how to tell my parents and get help

Options
So far, all I've been able to do is meekly ask my parents to take me to a nutritionist (which never happened). Im 15 so if I want help I will have to tell my parents. The problem is, I don't know how to go about that....
"Mom, Dad, I think I'm anorexic. I need help" just seems... wrong. So if any of you have any ideas, I'm all ears. Or if you've been around the block and have your own story of how you came clean that would be great too :)

Replies

• flyawaybyebye
    Options
    Caterpillar, I have a daughter who is almost 10, and if she were in your shoes, I'd want her to say exactly what you just wrote. But if that's too scary, I've seen eating disorder diagnosis worksheets online. You could print one out and fill it out, circling the things that apply to you, and give that to your parents with a note that says you think you may have a problem and would love to get some help. I'm willing to bet they are already worried about you, and will be glad you reached out to them. (((HUGS)))
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    well you dont have to say the words anorexia if you dont want to just say trouble eating and how you feel about your self. they are not dumb i am sure..might be in denial, but that is where you tell them that you were told to ask for help b/c of people who have this disease know what it is like and all the problems it causes. if they wont listen..cant imagine..talk to your school nurse. or even if you are afreaid to talk to them maybe she could.
  • caterpillar3
    Options
    thank you. your idea to write a note was what i finally decided to do. it took me about ten minutes to get the courage to tell my mom to go get it and read it then give it to my dad. i am now officially diagnosed i guess, tonight i went to the doctor with my parents. i have to say, their reactions almost made me cry. although, i had to try so hard to hide the smile that was coming on as the doctor told me how unhealthy i was, how skinny i was compared to everybody else (which i know is aweful)... i now have like, ten different appointments scheduled with ten different people. i am so nervous.

but i feel so much better about it now. thanks so much, your replies were what finally pushed me to tell; they helped me make an affirmative plan. ik this thread doesnt have much activity but i hope it answers questions for others and gets them to help.
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    glad you are so motivated to get better! keep it up