Why did you choose the lap band?

Options
sagetracey
sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
I can lose weight. I've done it before but I've always put it back on, plus some more. My Dr had suggested that I look into the band a couple of times but it wasn't until my husband said he didn't want to lose me and that maybe I should look into the band that I got serious about it.

I'm glad I did. I've lost almost one-third of my body weight. I've still got a way to go but already my knees don't ache, my blood pressure is down , I'm fitter, healthier and happier.

what was your turning point?

Replies

• TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I did not want to continue to have health problems and feel bad mentally and physically. LAst december when I had my annual physical, I weighed over 3oo pounds! I could not believe I had let myself go that much. I was on meds for blood pressure and diabetes. I decided that I needed to do something drastic and went to several weight loss surgery seminars. Lapband was a good fit for me becasue I needed a shorter recovery time for my job and I was going to have to pay for it myself and it was less expensive than the bypass. I had my band placed Feb 10, 2011 and have lost 87 pounds so far. I feel so great ans it is the best thing I have ever done for myself
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I had hit rock bottom at 380#. Was on diabetes meds, hbp meds, thyroid meds, depression meds. i knew I couldn't continue the way I was going. I went to a couple of seminars before I found Dr. McDowell at Baptist Metabolic Surgery Center. I immediately know I found the surgeon to take this challenge with. I was 367# the day of surgery and am now 325# or less (haven't weighed in a couple day). I had my surgery August 4, 2011. The lap band was my choice because I also was a self pay patient. Insurance would not cover it. I'm glad we made the investment in my health. Already seeing the rewards.
  • jewels68
    Options
    I made my final decision on getting a Lapband the summer of 2008. I was looking at my neighbors scrapbook from inviting them camping at a lake. So needless to say I was in a tank top and shorts manning the BBQ. It was the most devastating picture I had ever seen of myself. Topping the scale at 278 only being 5’2”. At that point I started looking into the Lapband. At the time my employer and my spouse’s employer didn’t cover the costs. At $18,000.00 I knew this wasn’t something I could swing with 4 kids. I remember one day my mother in law came up to our house for dinner and said she and my father in law were going to Mexico. She dropped the bomb on me that she was getting a band. At the time I was so hurt / jealous because it was something I wanted so bad. But still $8000.00 was a lot of money too.

My husband switched jobs to Comcast and he came home with a benefit package. In June I found out that 4 out of the 6 insurance companies covered the band. In July my MIL went to Mexico and did really well for the first 6 months to a year. Since she has taken all her fluid out due to health problems with my FIL and has gained it all back plus some. I got my band in Nov. 2008 and have not looked back. The first year I lost 92 pounds. I have stopped my Cpap and a few meds. Due to family history I will have to take blood pressure and high cholesterol meds for the rest of my life.

My husband has taken up running in his 40’s. Although I can’t run (don’t like it) I walk several 5K’s per year.

I wouldn’t give up my band for anything. Just like any diet though, if you eat the wrong foods or go over board, you do gain weight and have to start fresh the next day. But getting full on a small amount of food is great. Best thing I have ever done for myself.
  • TeresaWash
    Options
    I have been heavy since I was a child. Every year I just got heavier and heavier. Fortunately I come from a family that has few medical problems, so at 432 pounds I was on no medication for anything but I was borderline diabetic, borderline high blood pressure and at my last annual physical my colesterol finally crept over 200. My Dr wanted to put me on meds for colesterol. I said, how about the lap-band instead. I had looked into it, been to a few informative meetings but just never could get myself to bite the bullet. He agreed that I needed to do something but I don't believe he thought I could do it. It still takes a lot of dicipline, I have to eat right and I have to exercise to get my weight to move but the band has given me the missing link, it helps me control my hunger. I wish I had done it earlier.

My blood pressure is now perfect, along with my blood sugar and colesterol.

I have lost 136 pounds. I have 46 pounds to get to my original goal but It has gone so well for me that I have changed my goal weight. I will admit that after I hit 1 year my loss slowed down considerably. I will admit I am not as dilligent with my eating as I was the first year. I try to eat healty and stay away from junk food and I go to the gym 5 -6 days a week. It is still coming off but at a much slower pace. That's alright... it's going in the right direction.

I love my band, can't imagine life without it. At first you think you have to give up so much, but really you get used to it and I don't feel deprived of anything, exact oposite actually.... it gave me my life back.

Continued luck to us all!
  • soniathekitty
    soniathekitty Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I gave myself 5 years to get 100 lbs lost "naturally". This was 7 years ago or so now. I figured I'd put on 100 lbs in 5 or 6 years, I could certainly take it off, or figure something else out. I didn't want it to be the "easy answer". I was 4 years in and nowhere closer. I was coming up on 300 lbs, and I said out loud, with all seriousness, that so help me if I crossed 300, that I'd start cutting off lbs of flesh. I decided that in my last year of my promise to myself, that I'd use that time to start the process since I figured it'd take awhile with insurance and hoops. I'd been documenting already, so that part of it wasn't difficult. I had my surgery in July 2007.

Best thing I ever did. Though I'm not a beacon of success.. I've lost 75 lbs in 2 years. The first year, I did great, lost about 50 lbs. 2nd year, *nothing*. Seriously, I just backtracked and hung between 240 and 250. Got a fill, and my butt back in gear. The fill was the magic helper though, and so was adjusting my mindset, again. It sucked feeling like a newb 2 years into the process..

I'm down 25 lbs since May, and I feel like I'm back in the swing. Couldn't be happier, and I feel more equipped. Having and using the support here, and on FB, and in person.. helps a TON.
  • Kriszti29
    Options
    MY BMI was creeping up slowly and reached 35 early this year. I've been losing weight and being on various eating regimes since I was 16. Although I had success with weight loss, my pitfall was maintaining the loss. Every time I did well on any regime I rewarded myself by kicking all to the curb and eating everything I fancied.
    I needed a tool which doesn't go away, I cannot leave it at home in the bottom of the drawer or ignore it completely during holidays.

I first considered the band 5 years ago, but my family did not support the idea, and I told to myself I give another go to losing "naturally". So I did start Slimming World, lost 3 stones before my wedding - and promptly gained it back within a year.

Then I was in firm denial for a year about my increasing waistline and started hating myself more and more.

Then I made my mind up, get the funds together and had my band fitted in June 2011.

When I think back to my surgery it still makes me weepy: the emotional and mental relief was massive, and I still feel it every day. I'm putting in the hard work, because I realise this is a tool and only work as well with me as I do with it. So it's strict calorie counting and going to gym 4-5 times a week. I took up running and planning to register for a half marathon in next September.

I believe for me the band as a tool gives the necessary reprieve so I can figure out, practice, learn and adapt to a healthy lifestyle which will in turn help me maintain whatever weight I will end up losing. I'm 43 lbs in, and my goal is 84.6 lbs - to take me to 150. My "deadline" is 29/05/12 - which is going to be our third wedding anniversary.

So that's it in a nutshell, but you can read my blog on:
    http://chainedtothebandwagon.blogspot.com/

Nice to be amongst like-minded people!
  • elimendoza31
    elimendoza31 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I CHOSE THE LAPBAND CUZ AT THE TIME I DID NOT HAVE INSURANCE..SO IT WAS CHEAPER THEN THE SLEEVE..I HAVE BEEN OVER WEIGHT MY WHOLE LIFE AND 2 YEARS AGO I NOTICED I WAS SLOWER AND I HAD ALOT OF ACHES AND PAINS DUE TO MY WEIGHT, AND THEN THE DR. TOLD ME I HAD POCS. I WAS AT MY HEAVIEST AT 303 I COULD NOT BELIVE THE SCALE...I BROKE DOWN CRYING..I STARTED WALKING AND JOINED A GYM BUT IT WAS NOT ENOUGH SO I DECIDED TO DO THE BAND. UP TO TODAY I HAVE NOT REALLY LOST ALOT OF WEIGHT BUT IM HOPING WITH THIS GROUP YOU CAN SHARE YOUR STORIES...THANK YOU SO MUCH ..ELI..:flowerforyou:
  • jewels68
    Options
    Love my band. But you do have to have the mind set to make it work. I did great my first year. Second year I hit 100 plus pounds, third year gained 20 back. Blamed a new job and a broken foot on it. but it was me that over ate and ate the wrong foods. I got a fill back in Sept. I have now lost the 20 pounds and going in for a fill this afternoon to help me through the holidays. I wouldn't give my band up for anything.
  • MyTee150
    MyTee150 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Because its the safest WLS and I need the assistance in losing the weight.

To me its like asking, why did you buy a dishwasher? hahaha
  • Dulcislim
    Options
    I can lose 10 lbs like a champ. I just gain it right back. I am at the beginning of my band journey, but I am confident that this time I will reach my goal and maintain it.

The band was the only choice that I seriously considered. My insurance would cover bypass, sleeve and band. I didn't want the malabsorbtion and dumping issues with bypass. I didn't want 80% of my stomach "in the bucket" as my surgeon stated it. The band helps me to lose the weight slowly and safely.
  • Ditto from DulciSlim. /P2P
  • healinghands123
    Options
    I tried every diet out there. I would lose weight initially but then gain it back. My health was going down hill fast in the past few years. Diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. I would go to bed at night and seriously wonder if I was going to wake up each morning. Lapband gave me my life back. I was banded in March 2011, and although the weight loss is slow, i feel like a new person. The diabetes is gone, cholesterol down, and i participated in a 5k and a 4 mile race in the last couple of months. Prior to lapband I couldn't walk a flight of stairs without being winded. I go to the gym 4-5 days a week and exercise for at least 45 minutes. I just found this site and am looking forward to it helping me reach my weight loss goals!
  • AraceliRocks
    AraceliRocks Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been trying for years to lose it on my own with poor results and my health was suddenly going straight to the crapper. I started with elevated liver enzymes and then was diagnosed with diabetes which led to depression.
    Now, I'm no longer diabetic (well except gestational now) and liver enzymes are almost back to normal.

I have a big appetite and being able to feel full on a much smaller amount of food has been a huge blessing for me.

I love my band!