Cheese & C1

Options
Burlesque12
Burlesque12 Posts: 177 Member
Is fat free cheese allowed in C1? Somewhere in book it mentions FF cheese such as Parmesan is, but I dont see it on the list of foods.

Replies

• Burlesque12
    Options
    Nevermind, I found it :blushing:
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I never do fat-free cheese. They always replace the fat with sugar, starch, or chemicals.
    I allow mini babybel cheeses, pepper jack, etc. I manage portions by buying an 8 oz brick and cutting it into 8 even pieces. That's how I know what an ounce of cheese looks like.

I also use Parmesan cheese as garnish on vegetables frequently. Just log it. It doesn't add much but flavor!
  • Burlesque12
    Options
    Oh ok. So stick to naturally low fat cheeses? I love mini babybel. Thanks for your suggestions!
  • mybeachpal
    mybeachpal Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I like those cheese ideas, too. I see .. no skim milk on the plan. I am about half-way through the book.
  • Burlesque12
    Options
    This may be a dumb question...what about LF cottage cheese? Its full of protein & low in fat & sugars. Is it allowed in C1? It'd be a great snack if so. Im getting sick of greek yogurt already :(
  • DonnaLFitz
    Options
    Milk-based products like cottage cheese and well, milk, have high carbohydrates. Cottage cheese is also VERY high in sodium for some reason.

Dr. Moreno prefers yogurt in the plan, but it is also high in carbs, relatively-speaking. I found I had to add protein powder to my yogurt to give it more umpfh. I'm speaking of the non-fat yogurt here. It just did not stick to my ribs.

I only ate one yogurt per day, and made sure I had that in the morning. I put it in the same category as fruits and starches, which he says should be eaten prior to 2pm.

When I felt I wanted to lose weight faster, I replaced my morning yogurt with a mozzarella cheese stick or babybell gouda cheese. Your carbs go WAY down.
  • icandothis6
    Options
    See, that confuses me. I like cottage cheese and add fruit to mine. It says we can have Breakstone Live & Active cottage cheese on C1, but can't find it. I did find Horizon with Live Active Cultures in the health food section of one of our larger Kroger stores, but it was so expensive. $4 for 16 oz.!

I also called the number on the website where you can ask questions and was told cottage cheese, lowfat, was ok on C1. I am using the store brand and it has 80 cal, 2.5g fat, 0 trans fat, 5g carbs, 4g suger, and 12 g protein per 1/2 cup serving. I does have 530 mg sodium.

I also bought some Miso for my probiotic, but had a hard time finding it. I could not find a reduced sodium, but mixed it with low sodium chicken broth per the directions in the book. It was very salty. I think I will try it in just some hot water next time and see how that tastes. There is a recipe on there for Miso soup, but I don't think we can have Tofu yet. It's not something I thought I would like, but have had it out and really enjoyed it.
  • Burlesque12
    Options
    Thanks for that info! I bought probiotic supplements to replace nasty greek yogurt. I think I will buy Taras Whey Protein shake for morning. Its organic, & low in everything. Getting tired of eggs eggs and eggs.
  • MelissaSel
    MelissaSel Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I couldn't find anything in the book about protein shakes. I just bought a new carton of coconut milk (non-dairy, and I'm thinking it could be used as a healthy fat) and use it with whey protein powder. Anyone?
  • icandothis6
    Options
    IMO, I would think that would be fine.
  • icandothis6
    Options
    IMO, I would think that would be fine.
  • classyhoney
    classyhoney Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Milk-based products like cottage cheese and well, milk, have high carbohydrates. Cottage cheese is also VERY high in sodium for some reason.

Dr. Moreno prefers yogurt in the plan, but it is also high in carbs, relatively-speaking. I found I had to add protein powder to my yogurt to give it more umpfh. I'm speaking of the non-fat yogurt here. It just did not stick to my ribs.

I only ate one yogurt per day, and made sure I had that in the morning. I put it in the same category as fruits and starches, which he says should be eaten prior to 2pm.

When I felt I wanted to lose weight faster, I replaced my morning yogurt with a mozzarella cheese stick or babybell gouda cheese. Your carbs go WAY down.

I enjoy Kroger Carbmaster yogurt in a variety of flavors. For one container it's 60 calories, 1.5 grams of fat, 4g carb, 3g sugar, and 8g protein. If you don't have Kroger in your city, Dannon light and fit has a low carb yogurt
  • DonnaLFitz
    Options
    We don't have Kroger close by, but there is one near work I could get to on occasion... I'll check it out. The sugars in milk products are always a bear to my plan!
  • icandothis6
    Options
    I, too, eat mostly Kroger Carbmaster yogurt and have for years because of the low sugar. I just wish they had more flavors. I tried the carrot cake, but didn't like it much. I would love a lime!

I also use Dannon Light and Fit. I just bought a case of 18 at GFS because it was a great deal. There is vanilla, strawberry, and blueberry in the pack.
  • classyhoney
    Options
    So to be clear, the mini babybell and laughing cow cheese is ok in moderation for cycle one?
  • DonnaLFitz
    Options
    By unanimous acclaim! :laugh:

In C1, I always needed some more calories, and babybel cheeses just filled the need. It didn't add egg yolks, didn't add carbs, didn't add sugars, and didn't add fiber (which I'm pretty much maxed out on!)

Perhaps not as lean as Dr. Moreno would prefer for us, but I included it in my C1 plan to both breakfast and lunch.
  • classyhoney
    Options
    Thanks