HELP!

Options
I must be doing something COMPLETELY wrong!
I've been dieting and exercising for 30 days now, and my weight hasn't budged. I'm counting calories on this site, and I get around 1800 calories a day, which is what I need to lose weight. Soooooo why am I not losing weight?
I'm a very frustrated momma of two (3 years and 1 month boys) so any help would be MUCH appreciated.
</3 Kacie

Replies

• lexik09
    lexik09 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I must be doing something COMPLETELY wrong!
    I've been dieting and exercising for 30 days now, and my weight hasn't budged. I'm counting calories on this site, and I get around 1800 calories a day, which is what I need to lose weight. Soooooo why am I not losing weight?
    I'm a very frustrated momma of two (3 years and 1 month boys) so any help would be MUCH appreciated.
    </3 Kacie

what are you doing for exercise? and are you making sure that your meals are balanced? like are you getting enough good fat, dairy and good carbs? how often do you exercise? I exercise everyday with 1 day of full rest every week. i am now up to 100 minutes everyday. I do vigorous workouts that include yoga stretches, weighted hula hoop, strength training and elliptical. I try and work all the groups everyday: balance, core, strength and cardio. so far weight and inches keep falling off! after the first of the year i want to start the 30 day shred and want to get a group of people together so we can keep eachother motivated and track our progress by taking a before pic, a during pic after 2 weeks and an after pic.
  • lmulvey2010
    Options
    what is the 30 day shred???
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred is a video by Jillian Michaels - 20 minute exercises each day for 20 days. I'm on day 4, and it's crazy hard, and I've been crazy sore, but it's worth it! Wearing a heart rate monitor I've burned between 242-268 calories each time, which is pretty good for only 20 minutes of working out!

I would make sure you're not eating your exercise calories back for sure, and make sure you're not overestimating what you burn. I spent my first month at a standstill, though, and sometimes I think as women our bodies are somewhat more stubborn. Hang in there, it might start melting off!
  • rileylandy
    rileylandy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If your son is 1 month, are you still breastfeeding? I know I couldn't lose the rest of the baby weight until I was done breastfeeding. Don't know if it was the hormones, or my body just refusing to let go of the extra lbs but, that was definitely a facor for me. Once I stopped breasfeeding it dropped really fast.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    If your son is 1 month, are you still breastfeeding? I know I couldn't lose the rest of the baby weight until I was done breastfeeding. Don't know if it was the hormones, or my body just refusing to let go of the extra lbs but, that was definitely a facor for me. Once I stopped breasfeeding it dropped really fast.

Good point! Some women lose weight like crazy while breastfeeding, and others hold the weight no matter WHAT they do.
  • lmulvey2010
    Options
    Thank you for the info and advice :) I am not having a difficult time with the exercising, I am having an awful time with the eating! I do great breakfast to after lunch. But about 4 ish I start wandering the cabinets resulting in stuffing my mouth with things I shouldnt. I dont do well at dinner or evening eating. Not sure why either. I am a pretty high strung person and I was always a busy person until 6 months ago when my son was born. But now that I am home all day I eat ALOT more than I should!!! VERY FRUSTRATED!!! I nedd advice on the dieting part please :((
  • JenRLo
    JenRLo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to explore some new hobbies! You went from super busy to at home. Do you do any crafting at all? Calligraphy, needle point, etc will keep your hands busy plus the areas need to be neat so no food allowed! I've even picked up my kid's DS and gamed for a while to keep occupied. If you celebrate Christmas, pick up some little craft kits for ornament or card making. Something to give you an outlet.

Hang in there! It's easier to work on this now while your kids are still young than to wait like I did!
  • vribaldo
    vribaldo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I do 45 minutes of Turbo Jam a couple of times a week. You burn around 700 calories for the 45 minute "Cardio Jam" and 400 something calories for the 2o minute workout. I lost 30lbs in 4 months doing it before I got pregnant with my son. And I wasn't even counting calories then either! I wasn't eating terrible but definitely wasn't hardcore dieting. Lmulvey, as far as the dieting part, its okay to snack but you have to snack healthy! Eating snack around 4pm may even make you eat less at dinner. My favorite low cal snacks are apples and peanut butter, a yogurt and granola bar, Special K sour cream and onion cracker chips (27 chips are only like 180 cals), low fat cheese and baked crackers, low fat string cheese, and my absolute favs are the 100 calorie packs by Nabisco. Hope that helps!! Like JenRLo said, try having something to do at that time of day if you're feeling like eating a bunch. Even if its just going for a walk or doing some laundry or cleaning out a closet and then by the time you're done with that it will be dinner time!! Or you could always try drinking a huge glass of water and then chewing some gum.
  • Klynn63
    Options
    Are you eating the right portion amounts? Not going over? Are you drinking all your water amounts? Staying away from sodium? On any medications that would prohibit a weight loss? I eat anywhere form 1200-1400 calories a day and work out about 35 mins walking and my weight is falling off. So something your doing isn't working for you, evaluate it and let us know!! :)
  • kacieluzier
    kacieluzier Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sorry! I couldn't find the post, lol.
    No, I'm not breastfeeding. He sooo didn't like it.
    I'm getting the essentials that I need dietary wise, but I'm trying to stay between 1200-1500, even though this site says I should be getting closer to 1800, which seems like a lot now.
    I'm starting back on the 30 Day Shred tomorrow (I was doing it before my pregnancy everyday and its kicked my booty. Loooove JM <3 ), but I've been going to the gym at least 3 times a week, 30 minutes on the treadmill, 30 minutes on the elliptical, 10 minutes free weights. Then at home I have my basement set up for interval training of running, jump rope, vigorous jumping jacks, and Tae Kwon Do stuff... Maybe my hormones are really off whack?
  • jmehere
    jmehere Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try staggering your calories. If you don't give your body enough calories every day, your metabolism will adjust to whatever you're giving it and you won't lose weight. I do better when I'm staggering my calories. I've had bits of time where I did super low calories for a week and didn't lose any weight. Then I ate without tracking for a day and actually lose a little. You gotta trick your metabolism. If you have a high calorie day followed by a low calorie day, your body will think there is plenty of food to be had and it doesn't have to compensate with a lower metabolism. Here's where I figure my calories: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
    There's a button for a staggered schedule at the bottom of the calculator. I'm doing regular fat loss.
  • jmehere
    jmehere Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Oh, and you just had a baby! Congratulations! Yeah, I think after baby comes our bodies are a bit stressed. Your hormones may be telling your body to hold on to that weight because it thinks there isn't enough food.
  • kacieluzier
    kacieluzier Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
    Just a thought. I had my tubes tied as well... Is that messing with me? lol. I sooo need to make an appointment with my doctor with all these questions, lol.