Side effects and consequences

Options
I've been feeling under the weather all day today, terrible migraine, feverish, weak, all-over muscle aches, and it makes me wonder what everyone else is facing physically as a result of ED. We all know what it is like to be trapped in the cage of a disordered mind, but what happens when the mind has its way with the body it's attached to?

I'm currently alone and suffering, and I want to know what it's like for all of you.

Replies

• stix_n_stones
    Options
    I'm sorry you're feeling crappy, I know it's the worst :(

I am doing fine currently but I often would get dizziness, fatigue, and limbs that go numb when I was at a very low weight. Also, I always get the headaches and stomach cramps from not eating when I go a long time, it's a bummer
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Side effects from my ed...where to start. From 25 years of damage I have really hurt my body. Almost died 2 times, perforated my bowel. Ended up with a colostomy(a bag on the out side of your stomach you poop in) it was reversed. I have no large intestine as I ruined mine from laxatives. So now I am in the bathroom constantly..lucky if I make it there sometime. And there is nothing they can do except tell me to where a diaper. Yeah dont think so. I have stage 3 kidney disease will prob need dialysis at some point. Damaged my liver so my blood counts are off. Have osteoporosis that my jaw is starting to crumble. Have all kinds of stomach issues but yet I still have it. I am to weak to exercise anymore and and tired and cold most of the time. Dont ask why I still have my ed. That is why I say to get help right away when you get one b/c the longer you have it the less chance of recover. Didnt say it wasnt impossible..I am sur there is lots more but it affects my thinking and I just cant think now. Sorry you dont feel good but go take your medicine...food!
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Recently I spent a night in resus from severe hypoglaecimia which nearly caused my heart to stop. It couldn't regulate itself and I was lucky not to die. I have screwed my heart very badly from ED, my first round of anorexia caused me various life-long problems with it and this second round has made them a lot worse. Probably I will need a pacemaker in the next few years. My pulse drops as low as 42 often.

My hair falls out so much that we had to call a plumber to unblock the bath last week.

I black out and pass out quite a lot these days from hypoglaecimia.

My circulation is ruined which as a violinist is hell. It gets so bad that it can take 3 hours to regain feeling in my toes and hands now once they get too cold. By too cold I mean forgetting to wear 2 pairs of thermal socks under my wolly boots, or only wearing one pair of gloves.

And of course the standard muscle fatigue, blood pressure etc issues.
  • stonergrlily
    Options
    The biggest side effects I dealt with were during recovery. I had headaches and achiness and shakes and etc during the most intense times of my ed, but after I started trying to eat normally I suffered IBS, newfound lactose intolerance, and what seemed like allergies to foods i'd been eating my whole life. Not to mention mental issues stemming from the guilt and frustration of it all, as well as an addiction to cocaine that was my new "diet".
  • seaponie
    seaponie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    6 root canals and 2 of those teeth in the end couldn't be saved and had to be pulled. Even though they are kind of in the back, it has effected my smile and self-confidence daily. Implants are very expensive even with insurance. And I'm pretty sure I'm about to lose a third tooth. Started hurting again ever since I "relapsed" heavily.

I get sore throats and canker sores all the time. I've also had a hiatal (chest) hernia from purging.

My heart scares me a lot, irregular beats and such. Make me scared to fall asleep sometimes, afraid I won't wake up in the morning.

My hair's falling out.
  • caterpillar3
    Options
    Today, I had to study in the hall because i was hiding from the librarian who told me I wasn't allowed to wear a winter jacket in school. I had only put it on because I was shivering in my classes all day.

The worst symptoms are the cold (purple fingers, my feet are even cold in the morning), tired, weak, inability to focus, and discomfort when sitting. Idk about you guys, but my *kitten* bones hurt like hell ALL THE TIME.
  • flyawaybyebye
    Options
    I don't know if I really have an ED, or if I'm just really skinny and okay with it, but I do have a lot of these same symptoms just from being underweight. My hair is getting very thin, I lose circulation in my hands and feet all the time, I blacked out at work a few weeks ago, I frequently feel tired and cranky, my blood pressure and pulse are low, etc. My tailbone aches constantly because I have *no* butt left. My period stopped about 6 months ago. You can see all of the veins in my arms and hands (ugly!) I'm always freezing cold, and I have noticed that my lips, fingers and toes turn purple pretty often. I have a cut on my knuckle from the few times I've purged recently, when I've tried to up my food and ate bad things that made me feel sick. My skin is super dry, and there are hollows under my eyes. I think that's pretty much it at this point, but I know that worse things will happen if I continue to lose. :(
  • Amybcb
    Amybcb Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Some of the side effects and consquences of my eating disorder was DJD (degenerative joint disease) diagnosed at age 25 (typically something you develop in your 50's or 60's but because of the lack of nutrients I got it early. I also had some heart problems back in 2007-2008 (arrythmia) due to purging and my electrolytes being off. I've also screwed up my metabolism because now it seems the only way I can lose weight is if I eat 1000 calories a day AND exercise... it's like my body doesn't respond otherwise and I'm sure it's from all the years of screwing with it!
  • cowlover22
    Options
    I don't know if I really have an ED, or if I'm just really skinny and okay with it, but I do have a lot of these same symptoms just from being underweight. My hair is getting very thin, I lose circulation in my hands and feet all the time, I blacked out at work a few weeks ago, I frequently feel tired and cranky, my blood pressure and pulse are low, etc. My tailbone aches constantly because I have *no* butt left. My period stopped about 6 months ago. You can see all of the veins in my arms and hands (ugly!) I'm always freezing cold, and I have noticed that my lips, fingers and toes turn purple pretty often. I have a cut on my knuckle from the few times I've purged recently, when I've tried to up my food and ate bad things that made me feel sick. My skin is super dry, and there are hollows under my eyes. I think that's pretty much it at this point, but I know that worse things will happen if I continue to lose. :(
    Well if you purge I am going to say yes that you have an ed. Why are you "skinny"?(your words) not eating enough, purging,exercising? Well think you are in the right place.
  • cowlover22
    Options
    Some of the side effects and consquences of my eating disorder was DJD (degenerative joint disease) diagnosed at age 25 (typically something you develop in your 50's or 60's but because of the lack of nutrients I got it early. I also had some heart problems back in 2007-2008 (arrythmia) due to purging and my electrolytes being off. I've also screwed up my metabolism because now it seems the only way I can lose weight is if I eat 1000 calories a day AND exercise... it's like my body doesn't respond otherwise and I'm sure it's from all the years of screwing with it!
    My metabolism used to be really screwed up to the point like you that I couldnt lose weight unless i barely ate. I know this makes no sense but I had gotten sick and couldnt work out and had to increase my cals and I gained at first but now my metabolism is in overdrive. Just getting through the first part.
  • flyawaybyebye
    Options
    Well if you purge I am going to say yes that you have an ed. Why are you "skinny"?(your words) not eating enough, purging,exercising? Well think you are in the right place.
    I've only purged a few times - I know that doesn't make it a good thing, but I was thinking it doesn't necessarily make it an ED unless you do it pretty often (every day or multiple times a day) for an extended period of time. I have done it twice in the same week, once (the most recently two times), but otherwise, the episodes have been at least a few weeks apart. I guess I'm skinny because I'm not eating enough, but I'm struggling to figure out how much is enough, without being too much, if that makes sense? Over the last 5 days, I've averaged 1400 calories a day. Today will be a little lower, because our schedule was weird and I can't stuff any more in tonight, but I had a few days that were higher, and a few that were lower, and I'm guessing my average will still be pretty close to 1400. This is up from an average of about 1200 the week before. I really don't want to eat more than this - I think it's bad for your overall health. (There are studies that show a strong correlation between restricting calories and living a longer, healthier life.) I don't overexercise - in fact, other than work (I'm a CNA and my work can be somewhat physical) and a little hot yoga, I don't do a lot of exercise at all. I'd really like to be able to maintain my current weight, or gain a little back, at my current calorie intake. I keep hoping that will happen. But I keep losing. I don't think I need to lose weight or anything like that - I know I'm very thin - but I don't feel all that strongly about needing to regain, either. I just want to freeze myself right here and be able to stay here on 1400 calories... so I don't know if that really makes for an ED or not, but that's where I'm at. It's complicated by my looooooong list of food allergies, too, but I think that's more of a side issue at this point. ;)
  • yukimiyazawa
    yukimiyazawa Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i've recently lost about 60% of my hair. i bruise easily. i'm constantly freezing. i get sick easier these days. i've lost control over my bladder function. i chug laxatives in order to have a proper bowel movement. i have insomnia. my skin is dry. i have dark circles under my eyes. dizziness. fatigue. mood swings.

i'm drawing a blank at the moment on anything else.
  • cowlover22
    Options
    I've only purged a few times - I know that doesn't make it a good thing, but I was thinking it doesn't necessarily make it an ED unless you do it pretty often (every day or multiple times a day) for an extended period of time. I have done it twice in the same week, once (the most recently two times), but otherwise, the episodes have been at least a few weeks apart. I guess I'm skinny because I'm not eating enough, but I'm struggling to figure out how much is enough, without being too much, if that makes sense? Over the last 5 days, I've averaged 1400 calories a day. Today will be a little lower, because our schedule was weird and I can't stuff any more in tonight, but I had a few days that were higher, and a few that were lower, and I'm guessing my average will still be pretty close to 1400. This is up from an average of about 1200 the week before. I really don't want to eat more than this - I think it's bad for your overall health. (There are studies that show a strong correlation between restricting calories and living a longer, healthier life.) I don't overexercise - in fact, other than work (I'm a CNA and my work can be somewhat physical) and a little hot yoga, I don't do a lot of exercise at all. I'd really like to be able to maintain my current weight, or gain a little back, at my current calorie intake. I keep hoping that will happen. But I keep losing. I don't think I need to lose weight or anything like that - I know I'm very thin - but I don't feel all that strongly about needing to regain, either. I just want to freeze myself right here and be able to stay here on 1400 calories... so I don't know if that really makes for an ED or not, but that's where I'm at. It's complicated by my looooooong list of food allergies, too, but I think that's more of a side issue at this point. ;)
    Well I am a nurse so I know how many cals you can burn at work. Maybe you are at the beginning of an ed. Have some of the thoughts and some behaviors but not totally full blown...this is the time to go get some help. See a dietitian she can help you with the number of cals you need.
    I used to have a lot of food allergies to but then I also used that as an excuse too(not saying you are)Think about seeing some professional people who can help you before it gets out of control. Most people dont purge..even just a couple times a week. I only do it that much too! And I dont binge so everyones ed is different.
  • cowlover22
    Options
    i've recently lost about 60% of my hair. i bruise easily. i'm constantly freezing. i get sick easier these days. i've lost control over my bladder function. i chug laxatives in order to have a proper bowel movement. i have insomnia. my skin is dry. i have dark circles under my eyes. dizziness. fatigue. mood swings.

i'm drawing a blank at the moment on anything else.
    ok you need to have the doctor help you with getting off laxatives. They just about killed me.Seriuosly. I have no large intestine and had a colostomy b/c of them. It is nothing to play with. I took laxs by the bottles and handfuls and still couldnt go..please see a dr. I am miserable from it.
  • flyawaybyebye
    Options
    Well I am a nurse so I know how many cals you can burn at work. Maybe you are at the beginning of an ed. Have some of the thoughts and some behaviors but not totally full blown...this is the time to go get some help. See a dietitian she can help you with the number of cals you need.
    I used to have a lot of food allergies to but then I also used that as an excuse too(not saying you are)Think about seeing some professional people who can help you before it gets out of control. Most people dont purge..even just a couple times a week. I only do it that much too! And I dont binge so everyones ed is different.

Thanks. I did wind up calling my doctor, because even at 1400 calories a day on average for the last week, I lost quite a bit of weight (about 8 pounds) which seems to me to be very weird, but I gave up diet soda at the same time, so that might explain it. I think I will try to get a referral to a dietician. I did call my doctor to get her input, and she suggested I up my calories to 1600 a day, and if I don't gain eating that, then to come in. I'm not sure I can do 1600 a day, but I'm going to try. I really dislike having to eat that much, though. I feel like it's way too much for long term health. I think I'll do it for a week, though, or until my BMI hits 17.5, whichever comes first. If after a week, I don't regain enough to hit a 17.5 bmi, I'll go to the doctor and ask for a referral. If I hit 17.5 (which would mean gaining about 5-6 pounds), I'll reevaluate.