Out for Dinner

Options
Kimmer2011
Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
My husband & I have a night without the kids, so we want to go out to dinner. Usually, we like Qdoba, Applebees, Olive Garden, or Outback. Sometimes we splurge at Coney Island, but I generally try to steer us in the direction of a place where at least I can get something healthy. But I guess it's gotten kind of "same old, same old," and I can't think of what I want.

What Detroit-area restaurant do you like to go to?

Replies

• I am not sure what your finances or timeline is like or even if you like to venture "downtown". I live in Lansing, but when we come down this way I love the Monroe Street Steakhouse. I then make a trip to Astoria Pastry Shop.(Both in Greektown) I know that neither of these sound very healthy, but you can choose from seafood and poultry at the steakhouse, and just walking into the bake shop is worth the trip. Makes for a fantastic date night.
    I also have friends down there that go bananas over The Melting Pot, Ruth Chris Steakhouse, Benihana.

I hope that you have a great time

http://www.monroeststeakhouse.com/index.htm

http://www.astoriapastryshop.com/index.asp
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Oh, Benihana! We went there the night he proposed and then again for our rehearsal dinner. I'll have to remember the others, too--maybe for our anniversary next month. I know the steakhouse would be a hit! Thanks for the suggestions. Tonight is going to be good old Olive Garden; Venetian Chicken works for me!
  • MorticiaLovesGomez
    Options
    Does McDonalds count?
    :)

Okay for real.......

I LOVE Mexican Fiesta on Ford Rd in Dearborn. Love, love, love.
    In fact, I'm trying to think of what would be a healthy meal for that place.
    After that...De Lucas has always been a favorite of mine. That's in Garden City on Inkster.
    They have fab greek salads. I usually order extra beets sometimes extra feta, but probably won;t in the future.

Another place that I like is Happys. They have awesome sandwiches. BUT that would be a definite splurge.
  • amcanzo
    amcanzo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmm-mexican fiesta....:tongue: Unfortunately there is really no healthy choices to be made @ Mexican Fiesta but it sure is yummy!!!
  • MorticiaLovesGomez
    Options
    Yah, other than water and eating a tbs or two of salsa, i think you're pretty much spot on!

But it's awesome for a splurge!!
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the Detroit area is like but here in Grand Rapids we are getting more restaurants that are local with locally sourced food. I prefer those over the chains. Although we did recently get a PF Chang's and that was good! Tons of sodium though and had to watch portion size to not be over on calories.

There is a Twisted Rooster that started here in GR and has a Belleville location if you are just outside of Detroit area. They have a lot of healthy options including a Bison Burger which is really good. They also have a super fattening mac and cheese and tater tots though so you do have to be careful!