Am I already far behind?

Options
I was shooting to have my wedding in September/ October of 2012 but I haven't planned a thing :/ Am I already falling behind? I don't know where to start and it seems I am doing it on my own since no one has offered to help and my mom lives in another state.

I know this isn't about weight loss but sometimes it helps to vent instead of eat :)

Where did you start? Venue? Date?

Thanks ladies! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• fae713
    fae713 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you're far behind I don't even want to think about where I am! For where to start, my fiance and I started with a date, but that had more to do with the fact that he is very aware that I am a person who has a strong recognition of symbology and the spiritual aspect of said symbols. So we set a date for December 22nd, the Winter Solstice. It later had to be changed because neither of my parents could get that day off since it was so close to Christmas. It was changed to March 20th, the Spring Equinox.

When we first began dating and shared our thoughts about what the perfect wedding would be and though they were different in some respects, were very similar in that neither wanted a traditional wedding and did not want it to be in a church or really a religious ceremony at all. We wanted it to be small, intimate with only the people that meant the most to us involved. I had a more formed idea, but we discussed what sort of compromises we would make and what the ceremony would look like. We didn't get a particular location, but we determined a kind of location. We didn't determine our exact list, but we came up with a good idea of who would be invited. We didn't have the clothes picked out or flowers or whatever other things we could come up with, but we had an idea of what we could agree on.

From there, when we have worked on it (which with both of us being procrastinators means not much until recently) it has been starting from those compromises and just expanding from there. I have leaned heavily on my friend who has married off many, many friends and has an idea of what to do. I have leaned heavily on our friends that have already gotten married and gone through the whole process. I have leaned on my friends who have talents or hobbies that can help me to figure out what to do. I have a photographer (several actually), a hair dresser, and several engineering friends who are helping us to do various things or will help us come the day of the wedding.

Essentially, don't expect it all to come together all at once, but start with what you know you and your fiance want and work from there, reaching out to friends and family as they offer help or you need it. I know the thought of planning and figuring everything out overwhelms me, and most others to be honest. But, it's not that bad if you just take one piece at a time and don't try to do all of it every time you work on something for the wedding.

Good luck!
  • jellykellybean
    jellykellybean Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can understand how you feel! My wedding is May 12, 2012, and my fiance and I are pretty much doing it on our own as well...and we really just got going! Like fae713 said, you just have to start with what you know about yourselves and what you want. We knew we needed to work around our jobs since we both work in higher education and so do most of our friends. So we knew May-ish would probably work best for us. We also knew we didn't want anything really over the top or super traditional. We decided to do a beach wedding and to keep it pretty simple. We also had to consider that his family is from Florida and my family is in South Carolina. So finding a venue was really the most stressful part for me. Luckily everyone kept telling me to do what I wanted. So we are doing it on a beach back in South Carolina (we currently live in Tallahassee).

Now we are working on all the details...or trying to anyway. We just sent out our Save the Dates today that we designed and had printed ourselves to save some money. My goal this weekend actually is to make a list of all the little things we need to do now so I don't get overwhelmed later. Honestly, just take a deep breath and remember it's all about celebrating!
  • AlexzKT
    AlexzKT Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend www.theknot.com -- the site can be a bit overwhelming, and it might have a lot of stuff that doesn't apply to you, but the big plus of the website is that if you register (it's free!), you get a big wedding checklist. I swear it has EVERYTHING on it. Tells you when you should do stuff and what not. The checklist also has A LOT of stuff that doesn't apply to me, but you can remove it from the checklist and only leave stuff that applies to you! If anything, it gives you a sort of framework and starting place.
  • GrainneOB
    Options
    Hi I'm getting married in February 2012, I pretty much organised the whole wedding myself yes at first it felt overwhelming but I looked up the internet a lot and decided I needed a price in which I could afford say 15 thousand, I needed to book the church and hotel reception and for the dates to match, I had to made sure my priest was free also on this date. I would recommend you shop around for your reception check out prices and what they have to offer, make appointments to see the wedding organiser of each hotel and have a look around make sure your happy and get a good feeling before booking anything. Then you have time to look up online to get idea's anything from invitations, wedding dresses, flowers, favors, shoes, wedding cars etc,.

It also helps if you know people who are handy, for example, my mother inlaw to be is making the wedding cake, a friend of the family is making my wedding dress not for free but I know shes very good and it wont cost as much as if I were to get it in the shop. My sister is doing up the mass booklets I just have to pick my readings and prays but this is also on line.

You will find wedding lists online or you could get yourself a diary or wedding organiser. Keep a list of everything yourself and prices. Try and keep within your price range as you don't want to over spend, you dont want to have to pay back any large loans or visa cards.

Choose your colour scheme for your bridesmaids I only have one it makes it easier you only have one extra person to worry about instead of a load of girls. But what ever your happy with in the end it's your wedding.

Hope I helped you in some way, best of luck.
  • munkegurl2252
    Options
    I don't think you are far behind. Start with picking a date you would like it around and make a rough guest list so that you make sure to pick a venue large enough to hold as many guests as you could have attend. Then find a venue that works around the date you want and the number of guests you may have coming. That is the first few things I did. Good luck in planning and have fun!
  • Julielynn83
    Julielynn83 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    We're doing a Las Vegas wedding! We are either getting married the weekend after 4th of July or Labor Day weekend! So much planning to do~!