully pretty cheap. My Saint Bernard/Lab loves plastic bottles, she sneaks them whenever I open the pantry! They like to tug on ropes and things but that dosn't detour the chewing. We also garage sale for stuffed animals which quickly loose their limbs!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    The only thing that holds up to my dog is the actual bones... the ones with a knee on the one side.

anything rawhide he devours and ends up throwing it up all over my carpet
  • DayumStraightIAmEllie
    Options
    Once my dad had a block of concrete. What he did was made a mold of a bone and let it dry. Then put a bone in it deep into the concrete and let my dog eat it....she sat there for hours trying to get to it.

Or we give our dogs the empty peanut butter jars. They love those. My rottie will sit forever and lick it.

We give my puppy giant bones to chew on.