Anyone else deal with these issues being GF?

Options
karenwill2
karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
So, everyone in my family knows I cannot have gluten. I bring my own food to gathering and I am still a big girl after being gluten free for almost a year. Yesterday at my family's Thanksgiving, I overhear my sister telling my mom that she put flour on the bottom of the turkey. So, I say...no turkey for me. She is a nurse with one child with Aspergers and another that is allergic to everything. Of all people I thought she would understand my pain, Instead she informed me that a little bit wouldn't hurt me in a snide way. When I eat gluten I, for lack of a nicer way of saying it, poo blood for a week, constantly. I had only been symptom free of this for two days as of yesterday. I accidently ingested something with just a "little bit of flour" I am sure. I had been sick for two weeks. It is incredibly painful and always very scary. I have had two scopes and they still don't know for sure what is wrong with me but we do know gluten makes it happen. so, yes, I am in constant care for this illness.

Anyways, that really hurts my feeling. Like I choose to have to always bring my own food, to always have to worry and worry and wonder how bad it is going to hurt me to eat someones food and she purposefully used flour to bake a turkey. So no biggie. I just won't eat it. But to berate me and tell me I am wrong to watch what I eat, to know that this is a very real illness and still act that way seems a little too much for me.

It just really hurt my feelings on a holiday where you are supposed to enjoy your family. I don't expect others to cater to my issues, That is why I bring my own food to these functions. So I ate my dressing and mashed potatoes and cheesecake because everything else was not gluten free. Now I just want to binge on safe foods to soothe my soul but I am refusing to do so. It isn't easy being a gluten free girl in an extremely glutened world.

Replies

• metisgirl
    metisgirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I hear ya girl....I totally understand....I was diagnosed a few years ago as a celiac and it is very difficult for people to understand that you cannot have any wheat or gluten at all....Cheating increases your risks of certain cancers....I also have the skin condition that comes with being celiac called Dermititis Herpetiformis....So----If I even breathe in or smell, or am near any wheat products at all, I develop blisters all over....Even shampoos, cosmetics, creams, spices almost everything is cross contaminated with gluten.....It really sucks....It is very difficult to have to explain to everyone every time you go out, that you cant eat this or eat that....some people get downright insulted.....You R not alone....Keep in touch and add me as a friend if you want and we can gripe over it together....Hugs are sent to you girl...
  • Amayrial
    Amayrial Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i hear and feel your pain. I watch everything I eat. constantly. No matter what. If I think there MIGHT be gluten in something I pass. It is just not worth it for me.

I too suffer from I the skin condition Dermititis Herpetiformis. When I eat gluten I break out in these lovely blistery bumps that remind me of chicken pox.

Just because your sister is a nurse doesn't mean she is knowledgeable about all illnesses or understand them. My sister (a RN also) had no idea what gluten was/is or what problem gluten could cause.

Take a deep breath, stand up for yourself and be strong. YOU are worth it.
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Wow! Your sister is lucky that you will even speak with her again. Flour on the turkey? Even before I had to be GF, I wouldn't do that. (Butter or chicken broth, baby). That's a lot of very active passive aggressive.

Yes, there will be accidently exposures to gluten, but we all work so hard to keep those down to a place where it won't hurt all the hard work we are doing to keep our bodies from killling us.

To play armchair pyschologist for a moment, perhaps she is "cranky" that she no longer center stage with the medically dramatic stuff. (My eldest son, 17, is my fellow recent celiac, is Asperger's too but I hardly even play the "Asperger's" card.). Why else would she be so snarky about it?

My side of the extended family is having a hard time understanding what is "safe" but they are at least trying to understand. (My sister asked me to bring my own meat and bread to be safe at Thanksgiving.) We hardly see Hubby's side so it isn't really an issue there either.

You have my permission to eat before going (and therefore dominating every meal time conversation), bring your entire meal (just makes sure it looks delectable), come at the end, or skip the whole thing totally.

And I concur with Amayrial's comment about how clueless most "medical" folks are about celiac stuff. Seriously, you can know more about gluten intolerence and celiacness after 1 hour reading info on the Internest than 99 percent of medical professionals know about it.

Take care,
    Lain
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I hope she isn't letting her son's allergies slide because she can't be bothered to care. What a dangerous game to play with peoples health. I'm not GF but I have friends who are, and I'm worried to even offer anything to them because I'm afraid I cross contaminated somehow. There are lots of healthier flours out there anyway, so I might just get rid of the wheat altogether. Or just store it away from my other baking ingredients.

Im still unsure of how all this works, but I'm surprised you can't eat the meat from the top if all the flour was at the bottom. Does gluten transfer through the food that easily?
  • LainMac
    Options
    I’m still unsure of how all this works, but I'm surprised you can't eat the meat from the top if all the flour was at the bottom. Does gluten transfer through the food that easily?

I am fortunate enough to live in an area where there are Celiac support groups that meet monthly and have a formal organization that runs it. (They have a huge yearly regional conference and quarterly mini conferences) They hand out a leaflet about Thanksgiving eating where it very directly says "Don't eat the turkey if it has been stuffed with regular bread stuffing." that comes straight from the dietician at Beth Israel Hospital in Boston. So yes, the experts say it is so. If you've ever baked from scratch, you know that flour gets everywhere and is easily airborne. Also, don't most people baste their turkeys from the drippings below?

Every Celiac/Gluten Intolerance person reacts differently to a gluten exposure. KarenWill2 seems to be what my support group calls a "gluten canary" ~ any little bit of exposure and symptoms appear. (We keep saying to our groups gluten canary that we will pay him to eat at restaurants who say they do gluten free and if he doesn't get sick then we will know they are safe for us to eat at.)

Hubby asked me what is the difference between a person who has Celiac and a person who has Gluten Intolerance ~ I told him that I believe that a GI person just gets sick from gluten but there is no long term intestinal damage where a Celiac may or may not get sick but their intestines are damaged by gluten exposure and if the gluten exposure is done on a regular enough basis, the body may never get a chance to recover.

My understanding is that all the "little bits" will add up if they happen often enough. There are enough accidental/hidden gluten exposures to recover from without adding any deliberate ones. It reminds me of the old quote "Even paranoid people have real enemies."
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I didn't think of the basting...
    Going to really work on making substitutions for stuff like that. What do you normally use for thickening gravy?
  • LainMac
    Options
    I am new to this Celiacness. So I just skipped the gravy at Thanksgiving. It wasn't worth it just to make it for me. (my teen who is also a celiac isn't into meat or meat flavored items)

I went on the internet and saw many different recipes that used GF cornstarch or GF floors like sweet rice.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I didn't think of the basting...
    Going to really work on making substitutions for stuff like that. What do you normally use for thickening gravy?

There are lots of other wonderful flours out there that aren't wheat based. I prefer sorghum or rice, but potato and almond are nice too.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    My family is also gluten intolerant but I am much more sensitive to it. When I felt they weren't realizing how important it was to me I told them I wouldn't be going home for holidays with them because my health was more important. That was all it took, just telling them that. Everything is not totally GF and Christmas will also be dairy/egg free.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Been there. Done that. It's so frustrating when people just. Don't. Get. It.

Once I had someone try to push 'just a little bit' of dairy at me and I looked him in the eye and said: If you want me to puke on YOU then I'll eat it.

Sometimes it helps to just be open and up front about what 'just a little' bit does to you.

In my experience, btw, health professionals tend to be the LEAST sympathetic. It's like they presume everyone is exaggerating their symptoms. I think this stems from having to deal with people who 'think' they're sick but really aren't. It's no excuse to treat a sister with such suspicion but I think you should have a talk with her and just tell her how you feel and seek her support.

Anyway, my family is pretty good about making sure there are Penr-friendly foods at family gatherings. I am very thankful for that.
  • dewybuttercup
    Options
    I am glad that I am not the only one who has to deal with this during the holiday season. I had a lovely thanksgiving, and to make it easy on everyone I just cooked at my place. I also tend to bring stuff with me to eat just because I don't expect everyone to know what on earth gluten is, how to avoid it, etc. (heck- it took me long enough to figure it out!) but every xmas when I visit my MIL she makes me feel like I am being gluten intolerant on purpose just to be mean. I know when I ingest gluten because I am in so much pain I can't stand straight.

Gah!

At least the holidays are almost over :)
  • Amayrial
    Amayrial Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    The problem with flour is that it's so fine, it floats all over the place and coats things where you'd never expect it.

It was explained to me when I was diagnosed :

take a slice of regular bread. now cut it into 48 cubes. one of those cubes is enough to trigger a reaction in someone who has Celiac disease. There are even some people who can be triggered by kissing someone who has eaten gluten. It's everywhere and quite difficult to avoid without extreme diligence.
  • CPReaves
    CPReaves Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am incredibly lucky. While I don't have the problem myself, 3 of my 4 kids do and so does my husband. MY mom decided that she didn't want to have to tell the kids (or my husband) that they couldn't eat something so she made everything for Thanksgiving completely gluten free and will do it again for Christmas. She had me bake her 2 loaves of bread so she could make stuffing, and everything was completely homemade including my GF rolls. Even the deserts were GF including a crust-less pumpkin pie and a GF crust pumpkin pie. I made GF vanilla wafers for a banana pudding. It was wonderful and she did an awesome job, and no one had any reactions. My 75-year-old grandmother is doing the same thing for her upcoming Christmas party. Of course, she has also decided that gluten may be a problem for her 80-year-old husband and is taking him off it too. My sister also makes sure that she always has gluten free options at any family gathering she throws. They make me cry with their concern and understanding.

Now, my husband's family is the complete opposite. His mother has gone so far as to say that this is a choice we have made. She has ALL of the same symptoms that my husband did and refuses to even look into it. If it doesn't come from a white-coated-individual, she doesn't believe it. His sister recently decided to throw an anniversary party for his parents. He had to tell her that if she didn't change it to a restaurant that the kids and my husband could eat at, we wouldn't be there. She changed it, but one of the kids and my husband still ended up getting contaminated. She refused to let me bake the cake for the party and said we could just bring a little one for us. Yeah...I made a giant one and everyone ate mine including her. My husband's aunt by marriage is also GF so she was so thankful that we brought the cake and had the sister change the restaurant.

We are at the point where we don't even want to visit his family any more much less let the kids stay with them without my 12-year-old daughter to watch out for the 3 of them (she's like a gluten hawk despite not having the problem (different dad)). I'm just glad we are 2 hours from them and only 2 minutes from my family. My mom even buys GF snacks to keep in the house for when my kids come over.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I could be a Celiac. I refuse the DNA test on the basis that I know the gluten triggers it. After docs not figuring out my issues and letting it go for 16 years saying I have IBS I now suffer from ulcerative colitis. It hurts so much and it takes only one speck to make me ill. As for gravy...oh my...I make an amazing gravy. You make it just like regular gravy but add a GF flour and whisk. I use a dash of Kitchen banquent and some hispanic bullion that is GF for flavor. I found this Hodgins Mill cake flour that seems to be GF and it seems pretty easily swap-able. I have yet to make a white gravy but I do believe I may try that tomorrow.... mmmmm biscuits and gravy. I digress. Labels mean nothing. No wheat, barley or rye unless you want me to be a very ill girl. My skin has cleared up since I left gluten in the dust. I no longer suffer from allergies or depression and can finally think clearly. It may be hard, but life is good.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Just because your sister is a nurse doesn't mean she is knowledgeable about all illnesses or understand them. My sister (a RN also) had no idea what gluten was/is or what problem gluten could cause.

Heh... We have a medical professional in my inner circle as well. I have to remind myself that this person, who I love dearly, is neither a dermatologist nor an allergist, and that they simply just don't understand. In their line of work, they see people who fake pain or illness in the hopes of getting pain meds or attention. Unless there's an EKG, a CT scan, a conclusive lab report, or some "scientific" proof, it's hard to convince this person of an illness they can't see. I didn't test positive for Celiac, but I have a sensitivity to wheat, so I get the tummy cramps and some of the other problems. But that's all in my head. I get the bumps on my hands because I apparently wash my hands too much, the water is too hot, I'm not drying my hands correctly, I need to use lotion, or I should wear gloves.

Some of my family is accommodating. My sister has a stash of gf meals in her freezer for when I visit. Not the stuff I'd buy, but it's a sweet gesture and the meals are decent.

Rather than get upset about family functions, like Thanksgiving, I eat before I go and I offer to bring side dishes. We went to a holiday party this past weekend where the dishes included meatballs (made with breadcrumbs), macaroni salad, salad sprinkled with imitation bacon bits, and one of those 3' party subs. I brought a side of what my family calls "corn pudding" and the gf maple cheesecake that I made. Otherwise, it would've been me and the veggie platter.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    It's taken a long time for my mom to get on board with my issues. She now is a lot better about asking me what foods I can have and she seems a bit excited to find me gf products when I visit her. Granted most I find nasty, but I appreciate the effort she has been putting into it more recently.

It takes time and I think we have to be diligent in asking about the ingredients. OP, I never would have expected flour in my turkey though! I'm still working on getting my grandmother to understand. It's funny because she gives me a tin of cookies made with flour, then says I made some of those egg white cookies and didn't use flour for you. :huh:

My friends are definitely more receptive to the situation.

Anyway, we can't really assume people know things. We are our best advocate. :)
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    My family is also gluten intolerant but I am much more sensitive to it. When I felt they weren't realizing how important it was to me I told them I wouldn't be going home for holidays with them because my health was more important. That was all it took, just telling them that. Everything is not totally GF and Christmas will also be dairy/egg free.

I eat gf, dairy free, egg free. Others in our family also have either celiac or allergies. All our holiday meals are nut free, gluten free, egg free and dairy free. My sister, who can eat anything, said it was one of the best meals she had ever had. It can be done and everyone will enjoy it.

Jeri in Calgary
  • smashatoms
    smashatoms Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I understand completely.
    It is difficult when the people who don't understand are your family. You sort of expect it from your coworkers and even friends once in awhile. I am sorry you got so sick-- it's terrible, and I've been there before.

Maybe it is to a point where you do need to bring your food with you. As unfortunate as that sounds. They just don't seem to understand, and I'd rather bring my own than spend the time being sick. People tend to get really protective over their food-- by this I mean they want people to think it's tasty and they feel happiness when they see other people enjoy it. If you bring your own food, it will separate your family from these feelings-- and maybe they will FINALLY get it, and will start making more of an effort to include you in their meals.
  • AllisonMart
    AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    It's so disappointing to hear that your sister who has kids with allergies treated you that way. She of all people really should know better. I'm with you, you can't expect anyone else to make accomodations for you so I bring all my own food too. Sometimes it makes people feel bad, but I would rather hurt their feelings a tiny bit than be sick for several days. They will get over it. I won't.

When I first was diagnosed my mom tried to get me to try fried mac n' cheese bites, saying "you can have just one". She just didn't understand how this is different from a diet like Atkins or South Beach. Now that she gets it, she's one of my biggest advocates. I also have a friend who always - ALWAYS - brings pizza whenever we have a get together at my house. Seriously, I don't bring rat poison into your kitchen! I know she doesn't mean anything by it, she just doesn't know how to cook anything and never remembers my gluten problem, so I just let it go.

And FYI to everyone - wheat flour dust hangs in the air for 2 -3 hours after you've used it, contaminating absolutely everything in your kitchen. Be very very careful when you must use wheat flour in your kitchen. Try to minimize the dust as much as possible - don't pour it, don't sift it, don't close the bag too quickly and get that little "puff" of flour.

Merry Christmas!
  • AllisonMart
    AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Otherwise, it would've been me and the veggie platter.

Ah yes, the veggie platter. We're good friends. :)