Any Race Walkers or Run-Walkers Out There?

Options
mscarolm
mscarolm Posts: 4 Member
I race-walked my first full marathon in Disney World, January 2010 with a finish time of 7:23:03 (yes, that's hours, not minutes :smile: ). I upped it to run-walk for my second Disney marathon in January 2011 and got closed out at mile 23.5 after 6:30:00 which was considerably faster than my time the previous year, but that's another story. Then I both the More/Fitness Half and the Hamptons Half in about 3:30, give or take a few seconds.

Are there any other "back of the pack-ers" like me out there?

Replies

• skemery
    skemery Posts: 100
    Options
    For my marathon I'm expecting to be pretty far back in the pack. Really, my only goal is to finish ahead of the sag wagon, so there may be quite a bit of walking going on. Disney has a required finish time of 7 hours right?
  • DKing33
    DKing33 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have my 1st half coming up next summer, but yes I am a run/walker. I don't know that I have any desire to every run a long race like that without taking walk breaks.
  • mscarolm
    Options
    Technically, it's 7 hours from the time the last person crosses the starting line. So, if you're not the last person to start, you have more than 7 hours, like I did my first time.

Some people take walk breaks. I take run breaks:-)
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I became a run/walker in May of this year. I had run 10 half marathons before that and my best time was 3:21. After I started run/walking I cut 21 minutes off my time and am now consistently at, or just below, the 3:00 hour mark. I completed my first full marathon in 6:25 and some change. I am hoping to finish my next full marathon (April 2012) around 6:15.
  • mscarolm
    Options
    Wow, that's fantastic! I'm about to start training this weekend for the NJ Marathon with Team in Training again:-) I'm still on the fence about whether I'm going to put myself through another full marathon, or go for the half instead. My current plan is to follow the training plan for the full, and then make the final decision when the time comes to submit all of the race weekend paperwork.

Worst-case, I'll be really well-trained for the half!
  • what923
    what923 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You're all inspiring! I am by no means a 'fast' runner but I do find some satisfaction in racing against myself and trying to set PR. Just remember even if you are the last one across the line- you're still faster than all the people sitting on the couch 'wishing' they were doing something. Just keep going!
    I have done 5 halfs and have one in April. Training all summer and looking forward to my first full in October. We'll see how the training goes but for a full I may definitely have to incorporate some walk/run intervals. Just finishing still puts you in the elite 1% of people who have completed 26.2 miles.
    My confusion comes in that if only 1% of people have done that- how can there be so many tens of thousands of runners at all theses races (granted those are big ones like NY & Chicago- but I bet I could find one almost every weekend in every state that had a couple of hundred). Are there lots of people doing 20-30 races every year?
    We're all winners.....