Encouragement

Options
Hello, this is Seth from Saginaw, and I'm relatively new to the site. Created a "Michigan" group before realizing this one was here, and hopefully will figure out how to delete that unnecessary one soon.

I had a late-night conversation with a friend last night and we decided to keep tabs on each other, by trying to email each other as often as possible with words of encouragement and status updates to help through any possible slumps. I know lots of people in our fair state are unemployed right now, and the recent bout of foul weather probably isn't helping anyone's mood or motivation. What I'm thinking is that if you are unemployed, or even just feeling down because of the weather or whatever reason, working out can make your life better in innumerable ways. It can occupy time otherwise spent feeling depressed, and give you the physical and mental boost you need to attack the job hunt, that heavy workload, or even the seasonal blues.

To this end, I'd like to propose some sort of "buddy system" for people like me, who often have trouble finding constant motivation. Everyone has a different ebb and flow in their energy levels and motivation. Having a friend (even an online one) care and check up on you from time to time could make all the difference. I know I'm more accountable when someone is "bugging" me about my workouts and my eating habits.

Best of luck to all of you, and feel free to add me, I'd love to have some more people to help and network with.

Some quotes that have helped me in my personal struggle:

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. ― Anne Frank

Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark, in the hopeless swamps of the approximate, the not-quite, the not-yet, the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish, in lonely frustration for the life you deserved, but have never been able to reach. Check your road and the nature of your battle. The world you desired can be won, it exists, it is real, it is possible, it's yours. - Ayn Rand

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Hi there. It's nice to meet you. I totally understand the highs and lows with the motivation. I am currently in a "low", but am slowly working my way back out of it. :) The cold weather, early darkness, etc doesn't help either.
  • annarouni
    annarouni Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I understand the up and down thing. Just had a low spell during November. Things at work were really bugging me. I know, be glad to have a job. But sometimes the people one works with can be sooo irritating. Like the guy who reads over my shoulder when I am on the computer. He might even be reading this right now! And it's not like he doesn't have his own or anything.... I get so annoyed. Thankfully he has NOT said anything about me losing weight or that would just be the straw that breaks the camel's back. He is going on vacation in a couple of weeks so I am trying to endure until then. But other than that
    I think I am doing all right with motivation. I had bought a dress for a special event, and last Saturday when I tried the dress on to go to a friend's wedding, the dress was loose!!! A thrill, sure. But now I have to alter it so that it doesn't hang. If I don't do that then the purchase a big waste of money. Is that a lose-win, or a win-lose situation????? hahhahhah :laugh: Anyway, I've got my sister on MFP too so we can coach each other. Yeah, the buddy system is really ideal. Doing things alone doesn't work all that well. If it did, none of us would be here, eh?
  • MorticiaLovesGomez
    Options
    I think this is a great idea.
    It's a big reason why I'm <back> here.
    a great friend of mine who is a member here and has lost a significant amt of weight (well at least to me she has) has just never stopped trying to encourage me in her own way.
    She is never ever pushy about things.
    Subtle, stays positive about her own goals and is open to talking.

When you have that person there who is working to lose the weight too, you know they get it.
    They get the excuses, they get the temptation, they get how it feels to plateau or have a set back.

I'm just getting back on it, but you know.....I like this idea a lot and wouldn't mind being a buddy to someone.
  • MorticiaLovesGomez
    Options
    Hi there. It's nice to meet you. I totally understand the highs and lows with the motivation. I am currently in a "low", but am slowly working my way back out of it. :) The cold weather, early darkness, etc doesn't help either.

:)
    It's hard, but it'll totally be worth it!!!

I agree that the dark, cold here in our great state this time of year is a difficult thing.
    Some days I look outside and think "Blah I don't want to move."
    Figure like this: The Solstice is right around the corner and after that baby it's all uphill!!!